Favorite Stereo Delay Pedals?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.
Richard deHove
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Favorite Stereo Delay Pedals?

Post by Richard deHove »

olix wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:22 am I hesitate between the Walrus Mako D1 and the Keeley Halo. Help me please!
Never used either, but I have used several other Keeley pedals and find that they do not work well with line level. I had to be very careful to not overload them, much more so than any other brand. But maybe that's just me.
cruelangelthesis
Common Wiggler

Post by cruelangelthesis »

+1 Oto Bim
VirginiaKeith
Common Wiggler

Post by VirginiaKeith »

+2 OTO Bim !
hpc
Common Wiggler

Post by hpc »

Empress Echosystem has been my favorite for a while now, mainly due to the dual engine and the quality of their DSP work. After many years of owning and loving a TimeFactor (which I maintain is highly highly underrated, ES managed to come out on top in every test I performed.
https://linktr.ee/hype.consumer

Pedals | Eurorack | Synths | Guitars | DAW-full
zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl »

Another one I forgot to mention is Hologram Microcosm. In addition to its granular and looping effects, it has "Multidelay" - a delay line with selectable number of taps creates a wide variety of rhythmic and textural effects.
2 effects, each with 4 preset variations:
PATTERN - Delay taps are arranged into four different rhythmic patterns.
WARP - Delay taps are manipulated using filters and pitch shifting to create spacious textural effects.
vintageroad
Common Wiggler

Post by vintageroad »

Haven’t tried the Keeley Halo, but had the ECCOS and it’s awesome. Can’t go wrong with Keeley

If not on the list, Source Audio Collider or Nemesis

+1 for Strymon El Cap. The new V2 has some new tricks up it’s sleeve!
abluesky
Common Wiggler

Post by abluesky »

I’ve got the zen delay, and what I can’t stand is the 2k sine tone/hum. Makes the high pass filter more or less useless. It’s also tricky to gain stage. Distorts very easily and I don’t think it handles transients all that well. Not as good as the BOSS DM-2w that’s for sure. To get that crushed echo trails sound, you really have to dial in the tube drive, which again is tricky because of the gain staging. Also, the digital model still exhibit is ugly negative feedback. And there is no true bypass. The extremely well controlled feedback is truly special and unique, but I got to tell you it’s not easy to dial in the tempo, again not as easy as the DM-2w.

ALL that being said, when the zen delay hits it’s sweet spot it is soooo sweet.
Richard deHove wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:00 pm I've churned a lot of stereo delays. They are all very different with particular strengths and weaknesses. What has helped me lately is identifying particular features I want, and want to avoid. For example, I hate mystery knobs - functions that require a reference card. Not a fan of menu systems or dual-function knobs. In the wants department, do you value deep stereo field options? Or different types of delays such as reverse, pattern, swell, ice etc? Or maybe long delay times? Do you want a filter on board, or maybe drive? Do you want lots of options or something which has an excellent core sound which is then just tweaked?
After many, many delays I'm down to four stereo units:
RE-202: No stereo field to speak of but excellent WYSIWYG controls, great EQ options, interesting patterns
Timeline: Requires programming, surprisingly thin on stereo field options but otherwise has all the normal and exotic flavors
DIG: Simple controls, some dual-function stuff, nice ping pong, a deep stereo sound. Not overly digital to my ears
Zen: The ultimate WYSIWYG unit, great drive options, long delay time, good stereo field options
weekofthetitan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by weekofthetitan »

Can’t go wrong with the tried and true DL4
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio »

thelowerrhythm wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:52 pm Digitech Obscura.
+1

Great BBD, tape and 8 bit digital delay algorithms, and very good at making them sound old / low-fi.

Alas, I think it is discontinued now.
thelowerrhythm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm »

Blairio wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:52 pm
thelowerrhythm wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:52 pm Digitech Obscura.
+1

Great BBD, tape and 8 bit digital delay algorithms, and very good at making them sound old / low-fi.

Alas, I think it is discontinued now.
What a shame!
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."
pekbro
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pekbro »

I like the Timeline, though I prefer analog delays, sadly none of the analog delays I have are stereo.
lowkeyluce
Common Wiggler

Post by lowkeyluce »

Love my UAFX Starlight
proxy
Common Wiggler

Post by proxy »

olix wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:22 am I hesitate between the Walrus Mako D1 and the Keeley Halo. Help me please!
The HALO! :sb:
sacguy71
Common Wiggler

Post by sacguy71 »

Strymon Timeline is great.
My Music and samples
https://soundcloud.com/pebcap

My Old samples and music when I started learning music production
https://soundcloud.com/modben
olix
Common Wiggler

Post by olix »

Finally, the Zoom MS-70CDR is enough for my needs
no_rocks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by no_rocks »

