Any headless fans here?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.
TumeniKnobs
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Any headless fans here?

Post by TumeniKnobs »

I love my Strandberg Boden 5 bass. I bought it cuz my Bongo was killing my shoulder on those 4 hour gigs. The size and weight difference is a huge plus for me, and of course it sounds great and the unique neck profile is actually really good. I loved the Bongo but I don’t miss it. Cheers!
The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump »

It is pretty awesome to see David Kind basses around. He's got to be on the top 5 for sickest luthiers on the planet. One day, I will have him build one for me. Can't decide if I want an A or a D style.
NoGuitars
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NoGuitars »

My main guitar is a Strandberg. When I saw it in a store the first time I had to laugh out loud as I found it so incredibly ugly. But when I played it, I as hooked: it was the most responsive guitar I ever played.
woVERTICES
Wiggling with Experience

Post by woVERTICES »

I was immediately taken by the organic beauty of Kieran Downes' figured walnut top guitar. Form and function come together, an instrument capable of warm singing tones, crunching leads, and everything in-between! The pleasure of inviting playability pushes the player to better negotiate the fretboard while the comfortable ergonomics, a sculptural masterwork, allows for protracted playing - BETTER playing! This is simply an extraordinary instrument, a beautiful tool for musical creation! - John
6AE5428D-00C4-4193-8D89-AD3B3B4B1D3B_1_201_a.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
everydaycurry
Ultra Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry »

I stand with David Fair on headless guitars
The first guitar I bought was a Silvertone. Later I bought a Fender Telecaster, but it really doesn’t matter what kind you buy as long as the tuning pegs are on the end of the neck where they belong. A few years back someone came out with a guitar that tunes at the other end. I’ve never tried one. I guess they sound alright but they look ridiculous and I imagine you’d feel pretty foolish holding one. That would affect your playing. The idea isn’t to feel foolish. The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world.
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief »

My next bass will almost certainly be headless and short scale. Tired of bashing the headstock of even an Ibanez Mikro into stuff while I'm sitting at the DAW.

In many cases I like the looks. I appreciate that some designers and players are more open to new ideas, and I always thought the big lump of a headstock on the Fender P-bass is comically hideous anyway.
timothyd4y
Learning to Wiggle

Post by timothyd4y »

woVERTICES wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:01 pm I was immediately taken by the organic beauty of Kieran Downes' figured walnut top guitar. Form and function come together, an instrument capable of warm singing tones, crunching leads, and everything in-between! The pleasure of inviting playability pushes the player to better negotiate the fretboard while the comfortable ergonomics, a sculptural masterwork, allows for protracted playing - BETTER playing! This is simply an extraordinary instrument, a beautiful tool for musical creation!
Wow that is a nice-looking instrument. Headless has me curious.
Music maker and sound editor. Let's do something!

LinkTree
Modular Grid
woVERTICES
Wiggling with Experience

Post by woVERTICES »

Check out his website at Downesguitars.com...it is a GREAT instrument and Kieran is easy to do business with!
Best,
John
od120
Common Wiggler

Post by od120 »

7A9D66D3-9ED7-4962-B7F4-97B12B93B4EA.jpeg
My Steinberger GR-4
Its my first guitar. I also had a spirit for a while but it wasnt as comfortable.

Im not really happy with the stock humbuckers. They are slightly
Muddy and Im starting to think I might be a single coil guy but the rabbithole of what pickups to choose drives me mad.

So Ive Been keeping my eye open for a local Strat, and everytime I hold one I just feel stupid fog giving up the compactness and tune stability of the steinberger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
od120
Common Wiggler

Post by od120 »

Well I ended up putting Seymour Duncan Lipsticks in the Steinberger. It sounds way more Alive and airy bit still holds great sustain!
AAB05902-71D9-4810-A8ED-7241F3333D90.jpeg
flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts »

Used to play a 7-string headless guitar - my friend has it now because I'm still not much of a guitarist and he loved it. It was loads more practical and fun to play in a small studio room or couch though, so much smaller and lighter than a regular size and shape guitar. (Plus if I ever get another non-bass guitar it's going to be a seven string or a baritone based on this experience...)

But! I guess this thing of mine I've practised pretty intensively for the past half a year still counts, most fun I've had with a single instrument for ages and ages: https://stick.com/instruments/ns/ ... I'm not sure if it counts as a guitar, bass, both, or neither but it's perfect for solo / looping stuff.
Never stop loving music
Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jarno »

starthief wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:29 am My next bass will almost certainly be headless and short scale. Tired of bashing the headstock of even an Ibanez Mikro into stuff while I'm sitting at the DAW.

In many cases I like the looks. I appreciate that some designers and players are more open to new ideas, and I always thought the big lump of a headstock on the Fender P-bass is comically hideous anyway.
Contemplated buying the Ibanez fanned fret 5 string short-mediumscale, and making a different body for it. They are exceptionally ugly, imho, an objectively bad design. But they concept is brilliant, I think. But 1100 euro and then chucking the body seems a bit of a waste :D
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief »

Jarno wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:10 pm Contemplated buying the Ibanez fanned fret 5 string short-mediumscale, and making a different body for it. They are exceptionally ugly, imho, an objectively bad design. But they concept is brilliant, I think. But 1100 euro and then chucking the body seems a bit of a waste :D
Haven't tried one in person, but from photos I mostly like the EHB style except for the truss rod cover. Also the color choices on their short scale are really limited.

