Studio Electronics modules HERE FINALLY

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:30 am

Certainly a lack of resonance CV out there. The VCA with plenty of stages is a good idea, only experience of that so far is the dual series VCAs in the Erica Polivoks "improved" VCA clone. That sums the output of two VCAs rather than sums the CV to affect a single VCA.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

milkshake
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by milkshake » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:13 am

That VCA looks good, its on my list.

The ergonomics of the whole series looks good to.

tsunamisucks
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tsunamisucks » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:23 am

okkoto wrote:what's the HP on these bad boys?
obviously 12, 12, 12, 8

RobJB06

Post by RobJB06 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:01 pm

I always thought the SE1 sounded great, not sure why i never hung onto one... i guess the 4089 and AMP would give you a lot of that sound?
I sold my Macbeth Backend recently, a great module but i only really needed/wanted the filter and to a lesser degree the vca, so maybe this will cover some of that territory?

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:08 pm

I just noticed this looking at the pictures posted above....

these modules have a Pittsburgh Modular logo on them right next to the SE logo.

Looks like it is a collaboration.

onthelees
Wiggling with Experience

Post by onthelees » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:19 am

TheDegenerateElite wrote:I just noticed this looking at the pictures posted above....

these modules have a Pittsburgh Modular logo on them right next to the SE logo.

Looks like it is a collaboration.
It is - this was documented elsewhere on this forum. I am not sure exactly what role Pittsburgh is playing, however.

fusionid
Common Wiggler

Post by fusionid » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:37 am

yes it is a collaboration born out of NAMM meet up. There is a youtube video with details.

I think what it is is that Pittsburgh is making them circuit boards, face plates etc in the far east but components are hand loaded in CA.
:despair:

analoglsd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by analoglsd » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:24 am

Whoever wrote the product descriptions for these modules should get some kind of award.
Never thought that I'd be tempted to buy an SE filter clone module. :hihi:

fusionid
Common Wiggler

Post by fusionid » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:45 pm

Looks like all boomstars will be ported to eurorack. :omg:

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:38 pm

Dual Envelopes Module, from the manual http://www.studioelectronics.com/assets ... al-1.1.pdf

Last edited by Bob Borries on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:39 pm

Last edited by Bob Borries on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:41 pm

Ring Modulation, Noise, Sample & Hold Module, from the manual http://www.studioelectronics.com/assets ... al-1.1.pdf

Last edited by Bob Borries on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Yamaha SE-80 Filter Module, from the manual http://www.studioelectronics.com/assets ... al-1.1.pdf

Last edited by Bob Borries on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Oscillator Module, from the manual http://www.studioelectronics.com/assets ... al-1.1.pdf

As well as individual modules 2 customizable systems are available.

MODSTAR SEITO 104 hp:
Midi 6hp, Oscillation (x2) 32hp, Filter (not SE80) 12hp, Multiple 2hp, Levels 10hp, Sci-Fy 10hp, Shapers 12hp, AMP 8hp, LFO 6hp, Outs 6hp.

MODSTAR SENSEI 172-176 hp:
Midi 6hp, Oscillation x3 48hp, Filters 32-46hp (1x 3003, 4075, 5089 or SE80 +1 resonant flt.) Multiple x2 4hp, Levels x2 20hp, Sci-Fy 10hp, Shapers x2 24hp, AMP x2 16hp, LFO 6hp, Outs 6hp. Hugged-up nicely in Pittsburgh Modular’s Move 104 and Move 208 Mobile Eurorack Modular Cases

The Midi module, LFO Module, Outs Module, and multiple module are still in development.
Last edited by Bob Borries on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Let's say you have a one-voice skiff, and this is the sole amp. The patch you have in mind has dynamics, but you also want a touch of tremolo. The first "stage" shapes the amplitude/dynamics of the sound as you would imagine, the second can be used to create tremolo.
Why wouldn't you just mix the two CVs in a DC mixer and use one VCA? :despair:
:nana:

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:58 pm

BananaPlug wrote:
Let's say you have a one-voice skiff, and this is the sole amp. The patch you have in mind has dynamics, but you also want a touch of tremolo. The first "stage" shapes the amplitude/dynamics of the sound as you would imagine, the second can be used to create tremolo.
Why wouldn't you just mix the two CVs in a DC mixer and use one VCA? :despair:
Well... I always hook up velocity to my vca's and this would save a step that keeps a mixer free to do other duties. Having an extra pot to dial in my velocity level if very helpful to me. Then again it would have been nice to have a switch to enable parallel vac's for stereo.

botstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by botstein » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:18 pm

I'm pretty excited for these. I don't have a lot of filter clones but have eyed the boomstar synths in the past, mostly wishing they would bring their filters to euro, which they have here. I would be most interested in a SEM type filter.
TheDegenerateElite wrote:Apparently, these are the first in an entire series of modules based upon the Boomstar circuits.

