Expressive E Osmose

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.
Post Reply
User avatar
Ears
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by Ears »

sduck wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:01 pm Yay! Finally some good news!
Yes, at least I hope it is. If I've learned anything these last few years, it's don't get your hopes up.
User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10386
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by dubonaire »

Ears wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:10 pm
sduck wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:01 pm Yay! Finally some good news!
Yes, at least I hope it is. If I've learned anything these last few years, it's don't get your hopes up.
For sure. There are actually complete manufactured articles now so that is a step.
User avatar
Ears
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by Ears »

dubonaire wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:26 pm
Ears wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:10 pm
sduck wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:01 pm Yay! Finally some good news!
Yes, at least I hope it is. If I've learned anything these last few years, it's don't get your hopes up.
For sure. There are actually complete manufactured articles now so that is a step.
I’m not gonna celebrate until they all pass QC!
22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1686
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Yer mammy's dusty vibraphone

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by 22tape »

Does anyone know if the Eagan Matrix/Osmose is able to "force to scale?"

Also, can it do a more set/forget/standard portamento?
Satirical flash fiction piece about school shootings in America
Lit Rag-- The SissyFuss
Label-- TheseKidsAreNice: 3am's Phantom Distinction Fallacy EP CD available now
----------
User avatar
Ears
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by Ears »

What do you mean by “force to scale”?
Artomas
Common Wiggler
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:31 pm

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by Artomas »

22tape wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:36 pm Does anyone know if the Eagan Matrix/Osmose is able to "force to scale?"

Also, can it do a more set/forget/standard portamento?
The way it works on the Continuum is there are pitch rounding options. It can force everything to scale immediately, or you can dial in the speed it takes to round the note from where you contact the surface, to the nearest scale tone (it will round in either direction, + or -, whichever is closer). You can set it to whatever edo, or import scale files to the pitch table. You can stretch or contract the octave, vs the black and red markings on the surface. Even on sounds that are rounded, you can still slide +-x... and whenever you stop, it'll round to the nearest scale note.

I don't know how it will work on the Osmose, except I'm sure most of the presets will have round initial set to instantly snap to 12edo. But then the x axis is a big difference between Osmose and Continuum. I think someone else developed the pitch table functionality (not Haken Audio), so maybe Expressive E will make their own version just for the keyboard. That would actually be my guess.

I haven't really used the portamento, since it's easy to do manually, and it's not the beefiest monosynth (there are mono presets, tho). I'm pretty sure it does have normal portamento too, but I'm not near the editor to check right now. Because key release with Osmose won't be sudden as it would be with a regular MIDI controller, the gradual key release will effect the curve when pressure-weighted portamento is active. But I'm pretty sure there's a normal portamento option... just not 100%.
22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1686
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Yer mammy's dusty vibraphone

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by 22tape »

Artomas wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:31 pm
22tape wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:36 pm Does anyone know if the Eagan Matrix/Osmose is able to "force to scale?"

Also, can it do a more set/forget/standard portamento?
The way it works on the Continuum is there are pitch rounding options. It can force everything to scale immediately, or you can dial in the speed it takes to round the note from where you contact the surface, to the nearest scale tone (it will round in either direction, + or -, whichever is closer). You can set it to whatever edo, or import scale files to the pitch table. You can stretch or contract the octave, vs the black and red markings on the surface. Even on sounds that are rounded, you can still slide +-x... and whenever you stop, it'll round to the nearest scale note.

I don't know how it will work on the Osmose, except I'm sure most of the presets will have round initial set to instantly snap to 12edo. But then the x axis is a big difference between Osmose and Continuum. I think someone else developed the pitch table functionality (not Haken Audio), so maybe Expressive E will make their own version just for the keyboard. That would actually be my guess.

I haven't really used the portamento, since it's easy to do manually, and it's not the beefiest monosynth (there are mono presets, tho). I'm pretty sure it does have normal portamento too, but I'm not near the editor to check right now. Because key release with Osmose won't be sudden as it would be with a regular MIDI controller, the gradual key release will effect the curve when pressure-weighted portamento is active. But I'm pretty sure there's a normal portamento option... just not 100%.
Goodness, thanks a ton for the detailed answer! Very helpful. Welp, here's to hoping the Osmose gets a keyboard equivalent! And fingers crossed that Osmose will have a more standard portamento!

