What are your 5U plans for the weekend?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Re: What are your 5U plans for the weekend?

Post by Rigo »

commoner wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:02 am
Huba-Swift wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:01 am
commoner wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:31 am Probably referring to huba’s post; when you edit the title in your reply, the thread pops up in your feed and in the recent posts when viewing from the main index as if that’s the title of the whole thread, not the post. “Feature”
Oops, I think I just made a mistake when making that post. My bad. Didn't realize it changes the title of the actual thread. That seems like something it definitely shouldn't do, as it'd make anyone able to change anyone else's thread title. Weird. I'll fix it.
It doesn’t change it. It’s a fake-out. Only the last post and latest posts show the wrong title. Nothing to fix now that there’s a newer post. :)
Unless someone quotes your post ?
commoner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by commoner »

Rigo wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:17 am
commoner wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:02 am
Huba-Swift wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:01 am
commoner wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:31 am Probably referring to huba’s post; when you edit the title in your reply, the thread pops up in your feed and in the recent posts when viewing from the main index as if that’s the title of the whole thread, not the post. “Feature”
Oops, I think I just made a mistake when making that post. My bad. Didn't realize it changes the title of the actual thread. That seems like something it definitely shouldn't do, as it'd make anyone able to change anyone else's thread title. Weird. I'll fix it.
It doesn’t change it. It’s a fake-out. Only the last post and latest posts show the wrong title. Nothing to fix now that there’s a newer post. :)
Unless someone quotes your post ?
Ha, fair enough.
-cynic is the word used by one who wishes to believe that a realist is wrong
euphonic
Common Wiggler

What are your 5U plans for the weekend?

Post by euphonic »

KSS wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:33 pm Do *not* buy cheap switches for these positions. You'll only do so once. Get name brands. I mean real old school name brands not the modern badges. I'm talking C&K, NKK, not Mountain or Taiway. <--Though the Taiway *are* being tested and just 'may' break the rule by being decent over time. Still too soon to say.
Thanks for the warning, KSS. Oakley uses APEM. So that’s what I use. And they’re not cheap. So they better be good! :hihi:

And it is nice to know that Taiway may proof to be a viable alternative.
Huba-Swift wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:36 pm If you have a DC voltage source and some spare attenuators you can even use it as a make shift sequencer in and of itself!
A make shift sequencer…? :hmm: Guess I have some reading to do, as well…
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch »

I'm gonna start building someone a 2U MOTM-format Freak Shift.
So, where the hell was Biggles when you needed him last Saturday?
Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ »

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:36 am I'm gonna start building someone a 2U MOTM-format Freak Shift.
:sb: :love: :tu:
i use to drink & smoke.
that fat cat had to go..... wasn't even mine.
Sideshow
Common Wiggler

Post by Sideshow »

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:36 am I'm gonna start building someone a 2U MOTM-format Freak Shift.
And I got started on the case the Freak Shift is gonna live in :party:
Also got around to finish off a few modules I've had in backlog for way too long.
The TH X-4046 VCO has been living behind a kind of cardbox panel for years, so finally got around to repanel it (had the panel laying around for years as well). Kinda proud as this is one of my first modules I built when I was starting out, CNC-milled the PCB myself.
Anyway, I also had a photoshoot with my new fellas...
_MG_5061.jpeg
_MG_5056.jpeg
_MG_5055.jpeg
What is this?!?!?! A synthesizer for ants?!?! It needs to be at least.... ....three times this big!!
- J3RK / Zoolander
cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt »

Nice! The reflection in that first photo kind of makes it look like a Wiard 300-format panel. :mrgreen:
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com
Sideshow
Common Wiggler

Post by Sideshow »

cornutt wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:21 pm Nice! The reflection in that first photo kind of makes it look like a Wiard 300-format panel. :mrgreen:
Thanks!
Yeah, I see what you mean :mrgreen:
Always loved the looks of the Wiard 300 system. Looks very alien like to me. Maybe one of the coolest front panel designs I’ve seen.
What is this?!?!?! A synthesizer for ants?!?! It needs to be at least.... ....three times this big!!
- J3RK / Zoolander
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