SE is showing the whole thing at 2015 NAMM. At least 11 modules.
Does anyone know where they will be at NAMM? Or have hints at the rest of the 11 modules, of course?
fusionid wrote:yes it is a collaboration born out of NAMM meet up. There is a youtube video with details.
I'll try to find this. Interestingly, Rich and I also met at NAMM last year and are showing our (Tipsy Circuit's) first module this year at the Muff Wiggler booth (#1371), so one could say that our is also a collaboration born out of meeting at NAMM.

Analogia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Analogia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Selador wrote:
njdoyle wrote:Can someone explain the stage inputs on Amp?

Stage 1 / 1
Stage 1 / 2
Stage 2 / 1
Stage 2 / 2

Stage :hmm: :despair: :doh: :bang: :banana:
From what I can tell, it's two amps arranged in series, with two CV inputs to control either.

Let's say you have a one-voice skiff, and this is the sole amp. The patch you have in mind has dynamics, but you also want a touch of tremolo. The first "stage" shapes the amplitude/dynamics of the sound as you would imagine, the second can be used to create tremolo. Or, replace tremolo with a velocity voltage from a MIDI/CV converter, and you have a an all-in-one amp with velocity.

I could be completely wrong, however. :ripbanana:
Bob Borries wrote:Image
Bob, this superb copy belongs in the BM Manual! Care to donate it?—with attribution of course.

Marc St. Regis

Analogia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Analogia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Analogia wrote:
Selador wrote:

Stage 1 / 1
Stage 1 / 2
Stage 2 / 1
Stage 2 / 2

From what I can tell, it's two amps arranged in series, with two CV inputs to control either.

Let's say you have a one-voice skiff, and this is the sole amp. The patch you have in mind has dynamics, but you also want a touch of tremolo. The first "stage" shapes the amplitude/dynamics of the sound as you would imagine, the second can be used to create tremolo. Or, replace tremolo with a velocity voltage from a MIDI/CV converter, and you have a an all-in-one amp with velocity.

Bob, this superb copy belongs in the BM Manual! Care to donate it?—with attribution of course.

Marc St. Regis

Let's try that again. Selador, this superb copy... Like that montage Bob. Cool toning.

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:52 pm

Analogia wrote:
Selador wrote:

Stage 1 / 1
Stage 1 / 2
Stage 2 / 1
Stage 2 / 2

Marc St. Regis
Sure! No problem, go for it.

analogjeff
Common Wiggler

Post by analogjeff » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:46 am

THey look great.. I have some of their stand alone synths and they are great..

clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:57 am

exciting times.

ive been going back n forth over the idea of boomstar for a long while. but went with euro system instead. and now SE comes to euro...

the discrete, cascaded AMP is certainly first on my list.
Last edited by clusterchord on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- music for film, tv and theatre -

Analogia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Analogia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Bob Borries wrote:
Analogia wrote:
Selador wrote:

Stage 1 / 1
Stage 1 / 2
Stage 2 / 1
Stage 2 / 2

Marc St. Regis
Thanks Bob, but isn't the copy Selador's handiwork?

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:54 pm

Analogia wrote:
Bob Borries wrote:
Analogia wrote:
Selador wrote:

Stage 1 / 1
Stage 1 / 2
Stage 2 / 1
Stage 2 / 2

Marc St. Regis
Thanks Bob, but isn't the copy Selador's handiwork?

Huh? What I did was a heavily photoshopped the version that was on the Matrixsynth website, I wasn't aware who took the photos.

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2014/12/new- ... mstar.html

fusionid
Common Wiggler

Post by fusionid » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:35 pm

i giggled when I saw this thread linked on your website :tu:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”