Bent ICSP Pins

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.
Jackson0002
Learning to Wiggle

Bent ICSP Pins

Post by Jackson0002 »

I just received a brand new Piston Honda Mk3 module and the ICSP pins were bent. Based on some brief research, it appears this six pin ICSP interface is used at the factory to load firmware, etc. It is not used to connect power to the module. Anyone know whether I will have any future need for that connection and therefore any reason to worry about these bent pins? I’m guessing I could try to carefully bend them back into shape if it were necessary but just wondering if anyone sees any risk of using the module with these bent pins?
Morphology
Common Wiggler

Re: Bent ICSP Pins

Post by Morphology »

As long as none of them are touching each other, and whatever bent them didn't cause physical damage to the PCB then I can't see that it would affect the operation at all.

The header will probably only be needed if at any time you wanted to upgrade the firmware. Even then, you'd probably do so by connecting individual DuPont jumpers to whatever programming device you were using (PicKit 3, or whatever) in which case you might find you can still connect them (depending on how much they are bent).

Personally, I'd probably get some needle-nosed pliers and (gently) bend them roughly back into alignment.

Morph
There are only 10 different types of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
Jackson0002
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jackson0002 »

That’s extremely helpful, Morph…much appreciated! Just for the edification of others who might come across this, I also spoke with the good folks at Perfect Circuit (who sold me the module) and they came out in exactly the same place.
boscio
Common Wiggler

Post by boscio »

Jackson0002 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:46 am I also spoke with the good folks at Perfect Circuit (who sold me the module).
Random question, but was this a pre-order? I've been keeping my eyes on stock availability at Perfect Circuit for a while and haven't seen it change to in stock... I wonder if they have so many pre-orders in place that any new stock has gone to fulfilling pre-orders before going out of stock again, lol.
Jackson0002
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jackson0002 »

Yes, it was a pre-order at PC, from many months ago.
boscio
Common Wiggler

Post by boscio »

Nice! I was actually finally able to snag one from Control in NY. Should be coming in next week! :party:
boscio
Common Wiggler

Post by boscio »

Just wanted to share that I got mine in the mail last night and those pins were also bent on my unit. So it must've been a rushed batch or something as I'm sure they're trying their best to fulfill orders.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”