I'm cooking the MOTM Freak Shift panel as I type this. Gawd, I hope it turns out alright, cuz I hate hate hate having to make Lazertran panels twice.
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 »

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:22 pm I'm cooking the MOTM Freak Shift panel as I type this. Gawd, I hope it turns out alright, cuz I hate hate hate having to make Lazertran panels twice.
Best of luck! :)
5U SEMI-MODULAR PERFORMANCE SYNTH NORMALIZING PROJECT
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=
Huba-Swift
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Huba-Swift »

Gonna be double checking schematics/layout for the Quad S/H module I'm working on. Probably my most dense Through Hold PCB layout so far. Has four sawtooth VCOs (not 1V/oct) as internal clock oscillators, 4 comparator/threshold circuits for inputs, 4 sample and holds, and an internal noise generator on a 1U wide PCB.

Edit: Those two ICs aren't what they say they are, that's just whatever it chose for the 3D render, those are both just LM324s.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

You call that dense?!?

Yeah, that's dense, but not that much more than I can achieve with my Excel layout tool and one-sided boards. Here's my 18-stage Dome filter board from the Freak Shift, which is my most dense board. This board is 2.1" x 4.3", and has 72 resistors, 18 film caps, 9 TL072s, and a collection of pin headers and sockets. Still not as dense as yours, though.
18-Stage Dome Filter.png
Huba-Swift
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Huba-Swift »

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:37 pm You call that dense?!?

Yeah, that's dense, but not that much more than I can achieve with my Excel layout tool and one-sided boards. Here's my 18-stage Dome filter board from the Freak Shift, which is my most dense board. This board is 2.1" x 4.3", and has 72 resistors, 18 film caps, 9 TL072s, and a collection of pin headers and sockets. Still not as dense as yours, though.
18-Stage Dome Filter.png
Very impressive to have such a dense board on a single layer. It's definitely an art. The nature of how components are intertwined, and trying to keep headers along the edge as much as possible both make a layout much harder. I definitely could not get my circuit as compact as yours on a single layer. I may redo my board layout as a dedicated panel layout, similar to how you do yours, but will order this layout for testing purposes in case I need to change anything for next layout.

Also by dense I didn't just mean components, but also in functionality. For instance, I was really happy to have found a good way of making a sawtooth VCO with only a single Op-amp! It doesn't track perfect 1V/oct, but it's more than good enough for this purpose.

Not being able to rely on assigned schematics or airwires for laying out a board must make errors a lot more likely. I'm impressed you are able to keep track of everything on more complicated builds with Excel.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Huba-Swift wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:26 am Not being able to rely on assigned schematics or airwires for laying out a board must make errors a lot more likely. I'm impressed you are able to keep track of everything on more complicated builds with Excel.
Not really. Once I've completed a layout, I just make the PCB, stuff it and test it. Usually my layouts are fine the first time, but occasionally I make a silly mistake or two. In that case, I can usually kludge the fix (break a few traces, solder in a jumper wire, move a component or two, etc) and then I just correct my layout so the next one is perfect. That's really the big advantage of doing everything yourself. PCBs are my breadboards (and they're a lot easier to do than breadboarding). As you may know, I originally developed my Excel layout tool for breadboards (inspired by a similar, but not very functional, thing on MFOS) -- I had no intention of using it for actual PCBs. However, one day I used it to lay out a circuit (an MFOS Weird Sound Generator) on one of those little credit-card-sized proto-boards, and I realized that I could do the same thing with actual PCBs. I've been doing it the same ever since -- for about 14 years now. I can lay out a fairly elaborate circuit pretty quickly now.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

My 5U plans for this weekend are to make an aluminum stooge bracket to connect a 4" x 6" PCB to a 1U panel so I can finish a Noiseless 8-Channel Interpolating Scanner, which I've built for a local fellow. However, before I do that, I've got to clean up in the garage (Sketchy Labs) so I can access my bandsaw and belt sander.
Mutant
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mutant »

I'm actually going to be bring out the 5U system for its first show tonight. It's just a house party, but it has been good practice to think through how to use it live. My biggest challenge is that I really want the flexibility of the home studio, with everything on its own mix channel, with multiple effects sends, etc.. without having to bring too much gear and spending a lot of time setting up.

Return to “5U Format Modules”