Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Best manuals in euro?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

ee_
Ultra Wiggler

Best manuals in euro?

Post by ee_ »

I've collected a fair number of 4MS modules in my first 1-2 years of euro, have generally been happy with their stuff (besides the SMR, which I found underwhelming) and their service is responsive and great. But another little thing that impresses me about 4MS is that they are one of a small # of euro companies I've bought from to A) include physical, printed, full color manuals, and B) have manuals that are not only very thorough, but also clearly written with the general end-user in mind.

That is to say, the manuals have a lot of content, but are also accessible and easy to understand and often contain very practical patching/usage examples, vs. excessive tech-talk.

Manuals aren't often a necessity in euro, especially with simpler modules, so it's understandable a lot of companies forego that or offer an online-only manual. I was learning one of my 4MS modules this week and just wanted to give them a shout-out for excellent documentation, but it also got me wondering what other brands are strong in this department? I'm always a little surprised to get a hard-copy manual, let alone a thorough and well-written one.

Beyond 4MS, Xaoc is also quite good -- not quite as thorough as 4MS, but nicely printed/written with all the essential info there in a very clear way. Mutable Instruments and Make Noise also have good, thorough manuals, but I don't think they include physical copies of the manual? Could be wrong, I've only owned MI and MN secondhand, so maybe I just didn't get them in those cases.
Jturbide
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Best manuals in euro?

Post by Jturbide »

Rossum is pretty much unbeatable in this department imho
rocknrolla
Common Wiggler

Post by rocknrolla »

I find Intellijel manuals just incredible. You can see how much love they put into it. Something like Quadrax or Metropolix have so much detailed and well written information.
exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper »

Another +1 for Intellijel. Super thorough and easy to understand.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

FT/S US only: MPD224, Traktor S2
aadamm
Common Wiggler

Post by aadamm »

cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

Top of my list is Frap Tools. The Manualone is very thorough and very well written. They also have a bunch of instructional videos.

Honorable mentions to Intellijel, 4ms, & Klavis
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)
mgscheue
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mgscheue »

Make Noise for me. And great instructional videos, too.
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Powerdwarf »

north coast synthesis manuals are unbeatable nr1 not only in euro context but synths in general i guess lol. above the bar really
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief »

Seconding 4ms, Intellijel, Xaoc and Mutable.

Make Noise generally has great manuals with patch ideas, though in PDF form if I remember right. But I wasn't 100% thrilled with the Strega manual since it prefers to leave some things cryptic. I did figure most of it out between the manual and experimentation before too long though.

Noise Engineering also has very good online manuals.

If I remember right, Klavis and Livestock both have brief but decent printed manuals.

U-he CVilization comes with both a full manual and a briefer cheat sheet.

Expert Sleepers' online (because it's updated frequently) documentation is quite good I think.
agorathamantis
Common Wiggler

Post by agorathamantis »

mannequins

:sstorm:
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa »

Joranalogue and ALM has great manuals.
New track! Our first release in a year and a half. Mostly based on the TINRS Fenix IV. :godzilla:

James_S
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by James_S »

Noise Engineering are definitely amongst the best. Schlappi too. At first I thought the Mannequins were useless, but now they're starting to make sense!!
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

Jturbide wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:08 pm Rossum is pretty much unbeatable in this department imho
Yup, Rossum
megarat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by megarat »

Another +1 for Intellijel. Their manuals are clearly a top priority and are the result of a lot of thought and effort.
:drunkbanana:
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu »

All those are good. I would add Doepfer, because the manuals all had a consistent layout and included sample patches. More recently though they don't seem to be updating or releasing manuals for the newer modules.
Stu B
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

starthief wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:25 pm Seconding 4ms, Intellijel, Xaoc and Mutable.

Make Noise generally has great manuals with patch ideas, though in PDF form if I remember right. But I wasn't 100% thrilled with the Strega manual since it prefers to leave some things cryptic. I did figure most of it out between the manual and experimentation before too long though.

