Super Sixteen build support thread

Creator of of the Super Sixteen Sequencer and based in San Francisco. This is a DIY and Finished Good product for Eurorack.
BFG
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Super Sixteen build support thread

Post by BFG »

No problem - I may have dropped it, and I’m reasonably certain there are micro-scale black holes lurking around the floor of my house. I’ve never yet found anything small that I’ve dropped. They’re on their way and the placement looks fairly accessible, so I’ll just carry on.

Cheers,

Rob
BFG
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BFG »

Hi all

LP2950 arrived and duly soldered in. Electrical checks done - no shorts. Powered up - no magic smoke. But some very odd behaviour. All seemed well, buttons and encoder working and then the display went blank.

I've checked and re-flowed a suspicious looking joint on the encoder, but now it's even weirder. Any clue as to where to start looking?

Video below showing what it's doing.

Cheers,

Rob

Odd behaviour on power up
extralifedisco
Common Wiggler

Post by extralifedisco »

BFG wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:22 pm Hi all

LP2950 arrived and duly soldered in. Electrical checks done - no shorts. Powered up - no magic smoke. But some very odd behaviour. All seemed well, buttons and encoder working and then the display went blank.

I've checked and re-flowed a suspicious looking joint on the encoder, but now it's even weirder. Any clue as to where to start looking?

Video below showing what it's doing.

Cheers,

Rob

Odd behaviour on power up
Thanks for the video demo, very helpful to troubleshoot! It looks like the hardware is OK but there is a serial comms issue between the 74HC595 shift registers and the microcontroller on the other board. This is usually caused by a cold/missing solder joint, a short circuit, or another physical connection issue.

A few immediate possibilities:
- poor connection on header pins - try wiggling the two boards in their sockets and see if it changes what shows up on the display. You can also clean the header pins with rubbing alcohol to remove contaminants.
- connection/seating issue in IC sockets - try re-seating the shift register ICs
- soldering issue on headers or associated components

If you can post front/back photos of both PCBs I can help you look more closely at the solder joints. One common site for issues is the header pins themselves as they're soldered on the top side of the board and can sometimes be oxidized. In general it appears that the display, encoder, CPU, and LEDs are working correctly, but the serial comms have some noise or connection issue. You can upload photos to this forum using the "attachments" box just below the text editor.
BFG
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BFG »

That would make sense - something connection wise moved as I was pressing buttons/turning knobs, as it all seemed to be fine at first. Then re-assembling after inspection and solder checking the connection is now worse. I’ll try out your suggestions, and then upload the photos.

Thanks for the quick response, your build support is superb!

Cheers,

Rob
BFG
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BFG »

You sir, are a genius! The longer set of header pins had some kind of sticky residue on them (possibly from cleaning the boards). Cleaned both sets, and I now have a happy Super Sixteen!

I'll finish the assembly this evening and then calibrate, but all looks good.

Cheers,

Rob
Shoggoth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Shoggoth »

(delete)
zqz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zqz »

I build smd verison and LEDs and Display are superfast blinking (but when i turn on module then while loading display lighting around without blinking). Pots and menu options works nice. What is this? MCP23S17 is need to be programmed?
extralifedisco
Common Wiggler

Post by extralifedisco »

zqz wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:41 am I build smd verison and LEDs and Display are superfast blinking (but when i turn on module then while loading display lighting around without blinking). Pots and menu options works nice. What is this? MCP23S17 is need to be programmed?
I'm not sure exactly, what would cause this, but if you programmed your Atmega chip from scratch, you may need to set the CPU clock speed. By default the chip uses its internal clock at 4mHz, so you need to set it to use the external crystal at 16mHz. You do this by setting the internal fuses with avrdude:

Code: Select all

avrdude -P COM3 -p m328p -c stk500 -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xDE:m -U efuse:w:0x05:m
All of the kits and PCBs I sell have the fuses set on the CPU. Accordingly, this step is not part of the firmware upload instructions. However it is included in my firmware upload routine here:
https://github.com/matthewcieplak/super ... /upload.sh.

