Gamechanger Audio - Motor Synth Thing

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Blingley
Veteran Wiggler

Gamechanger Audio - Motor Synth Thing

Post by Blingley » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:04 pm

[video][/video]

Wat.

I am confused, and intrigued, and I want one.

Ceres
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ceres » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:28 pm

:sb:

I wonder if Erica will do a eurorack version of the motor oscillators. I like this companies left field ideas like their plasma distortion. I hope they have success so they can continue to come up with more crazy ideas.
Last edited by Ceres on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

latigid on
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by latigid on » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:28 pm

21st century Hammond tonewheel organ.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:25 pm

wow that just blew my mind. sounds really really good too. very ambitious and exciting project

euro oscillator would be cool too, likely more realistic price point for many. but still big applaude for the giant motor piano

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:42 pm

Cool stuff. My first question on seeing it was about the portamento. I think they’ll need to minimize that for people to really fully take to the idea.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:30 pm

So extremely unnecessary.. which makes it cool. :love:
I made this techno remix of an ambient/downtempo track. 🧉

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:48 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:Cool stuff. My first question on seeing it was about the portamento. I think they’ll need to minimize that for people to really fully take to the idea.
maybe setting the instrument to assign a different motor for each keystroke instead to changing the speed of the same one
they´d have to have all the motors spinning at a different default speed, that covers the full keyboard range. Then the processor could just pick the one spinning at the nearest frequency to the key pressed...this could reduce the distance/portamento to the minimum possible. So maybe the remain acceleration change would be heard as the "character" he wants, instead of portamento.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:50 pm

anselmi wrote: maybe setting the instrument to assign a different motor for each keystroke instead to changing the speed of the same one
they´d have to have all the motors spinning at a different default speed, that covers the full keyboard range. Then the processor could just pick the one spinning at the nearest frequency to the key pressed...this could reduce the distance/portamento to the minimum possible. So maybe the remain acceleration change would be heard as the "character" he wants, instead of portamento.
Yeah when asked about the portamento he mentioned that's why there are so many motors. So I'm guessing they're planning on something along the lines og what you're describing.

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:38 am

The re-invention of the Dereux Organ...

In my archive I found some information about the Dereux organ from the sixties. This was a French invention - the generator was based on rotating discs which scanning the drawn waveforms (it was a capacitive scanning - not optical).
So, a slightly different approach to the Hammond organ - the Dereux generator was based on different wave forms / sounds (organ registers).

Here are some pictures from the manual:

Interesting to see similar invention in the year 2019, again - very exciting... good luck!

8-)
red

Josef_K
Common Wiggler

Post by Josef_K » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:46 pm

I really like this concept with the motors, I am a fan of Hammonds and Mellotrons and this feels like the polysynth counterpart to those. Not too impressed with the sounds in the video though, but it'll be interesting to hear what this can do further down the line

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:45 pm

I think that pedal sounds incredible. It has some magic crunch to it.. . I'd snatch one up the instant they are released

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:39 pm

I think it's pretty cool myself. I've kind of had the same idea in my head about using motors. Many Many moons ago when I was in my early teens (70's) my friend and I was kind of working on a Sci-Fi movie idea. I was going to be a robot. I had a microphone that I was going to mount inside my mask. I kind of circuit bent an old AM radio (not that I knew that's what I was doing) and used it to amplify the audio.

I mounted the board in a tin can and I mounted a little electric motor in the can. The motor would spin with a little bent piece of wire. The wire would hit one of those momentary type of switches that has the little spring steel piece that when pushed would push a little button and break the circuit. I had one of the audio wires attached to the switch so when the wire arm on the motor hit the switch it would cut the audio momentarily. I was trying to make my voice more robotic that way, maybe kind of like a Vocoder.

I never really perfected it and we lost interest in the movie anyway.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:07 pm

Groovy! I like it, even though the sound sounds a little underwhelming compared the engineering involved. Totally encourage them to pursue it, though. I like the ideas from that company.

I'd like the pedal version with some option to break the motors to sound more screwed up; if its direct drive maybe it's possible to tighten or loosen up the rotation - or make the rotation uneven. (or not, still the pedal version looked great)

Kind of reminded me of The Scanner.
[video][/video]

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:54 pm

EPTC wrote:Groovy! I like it, even though the sound sounds a little underwhelming compared the engineering involved. Totally encourage them to pursue it, though. I like the ideas from that company.

I'd like the pedal version with some option to break the motors to sound more screwed up; if its direct drive maybe it's possible to tighten or loosen up the rotation - or make the rotation uneven. (or not, still the pedal version looked great)

Kind of reminded me of The Scanner.
[video][/video]
That's just a vibrato scanner out of a Hammond tonewheel generator organ. I have three of those scanners I keep handy to maintain the 1955 M3, 1952 M3, and 1962 C3 Hammonds my wife and I have. Those scanners can be bought in places like eBay for $20.00.

8-)
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

There are only four fingers .... Never Quit, Die Falling Forward.

Return to “General Gear”