Share your small drone/noise/experimental set up with a newbie.

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

timdrage
Common Wiggler

Re: Share your small drone/noise/experimental set up with a newbie.

Post by timdrage »

A few of mine:

https://cementimental.bandcamp.com - Noise
https://isntses.co.uk - spacenoise & esoteric synth design
https://disgustingcathedral.bandcamp.com - Dungeon Noise
The Fort Processor & Chernobylizer - experimental noise synths by Isn'tses
timdrage
Common Wiggler

Post by timdrage »

My eurorack has been shoved aside for too long so I dug out one of the couple of small boxes I have and listened to some drones.

York Modular matrix, ST Diz, York Modular 2hp bandpass, Music Thing Mini Drive, Stickney Synthyards Astro Alarm, Doepfer Wasp filter (modded for self-oscillation in a better way than the standard Doepfer instructions - https://hackaday.io/page/6995-tweaking- ... lation-mod ), homemade mixer, Nonlinear Circuits Vactrol PiLL (slightly tweaked and I added a switchable flickering candle LED as well as the normal one, adds some more weirdness to the signal) and Buranelectrix Dredrum. Doesn't make a lot of sense as a standalone setup but then again neither does it with my other eurorack + external gear

:sb: :sstorm:

IMG_20220825_213552.jpg
https://cementimental.bandcamp.com - Noise
https://isntses.co.uk - spacenoise & esoteric synth design
https://disgustingcathedral.bandcamp.com - Dungeon Noise
The Fort Processor & Chernobylizer - experimental noise synths by Isn'tses
Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps »

The Drone Table
IMG_2991.JPG
eoele
Common Wiggler

Post by eoele »

Here's mine at the moment.
PXL_20220909_213146790.jpg
flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx »

Umcorps wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:21 am The Drone Table

IMG_2991.JPG
Cool! What’s that small silver dual keyboard fader thing?
Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps »

flx wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:11 pm
Umcorps wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:21 am The Drone Table

IMG_2991.JPG
Cool! What’s that small silver dual keyboard fader thing?
Wingie 2

https://www.mengqimusic.com/wingie2-introduction
h1t3k
Wiggling with Experience

Post by h1t3k »

Currently really liking this combo, its a constant reminder how much you can do when you really dig into a couple good pieces.

Metamyther
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Metamyther »

h1t3k wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:57 am Currently really liking this combo, its a constant reminder how much you can do when you really dig into a couple good pieces.

did you jump on that sweet OpSix 50% off deal recently?
Metamyther: cinematic industrial in 3 movements.
http://www.metamyther.com

Modules for sale: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2085762
flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx »

I just discovered that self-patching the Herbs & Stones Pathways matrix mixer can be a deep source of unstable, stereo noise and drone soundscapes.

Of course it also works well with actual synths attached :mrgreen:

browgasto
Learning to Wiggle

Post by browgasto »

thelowerrhythm wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:47 pm No photo right now, but I carry around a 64hp case for teaching basic drone. Contains weather drones, 2x pico vco, pico vca, mult, zeroscope, 2hp delay, zlob mixer, pico vcf. Loads of mileage.
I’m interested to hear more about this setup. I think this is the kind of thing I’m looking to get started with. I’m new to modular and would like to explore how modules work together rather than having lots of functionality and just making noise. I like the idea of controlling the drone and the rate of change rather than relying on something like sloths to do it randomly.

If you have any advice regarding those aims and any photos of this setup it would be great to hear/see
thelowerrhythm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm »

browgasto wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:23 pm
thelowerrhythm wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:47 pm No photo right now, but I carry around a 64hp case for teaching basic drone. Contains weather drones, 2x pico vco, pico vca, mult, zeroscope, 2hp delay, zlob mixer, pico vcf. Loads of mileage.
I’m interested to hear more about this setup. I think this is the kind of thing I’m looking to get started with. I’m new to modular and would like to explore how modules work together rather than having lots of functionality and just making noise. I like the idea of controlling the drone and the rate of change rather than relying on something like sloths to do it randomly.

If you have any advice regarding those aims and any photos of this setup it would be great to hear/see
I can’t get a photo at the moment, but if you use modular grid you can visualize this pretty readily. I highly recommend weather drones as a starting point because it’s not just an affordable toolbox, but a comprehensive and well designed one. Quite an economy of HP imo while remaining somewhat ergonomic for those who want to include more performance and less automstion. Regardless of which direction you take your modular practice it will be adaptable. I wouldn’t think too hard on anything without the tool in front of you, because concept will always change in practical circumstances.
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."
browgasto
Learning to Wiggle

Post by browgasto »

thelowerrhythm wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:29 pm
browgasto wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:23 pm

I can’t get a photo at the moment, but if you use modular grid you can visualize this pretty readily. I highly recommend weather drones as a starting point because it’s not just an affordable toolbox, but a comprehensive and well designed one. Quite an economy of HP imo while remaining somewhat ergonomic for those who want to include more performance and less automstion. Regardless of which direction you take your modular practice it will be adaptable. I wouldn’t think too hard on anything without the tool in front of you, because concept will always change in practical circumstances.
I’ve been lost in the endless browsing for what will be best for a while. Appreciate the suggestion and advice.
soroke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by soroke »

>> I wouldn’t think too hard on anything without the tool in front of you, because concept will always change in practical circumstances.

i very much agree with this! especially for sonic explorations, as opposed to more conventional song-making.
and i'd say that your first steps will always be kinda arbitrary, so pick a thing or two that have sparked your imagination, and let your experiences with them guide you from there.

with that in mind (and, sadly, no pix to share): i got a standalone Grendel DC-2 a few years ago, and have accumulated other tabletop instruments around it (though not always to play *with* it) since. my pair of suitcases now holds: Error Instruments ErrorTron v4 (so many weird noises!); LEP Multicassa (an underestimated drone machine, using its selfoscillation, as well as a rhythm box); Landscape Stereo Fields (a wonderful touch-based feedback universe); Make Noise 0-CTRL (for pattern-making); Ciat-Lonbarde Plumbutter 2 (a whole other world in itself), and a Flight of Harmony Quad Plague Bearer (still underexplored). i've found it useful to add in a few much simpler units along the way too: Hungry Robots VCO & Multiples; SynthCone Matrix Mixer; and a Low-Gain Format Jumbler so the Plumbutter can talk to other things.

mostly when i'm playing, i pick a combination of two or three instruments, and see where they take me. i play duets with a friend a lot, sometimes patching between our machines (their Strega has been a fun addition), sometimes without.

and i've just added a Palmelunde SuperDuber and a LEP Arpopone to my collection, and i''m excited to see what i'll find with them in the mix.
- soroke and/or voron -
picking up shiny things, using tools, occasionally scaring poets
Klipspringer
Common Wiggler

Post by Klipspringer »

Noise Setup.jpg
Noise Setup.jpg (56.65 KiB) Viewed 126 times

thelowerrhythm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm »

Something I'm playing with right now that is extremely satisfying is just a pair of Soma RoATs and two honeytone amps. I'm looking to change this up a bit because the amps don't have the frequency response I want, but it's super portable and I'm really into doing plein air work. These little synths have an absolute dumptruck of noise / drone potential in them.
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."

Return to “Synth Noise”