May I ask, did you have the SMD PCBs fabricated yourself or did you buy them from a retailer? If anyone else out there is building from bare boards I would like them to have the correct instructions.
zqz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zqz »

Thank you for superfast reply. Will try use code for set CPU clock speed. Yes, pcbs was fabricated by myself.
What sample rate of cv recording?
zqz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zqz »

YES! work. THANKS.
zqz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zqz »

If i turn any pot knob very slow, for example pitch from 0 to 1, it jumping 0 1 0 1 0 1 very fast near "1". bad pots? or not a problem?
extralifedisco
Common Wiggler

Post by extralifedisco »

zqz wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:21 am If i turn any pot knob very slow, for example pitch from 0 to 1, it jumping 0 1 0 1 0 1 very fast near "1". bad pots? or not a problem?
I have sometimes seen this issue on my unit occasionally. I think it is caused by voltage ripple on the 12v power supply line. It is usually solved by power cycling the unit or removing other noise sources. You could also try recompiling the firmware with a higher movement threshold in the AnalogIO file. (Line 32, 33, increase the values of DEFAULT_CHANGE_THRESHOLD and LOW_CHANGE_THRESHOLD), which will make the knobs less responsive.

https://github.com/matthewcieplak/super ... alogIO.cpp

You can compile the firmware by opening src.ino in the Arduino IDE and choosing "Upload using programmer" with the same settings as you used to flash the .hex file. Or you can set up VS Code with Platform.IO with the included config as I do. If this is beyond your expertise I can try compiling an alternate firmware for you when I have a moment later this week.
zqz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zqz »

change DEFAULT_CHANGE_THRESHOLD 18
and LOW_CHANGE_THRESHOLD 8
is it good?
What is the maximum value of these parameters that can be set?
Is it possible to generate HEX without programmer and microchip?
and i have error
modules/super-sixteen-master/sequencer_app_v2/src/src.ino:31:10: fatal error: MCP23S17.h: No such file or directory
#include <MCP23S17.h> //https://github.com/MajenkoLibraries/MCP23S17
^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Compilation error: MCP23S17.h: No such file or directory
RankAmateur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RankAmateur »

Im trying to update to the midi firmware but im a bit out of my depth. The SWT16+ is from the batch late last year. Im using an FT232 chip at the 5v setting with the following wire configuration:

SWT16+ - FT232
Ground - GND
Tx - TXD
RX - RXD
RST - DTR#

Im using the Windows Xloader app with the following settings:

Device = CC01 (other option is CR03)
COM Port = COM4 (other option is COM1)
Baud = 57600

When I press upload, i get an "uploading..." message that hangs such that I need to use the Task Manager to quit. I can tell the SWT16+ hasn't updated because it still has all of the setting saved from before. Any hints?
extralifedisco
Common Wiggler

Post by extralifedisco »

zqz wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:39 am change DEFAULT_CHANGE_THRESHOLD 18
is it good?
and i have error
modules/super-sixteen-master/sequencer_app_v2/src/src.ino:31:10: fatal error: MCP23S17.h: No such file or directory
^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Sorry, I have been out sick this week with Covid and not able to do much of anything. If you still need help on the firmware side I can try and compile you an alternate version tonight. Those look like sensible values to me. The only maximum value is the low change threshold can't be greater than about 40 or it will skip steps on the pitch control.

With that compilation error, you need to include the submodules when you download the repo. You can do it with

git submodule update --init
. More on submodules here:
https://faun.pub/git-submodule-cheatsheet-29a3bfe443c3
extralifedisco
Common Wiggler

Post by extralifedisco »

RankAmateur wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:59 pm Im trying to update to the midi firmware but im a bit out of my depth. The SWT16+ is from the batch late last year. Im using an FT232 chip at the 5v setting with the following wire configuration:

SWT16+ - FT232
Ground - GND
Tx - TXD
RX - RXD
RST - DTR#

Baud = 57600

When I press upload, i get an "uploading..." message that hangs such that I need to use the Task Manager to quit. I can tell the SWT16+ hasn't updated because it still has all of the setting saved from before. Any hints?
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the FT232 or using it for serial comms. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work although I don't specifically know if it will. Xloader seems like a nice utility but doesn't expose the config options that avrdude does.

I would suggest swapping the RX/TX pins so they connect crosswise. They stand for "transmit" and "receive" so each device should connect transmit to the other's receive pin. Other than that I would maybe lower the baudrate, I know the stk500 prefers to work at 19200 baud.
zqz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zqz »

extralifedisco wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:06 am
is it good?
and i have error
^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Sorry, I have been out sick this week with Covid and not able to do much of anything. If you still need help on the firmware side I can try and compile you an alternate version tonight. Those look like sensible values to me. The only maximum value is the low change threshold can't be greater than about 40 or it will skip steps on the pitch control.

