Source for MOTM Frac DIY

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

phasebash
Ultra Wiggler

Source for MOTM Frac DIY

Post by phasebash » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:47 am

With the recent movement of all MOTM DIY (5U) parts to Bridechamber, where does one obtain DIY panels and PCBs for Frac / 3U MOTM modules?

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:03 am

I doubt that there were any Frac panels for MOTM modules available ever. At least not by Paul/Synthtech. Definately never any pcbs for Frac.

However, I've built some MOTM pcbs for my Frac systems and could even maintain the pcb-mounted pots. MOTM485 and MOTM190 fit nicely behind my Frac panels. I designed them myself and had them manufactured by Schaeffer.

The same goes for some Oakley boards.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:04 am

You can just barely fit a MOTM440 behind a frac panel.
That was one of my earlier bananafication projects. Blacet sells blank panels with pilot holes pre-drilled in his 2x6 pattern. This is a butchered one of those with a thin plastic overlay for legends. Not the best way.

phasebash
Ultra Wiggler

Post by phasebash » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:34 am

e-grad wrote:I doubt that there were any Frac panels for MOTM modules available ever. At least not by Paul/Synthtech. Definately never any pcbs for Frac.

However, I've built some MOTM pcbs for my Frac systems and could even maintain the pcb-mounted pots. MOTM485 and MOTM190 fit nicely behind my Frac panels. I designed them myself and had them manufactured by Schaeffer.

The same goes for some Oakley boards.
Just making sure I'm understanding this correctly, these MOTM 5U PCBs fit behind a 3U Frac panel?

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:40 am

Some of them, yes! Chances are that any 5U-project that has 3 pots only in a vertical row will fit behind a Frac panel.

Just have alook at a pic of my Oakley Noise (first version):

A pic of my MOTM190 and MOTM485 would look similiar.

However, those projects with 4 pots in a row (300VCO; 510Wavewarp.) won't fit.
Last edited by e-grad on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

phasebash
Ultra Wiggler

Post by phasebash » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:42 am

NICE! This looks totally doable! That settles it dude, I'm going to Frac-ify the Oakley/MOTM modules I desire. Don't expect any pictures soon, but when I do get to it I will post photos. Begin emoticon abuse: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :goo: :goo: :sb: :goo: :mrgreen: :love: :razz: :oops:

phasebash
Ultra Wiggler

Post by phasebash » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:47 am

For anything larger than the Blacet 3" panel sizes the Paia blank panels look promising too.

Norman_Phay

Post by Norman_Phay » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:20 pm

I repaneled my MOTM440 and my MOTM300s behind frac panels that I designed using front panel designer. They are tight, but will fit, and I intend to repanel all of my other MOTM modules. Making sure the PCB is perfectly centered vertically is crucial as there is like 1mm of clearance on either side. Somewhere on Blacet's site is a diagram showing the height measurements for their knobs, and if you follow this, it's possible to reduce any MOTM panel to frac size without losing any fuctionality. You have to use smaller knobs!

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:26 pm

i usually abandon the panel-mount pots when doing frac builds of 5u pcbs... the spacing is too wide in the smaller format, and it limits design options. instead, i mount the board on brackets and run flying wires to the pots.
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

phasebash
Ultra Wiggler

Post by phasebash » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:28 pm

Where could I find these brackets you speak of?

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:37 pm

phasebash wrote:Where could I find these brackets you speak of?
in the sheet metal section of a good hardware store; some assemble required. i use aluminum, drill first and then bend them in a vice.
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”