Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.
batch
Collector of fine modules

Re: Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Post by batch »

Structure is extremely powerful and yes, it ships with a ton of shaders built in. You really have to think of it as a complete video modular system in a module.

A patch (node set) is made up of upto 4 nodes that are available in various configurations (note: these configurations are fixed, but there are over 100 of combinations to choose from).

To give an example a nodeset might consist of two GEN nodes a MIX node and an FX node. Or it could be an IMG node a GEN node and a MIX node.

GEN nodes generate graphics using shaders
IMG nodes show images (that you load)
VID do (short) videos
TXT text, etc.

And it can process video coming in on composite.

It’s really worth reading through the manual that’s online to get a sense of what it can do. And as said it’s very powerful. I personally do not find the resolution an issue. I sometimes use OBS to get 16x9, but simply zoom in versus scale up.

Also - I had Hypno. It’s fun. But sold it as structure does way more.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT
Days since last purchase = about 3
11ish
Nerd With Wound

Post by 11ish »

Thank you, batch! You're right, I'll have to read more … So far, there seems to be not a single user who is disappointed or underwhelmed, I guess that says something :)
jD
Common Wiggler

Post by jD »

Added one to my modular and I haven’t felt the need to expand on it, its a great unit (besides the syntonie)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

11ish wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:54 pm
anomad wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:19 pmStructure ships with all of these shaders (and effects) - http://glsl.erogenous-tones.com/
So all the shaders on all 37 pages of the gallery are already available in the Structure module?
I like this one ("turbulent"): http://glsl.erogenous-tones.com/e#1797.0 I think it's the most 3D looking one …
How many shaders can be intertwined together in a single patch?
. yes, all those shaders (and more!) and shipped w/Structure running firmware 4.1

. I would say a 'patch' would be translated as NODE SET for Structure. A NODE SET contains up to four NODES and the OUT node. So, for just the raw shaders (the first 50+pages) you have just the shader so the NODE SET would be GEN1-OUT. If you wanted to add an effect, it would be GEN1-EFX1-OUT, if you wanted three effects, you could select the GEN1-EFX1-EFX2-EFX3-OUT NODE SET.

. to use two shaders, there is GEN1-GEN2-MIX1-OUT and GEN1-GEN2-MIX1-EFX1-OUT(if you want to effect the mix of two shaders). We have 32 different MIX options so you can choose how the two shaders interact. These two node sets can give similar results to the videos you posted.

. but, you don't only have to mix two GEN NODES, you can have one GEN1 and the other be video input (VID), text (TXT), 2D program, 3D object, or an internal feedback loop(amongst others) - further more you can control the MIX level via knobs on the front panel, built in modulators (in the LEM menu), external CV, or MIDI.

-james
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

batch wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:32 pm ...
To give an example a nodeset might consist of two GEN nodes a MIX node and an FX node. Or it could be an IMG node a GEN node and a MIX node.

GEN nodes generate graphics using shaders
IMG nodes show images (that you load)
VID do (short) videos
TXT text, etc.
. quick correction - VID is the incoming video stream, CLIP is short videos. :)

-james
11ish
Nerd With Wound

Post by 11ish »

Thank you James for the explanations! I think I'll get a Structure module :) I was lucky to spot a used Blackbox AVSC-VGA-HDMI-R2 upscaler for a very good price here on ebay yesterday, and it was within the EU, so no customs/taxes. What else am I supposed to do with it? I just have to purchase a Structure now :)
Thank you all for your input! :tu:
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

11ish wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:49 pm Thank you James for the explanations! I think I'll get a Structure module :) I was lucky to spot a used Blackbox AVSC-VGA-HDMI-R2 upscaler for a very good price here on ebay yesterday, and it was within the EU, so no customs/taxes. What else am I supposed to do with it? I just have to purchase a Structure now :)
Thank you all for your input! :tu:
. awesome! i hope we exceed your expectations! :)

