Advice on a 6 x input stereo mixer

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.
jonjl86
Learning to Wiggle

Advice on a 6 x input stereo mixer

Post by jonjl86 »

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice on a mixer.

Ideally, I’m looking for 6 x stereo inputs with a stereo out. Currently using an Erica Black Stereo Mixer v3 which I like very much but finding myself wanting 2 more channels.

I’ve not had much luck looking online – have come across the Ladiks but, at the risk of sounding picky, I’m not a big fan of faders.

As my case if 7u, I’m thinking about just buying 3 x 1u Intellijel Stereo Mixers and chaining them together. Seems a little excessive but I’m more willing to give of 1u space than 3u.

Alternatively, if there’s any external mixers any one’s used, I’d be interested to hear about it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Advice on a 6 x input stereo mixer

Post by Just another rookie »

See about I/o instruments sponde. Has faders.

Not technically what you asked for.
It’ll work as 2x6 stereo mixer with pan and 4 stereo sends.
Might be a bit clunky in use that way.
(It can double up mono)
Or it works as a 2x6 mono.....
Or some combination of attenuator.
It is quite a useful unit and the most flexible in rack mixer option I own.

Unless you absolutely always want only 6 stereo channels.

Daisy chain befaco st mix will give 8 channels with rotary control.
Lead not, unless into temptation.
Eurorack Associated Noise Generation.
My mess 2018-20xx
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCCRtuyo_t_evIYl0VhSZjMA
mosorensen
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mosorensen »

I agree that stereo is the way to go.

You could also chain two Hyrlos (Knob Farm) or two 4x Stereo Mixers (Happy Nerding)

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/knob-farm-hyrlo

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-ner ... -mix-black

I use the external mixer X.Sum from Speck, which works wonderfully and has 16 stereo channels.

http://www.speck.com/xsum/xsum.html
The Journey is the Destination
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug »

How much stereo do you need? How much space will you allocate? Playing live or recording tracks for later editing?

Mixer choices are very personal and full of compromises. For instance, I'm finding a Happy Nerding Panmix is just right for one thing I'm doing even though only two of the six inputs are stereo. It's just 16hp and provides some stereo and some voltage control. A good fit for nerdy generative things I'm doing where most of the effects are inline with the sources. For other situations I'd want something very different.
:nana:
edmuggles
Common Wiggler

Post by edmuggles »

you could also chain two of the befaco ST mix's together, that would give ou 8 chan in 12HP
hel1
Common Wiggler

Post by hel1 »

+1 for the sponde.
I have a befaco stereo mixer, an endorphin cockpit, and an erica black stereo mixer, the befaco and the erica are routed into the cockpit (with two other stereo sources), and the cockpit into two channels of the hexmix. the sponde is used for rhythmical sources. what makes it stand out is the possibilities that it offers: use it as a 6 channel mixer, mono or stereo, route one channel into another, use the outputs as sends, very versatile. having faders is a bonus. all this for a decent price. I might get a second one.
kabelsalat22
Common Wiggler

Post by kabelsalat22 »

Cosmotronic Cosmix. You lose one stereo channel for FX returns, but otherwise is a great sounding 6 channel stereo mixer. Pittsburgh Modular just released a limited run of really nice sounding “Okapi” mixers. Can’t remember how many channels they have though.
boscio
Common Wiggler

Post by boscio »

You could just get a Befaco STMix and take the stereo out of your Erica Black Stereo Mixer into the Aux input of the STMix. That way you still have all 4 stereo inputs on the STMix available in addition to the Erica Synths one you already have.
Stu B
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

jonjl86 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:02 am Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice on a mixer.

Ideally, I’m looking for 6 x stereo inputs with a stereo out. Currently using an Erica Black Stereo Mixer v3 which I like very much but finding myself wanting 2 more channels.

I’ve not had much luck looking online – have come across the Ladiks but, at the risk of sounding picky, I’m not a big fan of faders.

As my case if 7u, I’m thinking about just buying 3 x 1u Intellijel Stereo Mixers and chaining them together. Seems a little excessive but I’m more willing to give of 1u space than 3u.

Alternatively, if there’s any external mixers any one’s used, I’d be interested to hear about it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
You could look at the Frap Tools CGM. Lot of HP for that case though maybe. Does have built in VCAs though and 2 effect sends.
parasabda
Learning to Wiggle

Post by parasabda »

Befaco ST mix is hard to beat. The smallest solution is probably two Happy Nerding 4x St. Mix modules.

Personally, I also like the Antumbra 6mix because of the mutes and flexibility of using it for both mono and stereo signals.
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

It's not cheap, and not particularly small, but I really like the Frap Tools CGM system.

My system consists of six SC (Stereo Channel) modules, a Group, and the older Master module. The SC modules are pretty playable, the system sounds great, and is pretty flexible. It's voltage controllable to an extreme extent.
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)
Eurorack System - https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2014830
Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie »

Hey cbm, your avatar reminds of;
Till deaf do us part. Slade.
Lead not, unless into temptation.
Eurorack Associated Noise Generation.
My mess 2018-20xx
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCCRtuyo_t_evIYl0VhSZjMA

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”