Is it safe to assume that the Osmose manual has not yet been released? Can't seem to find it.
Satirical flash fiction piece about school shootings in America
Lit Rag-- The SissyFuss
Label-- TheseKidsAreNice: 3am's Phantom Distinction Fallacy EP CD available now
----------
Artomas
Common Wiggler
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:31 pm

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by Artomas »

22tape wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:19 pm
Artomas wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:31 pm
22tape wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:36 pm Does anyone know if the Eagan Matrix/Osmose is able to "force to scale?"

Also, can it do a more set/forget/standard portamento?
The way it works on the Continuum is there are pitch rounding options. It can force everything to scale immediately, or you can dial in the speed it takes to round the note from where you contact the surface, to the nearest scale tone (it will round in either direction, + or -, whichever is closer). You can set it to whatever edo, or import scale files to the pitch table. You can stretch or contract the octave, vs the black and red markings on the surface. Even on sounds that are rounded, you can still slide +-x... and whenever you stop, it'll round to the nearest scale note.

I don't know how it will work on the Osmose, except I'm sure most of the presets will have round initial set to instantly snap to 12edo. But then the x axis is a big difference between Osmose and Continuum. I think someone else developed the pitch table functionality (not Haken Audio), so maybe Expressive E will make their own version just for the keyboard. That would actually be my guess.

I haven't really used the portamento, since it's easy to do manually, and it's not the beefiest monosynth (there are mono presets, tho). I'm pretty sure it does have normal portamento too, but I'm not near the editor to check right now. Because key release with Osmose won't be sudden as it would be with a regular MIDI controller, the gradual key release will effect the curve when pressure-weighted portamento is active. But I'm pretty sure there's a normal portamento option... just not 100%.
Goodness, thanks a ton for the detailed answer! Very helpful. Welp, here's to hoping the Osmose gets a keyboard equivalent! And fingers crossed that Osmose will have a more standard portamento!

Is it safe to assume that the Osmose manual has not yet been released? Can't seem to find it.
The EaganMatrix (and Continuum) manuals are on the Haken Audio site, but I haven't seen an Osmose manual anywhere yet.

The portamento question kinda has me wondering... the Continuum manual (in chapters 6 & 10) says portamento can be controlled by pressure difference (z-axis on Continuum) between two fingers, or controlled the normal way, as a timed parameter. But I only saw 1 portamento setting, and that was for pressure weighted. I assume there's something obvious I'm missing there, but IDK. I didn't see the reply notification from this thread, but I guess there wasn't any reason to hurry, regardless...
User avatar
wminor
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:37 pm
Location: San Francisco, but also Nando's

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by wminor »

Looks like we're still on track for the first units shipping before the end of the year. I'm getting quite excited! I feel like I was quite late on pulling the trigger on this so I imagine I won't get mine until early in 2023.

This new video sounds fantastic.
User avatar
adnauseam
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by adnauseam »

The announcement today mentions that the first container is on its way to Expressive.

They also mention that they request those who pre ordered login and choose a warehouse - to assist them in allocating preorder units
Cfp
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:29 pm

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by Cfp »

Great news, and looks like we save $600!
User avatar
Catchthehare
Common Wiggler
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:06 am
Location: London

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by Catchthehare »

Part of me is so bummed I had to sacrifice my 1st pre-order, I really did need that money back in 2020 when the world had gone to shit. I hope get one someday, even if at full whack.
gregtronic
Common Wiggler
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:06 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by gregtronic »

Super exciting. I think I pre-ordered on day 2 or 3 so we'll see if I end up being in the first batch or not.
User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5155
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by anselmi »

I finally canceled my order a few months ago.
The wait was too long and in that time other temptations appeared... and TBH, at the end of the day I'm not sure if my keyboard skills justify having this synth. On the other hand, I'm confident enough in my knob-twisting skills like to allocate those funds to a synth full of them
User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10386
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by dubonaire »

Cfp wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:40 pm Great news, and looks like we save $600!
Yes that came as a surprise, I was not looking forward to a large debit but this makes it pleasantly easier.