Are there any new pedals out there that can approximate the Lexicon Prime Time? So many excellent and unique delays around these days. Still looking for something affordable that does what it does (in hardware at least - Primal Tap plugin has it down). I’ve made a few attempts at a pedalboard-sized setup that approximates its workflow/steez, with no appreciable success.
Jopy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jopy »

Another +1 for the El Capistan. I've sold every other one of my delay and reverb pedals because there's nothing else I've heard that has so much butter oozing from every single pore of its existence. It's the secret ingredient that makes greasy Moog pads, crispy wah guitar, and velvety Rhodes comping extra luscious. It can also do clean or disintegrating loops, and has a nice spring reverb to boot. Try to make it sound bad, I dare you!
proxy
Common Wiggler

Post by proxy »

Jopy wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:25 pm Another +1 for the El Capistan. I've sold every other one of my delay and reverb pedals because there's nothing else I've heard that has so much butter oozing from every single pore of its existence. It's the secret ingredient that makes greasy Moog pads, crispy wah guitar, and velvety Rhodes comping extra luscious. It can also do clean or disintegrating loops, and has a nice spring reverb to boot. Try to make it sound bad, I dare you!
damn now I want one
abluesky
Common Wiggler

Post by abluesky »

no_rocks wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:26 pm Are there any new pedals out there that can approximate the Lexicon Prime Time? So many excellent and unique delays around these days. Still looking for something affordable that does what it does (in hardware at least - Primal Tap plugin has it down). I’ve made a few attempts at a pedalboard-sized setup that approximates its workflow/steez, with no appreciable success.
OTO BIM maybe.
no_rocks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by no_rocks »

abluesky wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:16 pm OTO BIM maybe.
Thanks for the suggestion, i’ve got one! It is a really beautiful sounding device. I bought it a couple years back in the hopes it might do the PT thing. In terms of delay quality and flexibility, it gets there. But that trick of downsampling and pitchshifting in direct proportion to delay speed…nope. That new Vongon box was another promising candidate. I’ve only seen the demos and it looks like it brings the pitch stuff in but not the downsampling.
no_rocks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by no_rocks »

Two more new-ish devices that capture aspects of the PT (and seem beautiful and inventive in their own right):

Tho i believe neither are stereo?
Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie »

It’s only got one trick......
But it’ll do something! And it is unique.
A625E2C1-F0B1-4BCA-B334-79E5142B8BD6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lead not, unless into temptation.
Eurorack Associated Noise Generation.
My mess 2018-20xx
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCCRtuyo_t_evIYl0VhSZjMA
abluesky
Common Wiggler

Post by abluesky »

no_rocks wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:27 pm
abluesky wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:16 pm OTO BIM maybe.
Thanks for the suggestion, i’ve got one! It is a really beautiful sounding device. I bought it a couple years back in the hopes it might do the PT thing. In terms of delay quality and flexibility, it gets there. But that trick of downsampling and pitchshifting in direct proportion to delay speed…nope. That new Vongon box was another promising candidate. I’ve only seen the demos and it looks like it brings the pitch stuff in but not the downsampling.
What about this? Not a pedal per se.

https://synthtech.com/eurorack/E520/

Prime Dual Tap Delay

“The Prime Dual Tap Delay is an emulation of the Lexicon Prime Time T93 rack-mount delay. It is a resampling delay which allows control of both the delay line length (for granular cross-fade effects) as well as sample rate (for smooth delay changes and FM effects). As the original, this is a mono effect in that there is one delay line whose input is an equal mix of Left and Right channels and separate output taps for Left and Right channels with independent delay lengths that are selectable from a pre-determined set which includes delays that have relatively prime ratios. Controllable 4th-order lowpass filters are available in the feedback path if desired. Buffer lengths well beyond that of the original Prime Time effect are available and the two outputs may be mixed down to mono if desired.”
bphenix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bphenix »

no_rocks wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:26 pm Are there any new pedals out there that can approximate the Lexicon Prime Time? So many excellent and unique delays around these days. Still looking for something affordable that does what it does (in hardware at least - Primal Tap plugin has it down). I’ve made a few attempts at a pedalboard-sized setup that approximates its workflow/steez, with no appreciable success.
Vongon is specifically going for the PT vibe: https://www.vongon.com/products/polyphrase
Not particularly affordable but it is stereo and has 22 seconds of delay memory. I’d be all over this if I didn’t already have a PTII but even still, I may pick it up once it is available again.
Richard deHove
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove »

I've ended up selling the Roland RE-202 because of its awful stereo field - which I should have realized. Meh. Now since I'm in the mood I might get rid of the Zen Delay as well - for a second time. For some reason I've never been happy with the way it clocks. Doesn't matter if it's tap or MIDI it just never seems to be right for me. The best mode is a washy sort of thing with a bit of drive that well simulates a dirty reverb, which is lovely but not worth the cost.
Best atm the moment is, I hate to say, the DIG. Which makes me think El Capistan V2 might be even better.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”