-james
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

. hey y'all - firmware v4.2 has just been released !

https://erogenous-tones.com/structure-f ... yjOB4Iwqp8

. from Rick's FB post :

"The biggest new feature is IMG folders. So, on the SD card, in the root IMG/ folder or in performances/PERF<#>/IMG/ you can create subfolders and put images in them. Then, when you are looking at the parameter settings for an IMG node, scroll down to "Subdir Image List" and select one of the subfolders. Now JUST those images will be available to load, walk, random for that node. And Yes, IMG1 and IMG2 can have different sets. When you save the preset and recall it, it will set the files the same way, great for cultivating specific images for certain presets ONLY.

There is also now a RANDOM UNDO for when you accidentally hit random too many times. It stores like twenty back, but is reset if you change off the NODESET. On the main page, just select the NEXT> button and the page will change to show you the control.

Live Text can be changed with the encoder in case you forget a keyboard, with some controls added for delete, insert, left, right.

Notes from a MIDI input can now be used as a modulator. In the system menu, MIDIA-D MOD Channel allows you to listen to all MIDI notes on that channel. The MIDI value will be mapped into an octave (0-11 note = 0 to 1.0 modulator) and you can use this as a modulator source. Mod Source names for this are "MID C:A" for example (through D). REALLY cool to feed your notes into STRUCTURE for modulation to your song.

Four new IMG shaders were added; tileAngle, tileDrift, tileHoriz, tileOffset and tileVert. These are great for repeated patterns. We were generating repeating pattern textures with Stable Diffusion and using them with these and they were FANTASTIC!

Three new NODESET added that were requested VID->EFX1->FBK1, VID->EFX1->FBK1->MIX1 and VID->EFX1->FBK1->EFX2. These were from a request for more feedback + video input behavior. These are ABSOLUTELY fun to play with to get crazy feedback loops (like through an V4/V4EX).

James Clark had a blast creating "RPS" for 2D node, a Rock Paper Scissors competition. Trigger will bring up stats on who is winning and the history of the battles. A lot of fun!

All the rest of the updates were all the bug fixes from user feedback, detailed on the firmware page. Thanks everyone for the feedback."

. let me know if you have any questions! :)

-james
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

scragz wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:48 pm website not loading so I'm posting my bug report here:

if you have clips in a performance and that performance is loaded on startup, it is not loading the clips in the performance, only the ones in the root. if nothing is in the root, it loads the default 4 clips. I have to select another performance and back, or load the wrong one by default and then select the one I want, to get the performance's clips to load.

this has been in the last couple firmwares since I started using structure, currently on 4.1
. this issue should be cleared up w/Firmware 4.2 at https://erogenous-tones.com/structure-firmware/

-james
scragz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by scragz »

anomad wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:08 pm
scragz wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:48 pm website not loading so I'm posting my bug report here:

if you have clips in a performance and that performance is loaded on startup, it is not loading the clips in the performance, only the ones in the root. if nothing is in the root, it loads the default 4 clips. I have to select another performance and back, or load the wrong one by default and then select the one I want, to get the performance's clips to load.

this has been in the last couple firmwares since I started using structure, currently on 4.1
. this issue should be cleared up w/Firmware 4.2 at https://erogenous-tones.com/structure-firmware/

-james
woooo thanks!
11ish
Nerd With Wound

Post by 11ish »

I got my Structure, and it's great fun! I have two problems though.

– I can't load the new firmware 4.2. I downloaded it, but it doesn't have an icon and it's not recognized by Structure (I used the firmware menu as described in the manual).

– I can't get the video signal to my Mac. Strangely, it worked on Friday, when I had just received it, and I did some recordings, but after that I only get a blue screen. The capture card and adapter I had bought worked fine on Friday, but not anymore. Not with Quicktime, not with OBS, not with VLC. I just don't get it. Why is that? I did everything as before, but I can't capture video anymore. I tried different cables, tried everything on three different Macs, but all I get is a blue screen. It's frustrating … :bang:
tenniomak
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tenniomak »

11ish wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:25 pm I got my Structure, and it's great fun! I have two problems though.

