Abstract Data Octocontroller ADE-32 firmware 2.0

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Abstract Data Octocontroller ADE-32 firmware 2.0

Post by dBVelocity » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:06 am

So I posted this already in the other firmware thread but it made sense to start a new one as it's been years since that one was started and this is a significant update :

So on a whim I checked the downloads section on their site and firmware 2.0 has arrived!

I'm rushing to install now but the new features are gonna take a bit to learn and integrate. Manual is updated as well. Note that loading the new firmware resets to factory settings. Happy wiggling!

1) NEW FEATURES • Visualization mode adds a new way for users to see the signal activity at each output. • Output lock ensures no parameter or edit changes can be made while an output is locked. • Unipolar 0-5V and bipolar +/-2.5V options added for all LFO output types. • New V-Trig and S-trig options for Pulse output types. • Two new Digital Noise algorithms added. • Korg-compatible 2 PPQN added as an external sync option. • Two new ‘kick and snare’ Loop sets added for quick, simple beat creation. • Arpeggios and S&H Gate looping now have options to run forward, backward or alternating. • Universal ‘Exit Edit Mode’ button functionality to easily exit any edit mode. • Factory reset functionality allows users to quickly reset all outputs to default factory settings.

Goes on to list bug fixes and improvements. :guinness:

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Abstract Data Octocontroller ADE-32 firmware 2.0

Post by bengersfood » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:50 am

Has anyone tried to do this? I am waiting for the EPROM to program and it seems to have stalled. Easy Uploader just continues to say "programming. Please wait". Using a Mac and Catalina. I now have no idea what to do next.

nikmettez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nikmettez » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:12 am

I upgraded yesterday. went smooth for me.
Also on a mac with Catalina.

Maybe try downloading the file again?

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bengersfood » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:19 am

I have now downloaded and re-run the process and restarted my Mac so many times I don't know what to try. I've de-installed and reinstalled the drivers too.

The cable is the one I bought from Abstract data

davide3737
Common Wiggler

Post by davide3737 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:23 am

No problem for me on a PC. Are you sure the cable is plugged in the right way with the black lead towards the bottom of the module? Also worth trying a different USB port and not a hub.

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bengersfood » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:29 am

Have tried all four USB ports directly on the back of the mac and I just attached via a hub cos - who knows – have reseated the cable in the Octocontroller two or three times. The black wire is downwards. The port shows in EasyUploader. But absolutely nothing happens after clicking upload and choosing the EPROM file

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bengersfood » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:32 am

I mean if I need to wait 30minutes to program the EPROM do say and I will go off for however long it takes, but I'm assuming it should be a matter of minutes. Also, nothing shows in the Easy Uploader console after clicking upload except the file path for the EPROM file

davide3737
Common Wiggler

Post by davide3737 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:21 am

Frustrating. Best to try contact@abstractdata.biz.

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bengersfood » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:23 am

Have done so. I've given up for now. Perhaps when I next get a chance to pop it out the case (next weekend) there will be some suggestion of something different I can try

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:52 am

Assuming you've installed the drivers for the FTDI which would be before you use the uploader I can't reason why this isn't working for you. It should be a minute or two for the eeprom file and a bit longer for firmware but not half an hour. Perhaps try from another computer if you have access to one.

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bengersfood » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:19 am

Sadly I only had brief access to a different computer. The update decisively failed on that machine (rather than hanging). Not my day. Searching the web brings up quite a lot of posts about FTDI driver problems under Catalina, so I don't think it's that unusual.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:56 pm

Decided I'd make a vid overview of the new features and it's now up for viewing or heckling. :lol:

nikmettez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nikmettez » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:12 am

nikmettez wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:12 am
I upgraded yesterday. went smooth for me.
Also on a mac with Catalina.

Maybe try downloading the file again?
Just saw that on the mac in my studio i am still running Mojave (10.14)... :doh:
Apoglogies for the misinformation. So the issue might be related to 10.15.

peabreu
Common Wiggler

Post by peabreu » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:29 am

Should be noted that the drivers for the ftdi cables are not stable for Catalina, so your milage may vary.

BadmojoUK
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BadmojoUK » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:40 am

dBVelocity wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:56 pm
Decided I'd make a vid overview of the new features and it's now up for viewing or heckling. :lol:

Nice video. Thanks.

Just need to find my FTDI cable now!

GRK_Astronomer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GRK_Astronomer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:44 am

Ordered the update and programming kit. Looking forward to both.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:07 am

283F6CB8-075F-424A-8751-CF6CB2FA9961.jpeg
I made this techno remix of an ambient/downtempo track. 🧉

FraMauro
Common Wiggler

Post by FraMauro » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:39 am

I've not had a chance to install this yet. The manual just lists the new features under firmware release notes. I presume the it has been re-written for the new features, but instead of ploughing through it is there a listing of how to use just the new stuff?

Excited to play with this!

FraMauro
Common Wiggler

Post by FraMauro » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:56 am

dBVelocity wrote:

Thanks for this, well done!

here's a ton of stuff to take in, I'm going to have to sit with this and the manual for a long time to get on top of it all.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:44 pm

Thanks, I did sit down with the old manual and new one and compared everything to be as thorough as possible. I'd still recommend getting the main tables printed out which is basically all that's needed to find the individual settings. Going through the functions a few times gets it all familiar pretty quick and the visualization mode can help when you're in the voltage range options too.

SkoPe
Common Wiggler

Post by SkoPe » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:50 pm

Just updated mine :guinness: took me long time to figure out that had to press the button on the back after click “upload”.
I’m not using the FTDI cable shown on the Abstract Data website, instead I’m using an FTDI adapter that used to upgrade the module before and cant remember that have to press the button, maybe something have changed.

Thanks dBVelocity for the video, that’s helpful! :yay:

SkoPe
Common Wiggler

Post by SkoPe » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:57 pm

bengersfood Had exactly the same problem as yours. Try pressing the reset button on the back after click upload the EEPROM file, that worked for me. To upload the firmware its not necessary.

lomma-kommun
Common Wiggler

Post by lomma-kommun » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:09 am

dBVelocity wrote:

thanx! but too much information to handle. Have to watch again at x0.2 speed lol

koyl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by koyl » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:07 am

I just purchased an octocontroller second hand, which apparently run a very early frimware (there's no muting for the tracks), so I need to upgrade. Can someone confirm that THIS cable will work. First time I'll ever doing this...

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:39 am

That cord does look promising, however it says it's a compatible cord so I couldn't really say for sure. A couple of factors is that it needs to be the 5v version and the other is the type of pinout i.e. the black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green. Which is shown ..though it's a stock photo.
Case in point, I ordered a cable well before the 2.0 release when I grabbed my second unit running first firmware. (Synced externally but continues to run with clock stopped reverting to internal tempo)
Cable had the stock photo and correct label. Cable arrives with totally different color layout. I contact seller and they were confused about it and didn't even realize there was other versions?! I googled a bunch and sent them images/info and they agreed for a return and pulled the listing as they did not have correct one stocked.

Sorry for the long post but others may find it useful to know. Make sure you can return it if it's incorrect.
Otherwise use the links from Abstract Data page for trusted sources.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”