With that compilation error, you need to include the submodules when you download the repo. You can do it with

Yes, please, make alternative version
Texy
Common Wiggler

Post by Texy »

RankAmateur wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:59 pm Im trying to update to the midi firmware but im a bit out of my depth. The SWT16+ is from the batch late last year. Im using an FT232 chip at the 5v setting with the following wire configuration:

SWT16+ - FT232
Ground - GND
Tx - TXD
RX - RXD
RST - DTR#

Baud = 57600

Are you sure you are replying to the correct thread ? This one deals with the Sweet Sixteen sequencer from ExtraLife, not the SWT16+ from Robaux ?
Texy
extralifedisco
Common Wiggler

Post by extralifedisco »

zqz wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:48 am
is it good?
and i have error
^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Attached to this post is an alternative firmware with much less responsive control inputs. I have changed the file extension to .txt to upload it to the forum here. Simply change it to .hex after you download it, then upload it with avrdude.
Attachments
firmware.txt
(78.18 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
zqz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zqz »

extralifedisco wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:42 am
is it good?
and i have error
^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Attached to this post is an alternative firmware with much less responsive control inputs. I have changed the file extension to .txt to upload it to the forum here. Simply change it to .hex after you download it, then upload it with avrdude.
Thank you.
did not help, keeps jumping value
zqz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zqz »

zqz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:12 am
extralifedisco wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:42 am
is it good?
and i have error
^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

exit status 1

extralifedisco
Common Wiggler

Post by extralifedisco »

zqz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:12 am Thank you.
did not help, keeps jumping value
Interesting. I suspect there is an issue with the power supply you are running it on (high noise). One other thing you can try is to set the display brightness to level 4 (instead of default 5). Enter calibrate mode (SHIFT+14), then press button 9 (tempo) and adjust brightness using the DATA encoder. When set to 4, the display/LED multiplexing will run in cycles of 4 so that all the potentiometer reads should always be synced to same part of the multiplexing cycle.
zqz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zqz »

Hi! Why in calibrate mode on step 1 = 1v, not 0v And step 9 show brightness, not calibrate for 8v ? when octave pot is -4 then pitch out= 0 volt, -3 then pitch out = 0 volt, -2 then pitch out = 1 volt
=((
extralifedisco
Common Wiggler

Post by extralifedisco »

zqz wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:34 am Hi! Why in calibrate mode on step 1 = 1v, not 0v And step 9 show brightness, not calibrate for 8v ? when octave pot is -4 then pitch out= 0 volt, -3 then pitch out = 0 volt, -2 then pitch out = 1 volt
=((
This was a change in firmware 1.2 I believe. The lowest calibration value should always be set to zero, because the minimum output voltage of the DAC is always something like 50-100mV - no point in adjusting it. This way the numbers on the sequencer match the voltage output.

The +4/-4 octave range allows you to access the full pitch spectrum even when you are transposing up/down by one or more octaves. If you want to start at 5V, transpose up the sequence values by 24 steps.

If you want to edit the firmware for a higher default pitch, you could fork the repo and revert this commit. Just add/or subtract a number of steps on Sequencer.cpp/line 349 to adjust the default pitch.
https://github.com/matthewcieplak/super ... ac43f08d0c
zqz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zqz »

extralifedisco wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:23 pm
zqz wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:34 am Hi! Why in calibrate mode on step 1 = 1v, not 0v And step 9 show brightness, not calibrate for 8v ? when octave pot is -4 then pitch out= 0 volt, -3 then pitch out = 0 volt, -2 then pitch out = 1 volt
=((
This was a change in firmware 1.2 I believe. The lowest calibration value should always be set to zero, because the minimum output voltage of the DAC is always something like 50-100mV - no point in adjusting it. This way the numbers on the sequencer match the voltage output.

The +4/-4 octave range allows you to access the full pitch spectrum even when you are transposing up/down by one or more octaves. If you want to start at 5V, transpose up the sequence values by 24 steps.

If you want to edit the firmware for a higher default pitch, you could fork the repo and revert this commit. Just add/or subtract a number of steps on Sequencer.cpp/line 349 to adjust the default pitch.
https://github.com/matthewcieplak/super ... ac43f08d0c
OK I understood. Thank you

Return to “Extralife Instruments”