Snazzy FX in 2022/2023 and also beyond.

Discussion and Support for our Atmospheric Modification Devices.
mnchrme
Veteran Wiggler

Snazzy FX in 2022/2023 and also beyond.

Post by mnchrme »

Hey all,

what's the info on Danny? Is he still in the business? Can we please get WoW and Flutter, all the random sample and hold-based modules, etc... reissued?

Would be really cool!

Thank you for any info.
loss1234
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Snazzy FX in 2022/2023 and also beyond.

Post by loss1234 »

Hey this is Dan here.

I suppose like a lot of other people, the lockdown/ covid (in nyc) and the subsequent supply chain issues, as well as losing my manufacturing vendor, well it all added up to me stepping back and saying--I think it is time for me to be getting a job.

it does not mean I will never release stuff again but I suppose I have been weighing my options. If people were interested I have ideas,etc but right now (gasp) I do not have a shop anymore nor do I have a bench to work at. I suppose this is the biggest obstacle. It is crazy how much my life changed in just a few years. if anyone in NYC has extra space for me to setup a bench......

I was never sure if my modules got through to people or not so it is always nice when someone asks me to bring them back. But it is true I think my panels were either love them or hate them and that kept some customers away. add to that weird ideas and you can say I was definitely making niche modules.

Anyway who knows I think if i got behind a bench again it wouldn't take much for me to get going again but now there is a whole new generation of modular users who probably do not know my modules--which means it may be hard to get customers etc. I do miss it though and I miss doing DIY workshops all over the place and meeting with other people who wanted to talk about electronics and synths.

Let me think on it a bit

thanks
loss1234
Wiggling with Experience

Post by loss1234 »

Oh and on that note I think another problem with Covid in NYC was losing touch with the synth community IRL. I wonder if there are any SDIY meetups going on in Brooklyn or Manhattan these days? I still have a massive library of electronics books and magazines and would always love to talk shop.
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

Good to hear from you. I was just thinking that Wow and Flutter was one of the first of those tape degradation pedals and wondered what a v2 would be like! No shame in working to pay rent. You might want want to check here for work space: https://gertieslivework.com/
mnchrme
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mnchrme »

loss1234 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:47 pm Hey this is Dan here.

I suppose like a lot of other people, the lockdown/ covid (in nyc) and the subsequent supply chain issues, as well as losing my manufacturing vendor, well it all added up to me stepping back and saying--I think it is time for me to be getting a job.

it does not mean I will never release stuff again but I suppose I have been weighing my options. If people were interested I have ideas,etc but right now (gasp) I do not have a shop anymore nor do I have a bench to work at. I suppose this is the biggest obstacle. It is crazy how much my life changed in just a few years. if anyone in NYC has extra space for me to setup a bench......

I was never sure if my modules got through to people or not so it is always nice when someone asks me to bring them back. But it is true I think my panels were either love them or hate them and that kept some customers away. add to that weird ideas and you can say I was definitely making niche modules.

Anyway who knows I think if i got behind a bench again it wouldn't take much for me to get going again but now there is a whole new generation of modular users who probably do not know my modules--which means it may be hard to get customers etc. I do miss it though and I miss doing DIY workshops all over the place and meeting with other people who wanted to talk about electronics and synths.

Let me think on it a bit

thanks
Hey Danny,

great to see you are still with us. I get your points. There was a lot of unnecessary stuff happening past time and that buried a lot of great projects under. Personally I liked the aesthetic of both the panels, the website and the trippy copy that surrounded it all. It got to a point it’s quite hard to source some of the designs or even W&F secondhand. I got lucky though some time ago so I got one and it’s ace. Guy regretfully sold it to me and I understand why. It’s a few but I use that along with other of your offerings in every patch. They compliment each other nicely with other modules. The module form of W&F for instance has very good input and works with everything. Great amount of delay time, quirkiness and I’d argue warmth for a digital PT. Can be both clean with a twist or outright experimental/lofi but with that touch of times past. Easily one of the best out there in this category. I have a lot of these so I was doing some comparison. To each its own though. As with panels I don’t know… I liked them a lot the silver ones were nice. Telephone Game, Ardcore (which I am trying to get), Eternal Spring, Dronebank, Dream Boat/Chaos Brother og panels etc… are so nice. I wouldn’t say it’s a niche since all of it is very usable for more conventional approach when it comes to spicing things up or getting something more unique. Noise is easy with it for sure. I don’t have any contacts in NYC otherwise I’d help you but maybe someone else does and could step in? I am not sure what the demand was in total but from what I have perceived I saw them in many cases over the years. I know Erica is doing a license for pedals but sadly it’s not euro… and there’s a lot of great unique sounding FX in that format. You seem to have a very good ear/feeling for exceptional flavor. I remember there was a compressor FX module in works along with other things if I am not mistaken but that got to a hault then. There’s a lot of exotic stuff out there these days but nothing cuts it as much. Even the chaos combo of TG with DB and CB on top allows for a very rewarding experience. Well let’s hope it’s only temporary and if you needed help with what I can do then just hit me up. I was hoping for a V2 on certain designs. Expander for the delay… Most of it is very self-contained to begin with which is a nice thing.

Best Wishes

mnchrme
loss1234
Wiggling with Experience

Post by loss1234 »

it makes me very happy to hear that you are someone who connected with my designs!

This thread has inspired me a bit. I spent the last 20 hours tearing apart my music studio so as to make enough room to get a desk setup with some breadboards so I guess let's see what comes out of that. i got the scope, bench supply, and toolbox all dusted off again.

in this day and age with a little bit of motivation it might be possible to figure out how get some things going again.
maybe at least do a run of pcbs etc.

I had quite a few finished designs which never got produced and I also had a few stand-a-lone instruments designed.

During Covid I also designed some really weird synth-sculpture noise devices which were even more niche than the normal Snazzy stuff.

anyhow thanks for the kind words and who knows maybe I could even see some people IRL. I may got visit BubbleSound soon in Portland and that might be enough.

later!

Return to “SNAZZY FX”