Videofreex

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., daverj

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Videofreex

Post by daverj » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Although they didn't do video synthesis, I thought I'd mention this here.

The Videofreex were a collective of video makers back in the 70s that started in NYC and moved up to the Catskills. They were probably one of the most well known of the various video groups back in those days, and among other things created "Lanesville TV", the world's smallest TV station (pirate TV of course).

Some film makers are doing a documentary about them and trying to raise money through Kickstarter to restore many of the old video tapes the Freex made.

I spent a month living at their house, and 6 months living a couple of miles up the road from them before I joined up with the Experimental TV Center.

While they didn't do synthesis directly, they did help support it by organizing a monthly group phone call between various designers and engineers around NY state. Here's a picture of us when we got together at the Videofreex house one weekend. Richard Monkhouse was visiting that weekend, but he stayed hidden in the picture.

Matos
Modular masturbator

Post by Matos » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:51 pm

That's awesome. Some fascinating history right there. Will hit the kickstarter on payday.

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:55 pm

Wow that is a great photo.
Makes me miss the Public Access of the time.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Awesome photo!! You guys look like you're having a great time. Thanks for sharing.

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:58 pm

:woah: what a hairy bunch you were!

:hmm: the photo made me think of firesign theater for some reason... do you happen to recall what was in the bottle that carl geiger was holding above your head, dave?

cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:23 pm

It was undoubtedly some type of beer. (Budweiser?) The guys in the front have a couple of them too.

And I suspect that's my arm holding it. I was probably toasting whatever the two Chucks were laughing about.

nickciontea
brownshoesonly

Post by nickciontea » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:21 am

seems like a very worthy kickstarter!

snufkin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by snufkin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:17 am

love the Videofreex !
WTB: any Digisound80 / Digisound 80 faceplates/pcbs/kits.

Return to “Video Synthesis”