I dunno

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: I dunno

Post by dubonaire »

Have you looked at the trigger sequencer on the Erica Synth Perkons HD-01? It’s a very clever implementation for four voices.
Cfp
Common Wiggler

Post by Cfp »

I have an A 157 on consignment at Mission Synths in San Francisco, but I am unable to get it myself for about another month. If Metasonix happen to be going to San Francisco I am happy to ask them to let you take it, or if someone else wants to middleman this feel free to PM.
batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch »

If you get an a157, install the unofficial firmware it really opens up the module and delivers on all the things Doepfer didn’t end up building into it.

https://www.rusche.ch/a157b/#install
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT
Days since last purchase = about 3
hammerhead
Common Wiggler

Post by hammerhead »

Kent wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:52 pm I wouldn't bother with the sequencer. Just adds to the expense and better sequencers are easy to source.

Put a fucked up and circuit bent digital delay in it that has a toooobz in the feedback loop or something.
+1 on no sequencer please, for the reasons Kent says. Would just be a gimmick.

+0 on effects, because gimmick, unless it has to with timbre, i. e. comb filter or phaser, and has CV inputs but no free running onboard LFOs.

I'd probably buy a tube based drum machine if it gave me more (or cleverer) VC over the sounds than other units. Stuff like morphing a hihat into a cluster chord, or a tom into a snare, under VC.
Burnin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Burnin »

+1 for more CV inputs
Is there a chance it could use banana jacks instead of 3.5mm jacks?
papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz »

I love the D-1000's sequencer despite - or because - it's so simple and super intuitive, to me it's an essential part of the instrument.
My D-1000 has a Sputnik 5 step sequencer installed in the lid, I haven't used it for years.
Finest EMS gear service and 208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and don't know of any cheap Synthi secret market.
I don't offer support for attempts to build clones of EMS equipment.
Please don't ask, thanks.
Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

It would be interesting to have some context from the advocates of the onboard sequencer. It really comes down to a price:performance ratio and hearing the actual music created would help to usefully frame the discussion.
papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz »

A friend plays the D-1000 with own sequencer, I play the Synthi. All is live and improvised, one take recording.

Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

Thank you!
luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog »

I'd also prefer no sequencer, and more CV control.
bkbirge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bkbirge »

I'm fine either way. I like the idea of self contained, I also like the idea of choosing my own sequencer. Most of all I like the idea of Eric making a new drum machine.

Modular & Dork Rock:
https://bkbirge.bandcamp.com/

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." ~ Puck, 1903
Burnin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Burnin »

I agree with what they said ^
Miss my D2000 and regret selling it.
Had a delptronics triggerman for it and worked amazing. Patched it with a matriarch for a really really fun time.
papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz »

Never sell an instrument you might regret selling. ;)

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix »

batch wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:42 pm If you get an a157, install the unofficial firmware it really opens up the module and delivers on all the things Doepfer didn’t end up building into it.
https://www.rusche.ch/a157b/#install
:tu:
Stu B
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

I’ve always had half an eye on the DRM with cv triggers but the lack of cv control over any parameters has stopped me. Apparently Vermona have said it would be too complex to implement, or words to that effect.
Cfp
Common Wiggler

Post by Cfp »

Stu B wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:30 am I’ve always had half an eye on the DRM with cv triggers but the lack of cv control over any parameters has stopped me. Apparently Vermona have said it would be too complex to implement, or words to that effect.
I had a Pollard Syndrum, and sold it for the same issue. I do use a Simmons SDS8 though, which is similar to the DRM. The pitch bend up or down is my favorite feature and allows a lot of shaping, the decay too but, like you note, it’s really a hands on machine without cv. I like that personally, because it’s manual, so different sort of results. Or if it’s more in the background then it’s cool to add cleaner pitches under the D-2000, or to add subs on the 1 beat that detune slowly or whatever. I’ve always thought the Pearl Syncussion was interesting with LFO and S&H.
Stu B
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

