Skinny Puppy WHY?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.
jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Skinny Puppy WHY?

Post by jbuonacc »

i was lucky to get the original Aduck (Duck)/Philth 12" from the Isolation Tank mail order catalog back in the summer of '95 (sold it years ago). i didn't have a turntable at the time, so brought it to a friend's house to dub it to cassette. it didn't say on the label what speed it was, so for a year or two until the SubConscious 'Paradigm Shift' CD comp came out i was listening to both songs at 33 rpm instead of 45. i was pretty shocked when i first heard them at actual speed, and still prefer them slowed/pitched down.
jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc »

the 'Bites' discussion/q&a yesterday was pretty nice, though kind of just an extension of the 'Remission' discussion. i think the biggest surprise for me is how little that Ogre had to do with the writing/recording process of all the songs. i'd love to hear from Dave Ogilvie, but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

i'd really urge anyone who is more than just a casual fan to support cEvin Key on Patreon for stuff like this and all the unreleased tracks/demos that he's put out over the last few years. sounds like he'll be posting a lot of stuff soon that he's recently found on the early 4-track and demo cassettes. he'll be continuing to discuss the making/background of each album in succession, and i was really happy to hear him mention that he'll be getting into Doubting Thomas as well. i got into Skinny Puppy, etc after most of this stuff was released and had everything pre-Process thrown at me all at once. Doubting Thomas was as important to me as anything else. this Patreon thing of his is like a dream come true, i really couldn't ask for more and couldn't have imagined that most of this even existed.
Ebolatone
Oblique Wiggler

Post by Ebolatone »

Why?

Because.
What are they doing, in the dream house
Modulus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Modulus »

jbuonacc wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:32 pm this Patreon thing of his is like a dream come true, i really couldn't ask for more and couldn't have imagined that most of this even existed.
Totally agreed. I'm very interested to get the behind the scenes stories, thought processes, production techniques, etc for TDP, Last Rights, and Doubting Thomas specifically. These albums are some of the most legendary and enigmatic pieces of electronic music ever created imo. It really is a dream come true to get this insight and i'm thankful Cevin is putting it out there.
computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled »

jbuonacc wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:32 pm the 'Bites' discussion/q&a yesterday was pretty nice, though kind of just an extension of the 'Remission' discussion. i think the biggest surprise for me is how little that Ogre had to do with the writing/recording process of all the songs. i'd love to hear from Dave Ogilvie, but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

i'd really urge anyone who is more than just a casual fan to support cEvin Key on Patreon for stuff like this and all the unreleased tracks/demos that he's put out over the last few years. sounds like he'll be posting a lot of stuff soon that he's recently found on the early 4-track and demo cassettes. he'll be continuing to discuss the making/background of each album in succession, and i was really happy to hear him mention that he'll be getting into Doubting Thomas as well. i got into Skinny Puppy, etc after most of this stuff was released and had everything pre-Process thrown at me all at once. Doubting Thomas was as important to me as anything else. this Patreon thing of his is like a dream come true, i really couldn't ask for more and couldn't have imagined that most of this even existed.
Yea Ogre had really nothing to do with the music. The songs were always recorded then the vocals were laid down after. I was hoping for more technical info about the creation of the songs, especially Assimilate and The Choke.
Stuff: Hydrasynth . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq ESQ-1 x2 . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Ensoniq VFX-SD . DX7 . TX802 . SPX900 . MPC Live . RE-303 . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . Behringer RD-6 . E-mu Emax II . ESI-4000 . Akai S900 . PCM 41 . Korg SDD-1000x2 . SQ-64 . LXR . LXR-02
what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by what gives? »

mome rath wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:13 pm download III is a masterpiece that can never be outdone
I've gone back to this album recently and the stuff Western did on that album still obliterates me completely. No one has ever come near the stuff he did on those tracks. Genius.
jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc »

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Saw that video on cEv's Patreon. It confirmed that i was pretty much spot on with my own attempt.
Stuff: Hydrasynth . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq ESQ-1 x2 . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Ensoniq VFX-SD . DX7 . TX802 . SPX900 . MPC Live . RE-303 . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . Behringer RD-6 . E-mu Emax II . ESI-4000 . Akai S900 . PCM 41 . Korg SDD-1000x2 . SQ-64 . LXR . LXR-02
jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc »

computer controlled wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:01 am Saw that video on cEv's Patreon. It confirmed that i was pretty much spot on with my own attempt.
well, it's really pretty simple, not sure how one could even "get it wrong". never bothered to try it myself, i'm not into that sort of thing. nice to see/hear though, thought some others might enjoy it that might not have seen it on the Patreon page.
computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

It's far more complex than this video lets on, this is a very simplified version of it to clearly hear the melodic elements. Dwayne did a hell of a job on these strings.

Return to “Artist Discussion”