anselmi wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:04 pm TBH, at the end of the day I'm not sure if my keyboard skills justify having this synth.
That has crossed my mind on numerous occasions, but I find when it comes to interesting sounds I can kind of get away with it, and I expect more so with the Osmose given the added dimensionality.
User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5155
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by anselmi »

dubonaire wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:01 am
Cfp wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:40 pm Great news, and looks like we save $600!
Yes that came as a surprise, I was not looking forward to a large debit but this makes it pleasantly easier.

anselmi wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:04 pm TBH, at the end of the day I'm not sure if my keyboard skills justify having this synth.
That has crossed my mind on numerous occasions, but I find when it comes to interesting sounds I can kind of get away with it, and I expect more so with the Osmose given the added dimensionality.
And that was my argument for some time, I think quite valid, but I have to add the fact that I tried to visualize myself using the editor and it's definitely not going to happen. I avoid them like the plague. The single fact that having to use connect and use my computer to shape a sound turns me off.

I like the synth anyway and now that it's about to ship I still have some doubts about getting off that bandwagon. So I write all this to remind me why I did it!
User avatar
adnauseam
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by adnauseam »

Personally I think the combination of the incredibly playable and expressive keyboard interface combined with the eagenmatrix dsp engine is going to be killer.

I can't play keys, guitar, woodwinds, or anything else really. I think that's what appeals to me here. The sensitivity on so many levels will make it fun an interesting as compared to all these other things.
Cfp
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:29 pm

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by Cfp »

Laurie Spiegel considered synthesizers to be folk instruments, like a guitar or a fiddle. Whose approval do we need to justify having any instrument we can manage to obtain? I’d say play your Osmose with one finger if that’s all you can do. The other nine will catch up. Or not, who cares?
User avatar
folpon
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by folpon »

I consider myself a reasonably acceptable keyboard player, and I put down my preorder money so long ago that it feels like money someone else spent, so I guess I'm excited? Idk. I feel weirdly unable to remember why I was hyped about this instrument. Not sure why...?
Los Angeles Public Libra
@folpon
Macro/micro
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:33 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by Macro/micro »

folpon wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:22 pm I consider myself a reasonably acceptable keyboard player, and I put down my preorder money so long ago that it feels like money someone else spent, so I guess I'm excited? Idk. I feel weirdly unable to remember why I was hyped about this instrument. Not sure why...?
I’ve been on the preorder list since they started taking them and at points wondered the same thing as you. BUT! A few months ago, I got to play one for 2 hours and I fell in love with it. The amount of expression per key is truly something unique in the synth/keyboard world. The method of tweaking presets is very intuitive which is a game changer for the Egan matrix.
User avatar
rowsbywoof
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:20 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by rowsbywoof »

It's been a long time coming, for sure, but I appreciate all of the updates Expressive sent during the last few years and never once felt like they could have handled this better in a very trying and difficult time to get a new product built. I know it's jumping the gun a little... It hasn't shipped yet, but it does seem like we're nearing the finish line.
User avatar
Ears
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by Ears »

rowsbywoof wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:58 pm It's been a long time coming, for sure, but I appreciate all of the updates Expressive sent during the last few years and never once felt like they could have handled this better in a very trying and difficult time to get a new product built. I know it's jumping the gun a little... It hasn't shipped yet, but it does seem like we're nearing the finish line.
Arms crossed…

(it’s a starfish joke)
User avatar
whyfarer
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:44 pm
Location: The Questioning Zones

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by whyfarer »

dubonaire wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:01 am
Cfp wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:40 pm Great news, and looks like we save $600!
Yes that came as a surprise, I was not looking forward to a large debit but this makes it pleasantly easier.
What's this news about saving 600$?
User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10386
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by dubonaire »

whyfarer wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:26 pm
dubonaire wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:01 am
Cfp wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:40 pm Great news, and looks like we save $600!
Yes that came as a surprise, I was not looking forward to a large debit but this makes it pleasantly easier.
What's this news about saving 600$?
Actually it’s $700, and I think I had just forgotten it was an early bird discount.
Cfp
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:29 pm

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by Cfp »

dubonaire wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:19 pm
whyfarer wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:26 pm
dubonaire wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:01 am
Cfp wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:40 pm Great news, and looks like we save $600!
Yes that came as a surprise, I was not looking forward to a large debit but this makes it pleasantly easier.
What's this news about saving 600$?
Actually it’s $700, and I think I had just forgotten it was an early bird discount.
I guess you ordered earlier than I did. My order was locked at $1205.
Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”