Frac harmonizer/pitch shifter

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!
senecio
Common Wiggler

Frac harmonizer/pitch shifter

Post by senecio »

Hi all,

I’m wondering if there exists a harmonizer or pitch shifter module in Frac format?

Thanks for any info!
werock
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Frac harmonizer/pitch shifter

Post by werock »

I've never heard of one, at least from a manufacturer. Maybe a DIY solution exists?
plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord »

Encore makes one...or used to: https://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_fs2.html

It's listed as "out of stock" on their order page but can't hurt to write and ask if he'll make you one...

I had one for a year or two, GREAT module, wasn't using it enough, sold it to fund my first Wiard purchase, now it's on the list of things I regret selling :doh:
e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad »

Frequency shifter and pitch shifter/harmonizer are totally different pieces of gear.

BTW you should be glad to have sold your Encore Freq. Shifter. They have a solid reputation for failing after a couple of years.

If you happen to be interested in a freq. shifter for Frac: there are a couple of E560 Deflector Shields with Blacet faceplates (F560) in the wild.
Avatar: A lusona by the Chokwe people.

elektrograd
mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu »

senecio wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:56 am Hi all,

I’m wondering if there exists a harmonizer or pitch shifter module in Frac format?

Thanks for any info!
Not in frac. I think you are better off with something like
an Eventide PitchFactor (Pitch Shifter/ Harmonizer) if you really want these functions.

its even CV-able (but you need to be very careful . attenuator to cv sent to any eventide pedal recommended)

i use my eventide space which is the same husk but diff algos (reverb,shimmer etc)
e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad »

senecio wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:56 am I’m wondering if there exists a harmonizer or pitch shifter module in Frac format?
You could always ask Dr. Sketch-n-Etch to build one of his Freak Shifts for you for Frac. IIRC he built a version that runs on +/-15V for 5U. You or the Doc could do a single run Schaeffer panel.

However, the clearance of the rackrails is lesser in Frac than in Euro. Hence what fits into an Eurorack might not fit into Frac. This should be kept in mind.

elektrograd
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

:agree:
looks like his PCBs are 4-1/4" tall which is the max that will fit in traditional Frac cabinets and racks.
There is ample room to reduce this if necessary, with no tracks near the top and bottom in photos of PCBs and layouts DDixon has posted.

Channeling Doug Marcaida of Forged In Fire, This module will.. work!
fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey »

e-grad wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:07 pm BTW you should be glad to have sold your Encore Freq. Shifter. They have a solid reputation for failing after a couple of years.
They were a victim of the contaminated electrolytic capacitor debacle of some years back (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague), surface mount but a relatively easy fix. Absolutely fantastic module, I had 2 but my wife “borrowed” one and won’t give it back.
Last edited by fluxmonkey on Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs
plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord »

e-grad wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:07 pm Frequency shifter and pitch shifter/harmonizer are totally different pieces of gear.
Oh, derp, that's my brain speeding right past the critical detail there. Yeah. Different thing.
BTW you should be glad to have sold your Encore Freq. Shifter. They have a solid reputation for failing after a couple of years.

If you happen to be interested in a freq. shifter for Frac: there are a couple of E560 Deflector Shields with Blacet faceplates (F560) in the wild.
Hadn't heard about the issues with the Encore unit, thanks.
e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad »

plord wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:23 pm Hadn't heard about the issues with the Encore unit, thanks.
You're welcome.

Just in case you or someone else need some advice how to possibly fix the Encore unit:

Encore Frequency Shifter Repair

IIRC there was another bug: Yet, I can't find the thread (it's here on modwiggler).

elektrograd
senecio
Common Wiggler

Post by senecio »

mamonu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:49 pm
senecio wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:56 am Hi all,

Thanks for any info!
Not in frac. I think you are better off with something like
an Eventide PitchFactor (Pitch Shifter/ Harmonizer) if you really want these functions.

its even CV-able (but you need to be very careful . attenuator to cv sent to any eventide pedal recommended)

i use my eventide space which is the same husk but diff algos (reverb,shimmer etc)
Thanks for all the info everybody! I’ve been lusting after a Deltalb DL-5 Harmonicomputer but they seem to be a unicorn and very pricey so I wondered if there was ever something for frac that could scratch my itch.

Great to know about these frequency shifters too, even if they are not what I was looking for. Watched some YouTube clips of them and they look fun.

Mamonu, does the contemporary eventide stuff emulate that vintage digital sound of a H910? I've been really enjoying the digital grit of early digital delays and things like my Korg DSS-1.
mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu »

senecio wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:41 pm Mamonu, does the contemporary eventide stuff emulate that vintage digital sound of a H910? I've been really enjoying the digital grit of early digital delays and things like my Korg DSS-1.
yes it does. At least it has the algos for H910/H949

Some of the "sound" is also AD/DA converters but anyway at that point we are going into things Id rather not put my attention to (because of weight/size/financial reasons :hihi: )

Out of the Eventide offerings I prefer the Pitchfactor/Space interface (rather than h9 small but cute version) because of ... more knobs/playability. And the possibility of CV control.

Because its not the latest and greatest it can also be found quite a bit cheaper than h9. But with h9 you can buy only the algos you want.
with H9 you could only get the H910/H949 + say blackhole reverb from Space.So it depends on your goals.

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”