– I can't load the new firmware 4.2. I downloaded it, but it doesn't have an icon and it's not recognized by Structure (I used the firmware menu as described in the manual).

– I can't get the video signal to my Mac. Strangely, it worked on Friday, when I had just received it, and I did some recordings, but after that I only get a blue screen. The capture card and adapter I had bought worked fine on Friday, but not anymore. Not with Quicktime, not with OBS, not with VLC. I just don't get it. Why is that? I did everything as before, but I can't capture video anymore. I tried different cables, tried everything on three different Macs, but all I get is a blue screen. It's frustrating … :bang:
I've had issues with a lack of video output even straight to my TV before. I usually have to turn my case on and off several times and it works. I usually have to power cycle a few times just to get the structure to start up properly. The screen flashes then nothing the first time or two turning it on.
11ish
Nerd With Wound

Post by 11ish »

tenniomak wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:04 pm
11ish wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:25 pm I got my Structure, and it's great fun! I have two problems though.

I've had issues with a lack of video output even straight to my TV before. I usually have to turn my case on and off several times and it works. I usually have to power cycle a few times just to get the structure to start up properly. The screen flashes then nothing the first time or two turning it on.
Interesting. The thing is, getting the signal out to my very small LCD-screen is no problem at all, and my Structure itself works fine. But as soon as I convert from CVBS, the issues start.

edit: Ah, and welcome to the forum!!!
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

. hmmmmm.... you shouldn't have to power cycle Structure like that ever. after powering on Structure, it takes about 15 seconds for the screen to flash (that is the soonest in the boot process we can access the screen) and another 20-30 seconds of 'WELCOME TO STRUCTURE' as the software starts and clips and presets are loaded.

. if nothing happens for 1-2 minutes after you see the screen flash, that might indicate your boot SD card may be failing. if it is still not booting up on the first power on, message me and we can go over the process of creating another boot SD card.

. conversely, have you tried your Structure is another case ? it might not be getting enough power ? hard to say.

-james
tenniomak
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tenniomak »

anomad wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:42 pm
. hmmmmm.... you shouldn't have to power cycle Structure like that ever. after powering on Structure, it takes about 15 seconds for the screen to flash (that is the soonest in the boot process we can access the screen) and another 20-30 seconds of 'WELCOME TO STRUCTURE' as the software starts and clips and presets are loaded.

. if nothing happens for 1-2 minutes after you see the screen flash, that might indicate your boot SD card may be failing. if it is still not booting up on the first power on, message me and we can go over the process of creating another boot SD card.

. conversely, have you tried your Structure is another case ? it might not be getting enough power ? hard to say.

-james
Thanks James. I actually just received an email from Rick concerning this as I'd sent a email about it a little while back. It's not a huge concern, but I thought it may be worth mentioning in case it was related to the issue 11ish was having.
Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett »

batch wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:32 pm
VID do (short) videos
TXT text, etc.
Just a small correction, VID is for video in, either composite (CVBS) or LZX 1V RGB.

CLIP is for small video clips.

I can tell you this, we've had STRUCTURE in our rigs longer than ANYONE else and we still aren't bored with exploring with it, which is why I keep releasing firmware updates as I think of new things we want! Hahaha.
Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE Available Now!
SPIKE the Percussionist
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist »

Rick Burnett wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:45 pm I can tell you this, we've had STRUCTURE in our rigs longer than ANYONE else and we still aren't bored with exploring with it, which is why I keep releasing firmware updates as I think of new things we want! Hahaha.
DITTO!

obviously i haven't had them as long...but as a user that went from one to three Structures as fast as possible...this thing just keeps evolving into an ever more amazing visual noiz device! :twisted:

at this point...i have done over 600 live sessions with them!
here's the ever growing playlist:
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

Return to “Video Synthesis”