But I wound up getting a MÜB Miezo 18 and I love it. I have no problems wearing it sitting down at my corner desk, alternating between playing bass and synths. The only thing I'm not sure about is round wound strings, but I hesitate to switch to flats and risk losing something in the sound.

BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights »

Pretty slick... ^
Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jarno »

Cool bass!
dimensionalbleedthru
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dimensionalbleedthru »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the benefit of headless guitars?
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

dimensionalbleedthru wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:40 pm Pardon my ignorance, but what is the benefit of headless guitars?
Depends on the brand but they are more compact, lighter weight and some think they feel more balanced. They often come with modifications to the body and some times neck that make them a little more ergonomic too. Then there are things like multiscale necks (fanned frets). The shape of the neck on Strandbergs is quite unique as well. My Strandbergs are the lightest and most comfortable guitars I've ever owned.
dimensionalbleedthru
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dimensionalbleedthru »

Ahhh....I see. Thanks for clarifying.
Dilibob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dilibob »

A little specific to 8 string players ... On ergonomics my strandberg 8 string is more comfortable to play than my old les paul (i have arthritis too). Also on 8 string it's nice to have the frets on an angle, so there is a lot more on ergonomics then just being headless on the strandberg. Also the shift in arm position of the neck to more vertical when playing 8 string makes having the cut off body more important then the headless (like on the abasi which isnt headless, but also on the strandberg).
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

Dilibob wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:20 am A little specific to 8 string players ... On ergonomics my strandberg 8 string is more comfortable to play than my old les paul (i have arthritis too). Also on 8 string it's nice to have the frets on an angle, so there is a lot more on ergonomics then just being headless on the strandberg. Also the shift in arm position of the neck to more vertical when playing 8 string makes having the cut off body more important then the headless (like on the abasi which isnt headless, but also on the strandberg).
I have a Boden 8 and 6. They are both fantastic.
Grinder
Common Wiggler

Post by Grinder »

NoGuitars wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:20 am My main guitar is a Strandberg. When I saw it in a store the first time I had to laugh out loud as I found it so incredibly ugly. But when I played it, I as hooked: it was the most responsive guitar I ever played.
Totally can relate I still think they are ugly as hell but I played a strandberg 7 the last time I was at sweetwater and it was so much fun, I felt like I could fly on that thing. They are badass
Technologear?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Technologear? »

Sinamsis wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:29 pm
dimensionalbleedthru wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:40 pm Pardon my ignorance, but what is the benefit of headless guitars?
Depends on the brand but they are more compact, lighter weight and some think they feel more balanced. They often come with modifications to the body and some times neck that make them a little more ergonomic too. Then there are things like multiscale necks (fanned frets). The shape of the neck on Strandbergs is quite unique as well. My Strandbergs are the lightest and most comfortable guitars I've ever owned.
I got into them because of ergonomics, specifically to avoid neck dive. I play long scale instruments (bass, baritone) and the longer neck means any weight at the head can add a strong counter lever force, sending the neck down from my preferred angled playing position. This results in you having to cradle the neck with your fretting hand, in a baseball bat hold type position, which loads your muscles in that hand and forearm. It also prevents you from playing with your fingers parallel to the fretboard (like when you play a keyboard) which is my preferred position and often recommended for classical acoustic guitar playing.

If you like to play with your thumb creeping over the top of the neck close to the low E string, then you probably wouldn't care about this ergonomics issue. However, if you fret with your thumb planted on the back centre of the neck, sending your elbow away from your body, fingers more parallel to the frets, then a headless can feel like lightning to play on. They feel so good that you stop caring how it looks.
The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump »

Besides the aforementioned ergonomic advantages, by removing the headstock, the resonant nodes that can often cause dead spots and hot spots often found on headed designs, are shifted to places where they will not cause phase interferences with fundamentals or harmonics on the instrument, thus enabling a much more consistent note response across the fretboard.

Also, they are much easier to travel with, and you would be amazed at how fewer collisions you will have with cymbals, other instruments, etc..
NoGuitars
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NoGuitars »

The Grump wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:48 am
Besides the aforementioned ergonomic advantages, by removing the headstock, the resonant nodes that can often cause dead spots and hot spots often found on headed designs, are shifted to places where they will not cause phase interferences with fundamentals or harmonics on the instrument, thus enabling a much more consistent note response across the fretboard.

Also, they are much easier to travel with, and you would be amazed at how fewer collisions you will have with cymbals, other instruments, etc..
So true! My regular guitars have cuts, dings and dents all over their headstocks.

Oh, and what isn't there cannot snap off...
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

I'm really thinking about getting a custom Kiesel Zeus multiscale 6 string. Anyone here have some love for Kiesels? I had looked into them in the past, but I'm really ready to take the plunge now I think.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”