Bona Fide Module Design Check-List

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!
radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Bona Fide Module Design Check-List

Post by radiokoala »

I am wondering what are some of the practices that would let you release a module that would make most of the customers happy – talking here some of those which not everyone does but if in a perfect world they probably would have?

Aside from shipping modules for free instead of selling them for moolah what comes to mind is:

1. Reverse protection on +12V and -12V busses. Still not everyone thinks it's superior of an approach to letting people blow three hundred buck modules by accident. :doh:

2. Buffering inputs / outputs.

What else? :)

Also, some pro-tips and engineering advice is welcome. I am by no means an electronics pundit or know-it-all (currently I am at measly 0.05% of knowledge one can have), but my suggestion would be to go after SSI version chips than e.g. V2164s, as those can melt their own plastic coats off if positive/negative supplies are turned on not at the same moment but one after another as far as I recall, so yeah, that's good 1977 year-like behavior, I thought we could have improved with time... correct not always. :mrgreen:

Finally, there is one “always good to do” approach-related question I do have and this one is with regard to putting 0.1uFs between positive power supply voltage and ground. I have seen many DIY kits / modules etc where it was done for every chip and can't recall anything (it may exist) where it wasn't done. Now my question is, do we have this crappy of the power supplies where this could be an issue for things like CMOS ICs, timers etc? Not everyone's is linear but mostly everything is stabilized or stable enough if we are talking switching power to probably really affect things a big deal (I may be wrong :roll: ). Talking unsolicited triggering on unused inputs – sure, that may be needed and would probably be more useful than between Gnd & Vcc.

So, in other words, I wanted to ask if 0.1uF between those is bona fide / mandatory always or there are situations where it's OK to skip this (extra-?) step? In particular, I'm interested in TLC755, CD40xx, TL07x and stuff like that.

I hope that this thread proves useful for beginner engineers like me and helps them/me/us to create a more quality product and potentially avoid mistakes or excessive headache. There is malign intent, of course, and consciously disregarding safety measures, but then some people may not have the experience needed to know they should design their stuff a certain way and account for x/y/z and include a/b/c...

All the very best & thanks all!
:chug:
Witness 60 minutes of audio-visual industrial psy-techno
jam-offering (and press like so this wipes away minecraft
videos clean from the trends and we get to see
some proper rave action there, FINALLY):

X WITHOUT Y BOOK(available! pm)
/ My electro-rap debut!! (video)
/ Analog & modular videos
:smoke:
TumeniKnobs
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Bona Fide Module Design Check-List

Post by TumeniKnobs »

Here’s a bunch of ergonomic features I’ve come to like/desire on modules:

Shrouded power header
Clearly distinguishable inputs and outputs
Legible fonts big enough to read
LEDs that aren’t too bright
Flush mounted LEDs (so they can be dimmed with film if necessary)
Chunky knobs that don’t wobble
Finger room for said knobs
Knobs with position indicator on top
Elongated mounted screw holes

Just my 2 cents. Cheers!
radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Re: Bona Fide Module Design Check-List

Post by radiokoala »

Quality 2¢, worth a :dollar: – Thank You! :)
Witness 60 minutes of audio-visual industrial psy-techno
jam-offering (and press like so this wipes away minecraft
videos clean from the trends and we get to see
some proper rave action there, FINALLY):

X WITHOUT Y BOOK(available! pm)
/ My electro-rap debut!! (video)
/ Analog & modular videos
:smoke:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”