Noise Engineering also has very good online manuals.

If I remember right, Klavis and Livestock both have brief but decent printed manuals.

U-he CVilization comes with both a full manual and a briefer cheat sheet.

Expert Sleepers' online (because it's updated frequently) documentation is quite good I think.
Another vote for Intellijel

I really liked the Strega one though. Basically goes: “Switch it on, turn all the dials to 12 o’clock, set the volume…..
OK, go” And that was me lost in it for 2 hours.

A paper manual would be nice with everything but I get that it saves cost and trees so I can live with it.
chai baba
Common Wiggler

Post by chai baba »

Joranalogue and Instruo are my favourite. Make Noise is doing a great job, too.
Aleyas
Common Wiggler

Post by Aleyas »

Intellijel’s manuals have never let me down.

Side note: while ALM’s manual’s aren’t anything to swoon over, their video tutorials and demos are just phenomenal.
Stopinterview
Common Wiggler

Post by Stopinterview »

lisa wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:37 pm Joranalogue and ALM has great manuals.
I agree that ALM puts a lot of thought into their manuals. They are like a text book.
Good knowledge when the time is put in.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

Jturbide wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:08 pm Rossum is pretty much unbeatable in this department imho
I'm a big fan of Rossum modules, I have several of them, but I happen to think the manuals are not that great.

Doepfer's manuals are great, and the full 100 manual serves as an excellent general reference for modular synthesis.

I like manuals that have an applied approach rather than just a description of the functions approach. Intellijel is another maker that follows that approach.
gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator »

Fully agree on 4ms, and what has been said as well about others that produce manuals. However, I don’t need a printed manual included, as I can and do print them out myself as needed.
Racks
Solaris Site

WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

cbm wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:35 pm Top of my list is Frap Tools. The Manualone is very thorough and very well written.
I really dislike this manual. I can appreciate the wisdom and marketing available by lumping it all together, but I'd much prefer single manuals per module. Adding a general overwiew manual to cover their layout language and common elements.

The information and presentation is excellent but the conflagration that is all of them bunched together sucks.

What happens when one of the many modules gets updated? How many overlapping ManualOnes will I need to keep it all clear over time? Lessee, version xx.x applies to Brenso, but not the current Fallistri. For Fallistri I need to look at ManualOne versionxx.2 Which ManualOne has the correct Fumana details for my module version? :hmm: <--None of these may be an issue at present, but over time the single manual path chosen invites this kind of issue where single manuals per module with a common overview manual do not.

I think the classic Doepfer manuals found a mce balance between having enough and not too much. AS someone said their newer modules do not seem to have the same level of manual as in the past.

If you're an info junkie, Mskala's Northcoastsynthesis manuals are an absolute clinic. As is the site overall. If you're into synths -at whatever level- you should read that site.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

gonkulator wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:07 am However, I don’t need a printed manual included, as I can and do print them out myself as needed.
:agree: I didn't use to agree and thought all modules should come with a printed manual. I still think they should come with a quickstart type doc.

But it doesn't make sense anymore to put a full manual in every box when other means of docs distributions are kinder to the planet. Where whole generations seem to favor videos anyway.
Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc »

I agree on both points re: FrapTools ManualOne. Nice info, good diagrams. But it'd honestly be better with one per module.

I quite enjoy the Bastl manuals. Concise but thorough. And i like the pamphlet format.

I dont need a printed manual, though it is kinda nice when they do, ill admit. But DO include a sticker or two! :hihi:
Joe_D
Common Wiggler

Post by Joe_D »

Powerdwarf wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:47 pm north coast synthesis manuals are unbeatable nr1 not only in euro context but synths in general i guess lol. above the bar really
Agreed. North Coast Synthesis manuals are pretty close to being a crash course in synthesis concepts and electronic circuit function and design as well as an excellent manual.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”