Cfp wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:44 am
Stu B wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:30 am I’ve always had half an eye on the DRM with cv triggers but the lack of cv control over any parameters has stopped me. Apparently Vermona have said it would be too complex to implement, or words to that effect.
I had a Pollard Syndrum, and sold it for the same issue. I do use a Simmons SDS8 though, which is similar to the DRM. The pitch bend up or down is my favorite feature and allows a lot of shaping, the decay too but, like you note, it’s really a hands on machine without cv. I like that personally, because it’s manual, so different sort of results. Or if it’s more in the background then it’s cool to add cleaner pitches under the D-2000, or to add subs on the 1 beat that detune slowly or whatever. I’ve always thought the Pearl Syncussion was interesting with LFO and S&H.
I have the Michigan Synth Works SY0.5 in my rack, it’s a one voice euro version of the Syncussion and it’s great, I love it. A Euclidean trigger pattern and modulation everywhere just never gets old. I could do with a sampler for more considered synthesis because you could build great drum racks with it but it’ll be while before I get one.
Cfp
Common Wiggler

Post by Cfp »

Stu B wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:38 am I have the Michigan Synth Works SY0.5 in my rack, it’s a one voice euro version of the Syncussion and it’s great, I love it. A Euclidean trigger pattern and modulation everywhere just never gets old. I could do with a sampler for more considered synthesis because you could build great drum racks with it but it’ll be while before I get one.
Good to know you like the Michigan Synth Works module, I will check it out. I know they have a full dual standalone Syncussion replica with CV out now, like the Psycox clone, and sounds very close to the OG, but I’m sitting back and waiting on this new stereo Metasonix machine before any new drums.
Stu B
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

Cfp wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:03 am
Stu B wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:38 am I have the Michigan Synth Works SY0.5 in my rack, it’s a one voice euro version of the Syncussion and it’s great, I love it. A Euclidean trigger pattern and modulation everywhere just never gets old. I could do with a sampler for more considered synthesis because you could build great drum racks with it but it’ll be while before I get one.
Good to know you like the Michigan Synth Works module, I will check it out. I know they have a full dual standalone Syncussion replica with CV out now, like the Psycox clone, and sounds very close to the OG, but I’m sitting back and waiting on this new stereo Metasonix machine before any new drums.
I haven’t heard the full size desktop in the flesh but if the sound of the SY0.5 is anything to go it’s going to be really top drawer, I’ve been really impressed by how good it sounds right across its pallete.
metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix »

A stereo mixer is possible with tubes. Such things are NOT made very often because it takes a LOT of tubes.

In this example, a very simple 4-input stereo-out mixer needs at least 6 tubes. At least you get the possibility of CV gain control separately on each input and both outputs. We could make this as a separate euro module but it won't be cheap or small. And yeah, lot of power for heaters.
tubestereomixer.jpg
Cfp
Common Wiggler

Post by Cfp »

Wow, that’s interesting. In the thread about the custom M-1000 you mentioned that aux sends would add tubes and issues and cost and make it too massive to be a module, but—since this hypothetical stereo mixer will already be large—, could it also have spring reverb? The R-56 prices have gone insane, so it seems there is serious demand for your reverb. That would make me jump higher at least.
synchromesh
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synchromesh »

Sorry for being off-topic, but I just wanted to post a couple of photos of my 4-input mono-out valve mixer, a WEM FR30 from the early 1960s:
wem-fr30-front.jpeg
wem-fr30-rear.jpeg
Also, happy (belated) birthday Eric! :party:
metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix »

Cfp wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:10 am could it also have spring reverb?
And I will tell you again, we can't get the reverb springs. Especially not the small one in the R-56. Always "out of stock".

Make all the requests/demands for extra features you want. They will raise the price---IF they are even possible to make. Apparently I can buy as many of these digital things as I want.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/r ... ontal-mini
bkbirge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bkbirge »

Heh, feature creep reminding me of The Homer.

Modular & Dork Rock:
https://bkbirge.bandcamp.com/

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." ~ Puck, 1903
gringostar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gringostar »

Jokes about thicker 808's aside I'd be fine with it being just 3-4 voices but with those voices having a switch that would route them to either a tube distortion or a non-distorted output along with each having CV for trigger, velocity, and pitch, as well as an individual out. Having space for a sequencer is fine but I would say I'd be better with 12-16hp worth of space for one than the 8 the D2000 came with.

The only feature creep item that would be a nice IMO would be to have a gate input on each voice that would swap the routing switch, or maybe just have the velocity CV input be a VCA input that sends that voice to the distortion when it's set to the clean output or something. I have no idea how hard either of these would be to implement.

Return to “Metasonix”