Book: Computational Thinking through Modular Sound Synthesis

This forum can only be posted to by verified educators or vendors engaged in education
aolney
Learning to Wiggle

Book: Computational Thinking through Modular Sound Synthesis

Post by aolney »

Greetings fellow educators :)

I wrote a book last semester that might be of interest.

The book is free, online, and interactive.

It integrates with Cardinal (the VCVRack port to the web) so that students can launch a modular environment directly from the text, preconfigured with starter patches as appropriate.

Similarly there are various simulations and animations embedded, mostly for physics concepts.

The intended audience is high school/college freshmen from non-STEM backgrounds who have an interest in music.

The goal is to get such students interested in STEM and to engage in computational thinking via modular.

The overall organization of the book is spiral, starting with a brief history of synths, necessary background physics, a modular quickstart, basic controllers/generators/modifiers followed by sound design chapters, then another round of these covering more advanced topics.

I taught a freshman seminar with it while writing it, and that went fairly well. It was about half musicians and about half not.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated :)

Here is the link:

https://olney.ai/ct-modular-book/

Due to current limitations in Cardinal, the best option is to use Firefox on computer with a mouse (not iOS, not a tablet).
These limitations will probably disappear at some point according to the Cardinal roadmap.

Best,

-Andrew
Guizot
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Book: Computational Thinking through Modular Sound Synthesis

Post by Guizot »

Most Excellent!
I will give it a read this week as I'm finishing my curriculum for this coming semester.

As of now I am using "Patch & Tweak" by Kim Bjørn & Chris Meyer. It is a great book but can be a bit much for those with no background in synthesis.
Oberheim OB-X8, Modal Modulus 002, ARP 2600, Endorphin.es Shuttle System, Moog Grandmother, Moog Matriarch, Roland MKS-70 w/MPG-70 controller, Arturia MatrixBrute, Korg Wavestation A/D, Korg OpSix, Yamaha TG77, Kurzweil PC2X, Yamaha EX5R, Simmons SDS7 Kit (Red Hex), Axe FX III Mark 2, Yamaha VL-1, Moog Model D MiniMoog, & Nonlinear Labs C15 on order...
aolney
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Book: Computational Thinking through Modular Sound Synthesis

Post by aolney »

P&T is a great snapshot of the universe of modules, and it has nuggets on various topics, but I agree it's not an intro book on learning synthesis per se.

Return to “Educators Only”