help me to clean a system that has been subject to cables doused in beer

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

help me to clean a system that has been subject to cables doused in beer

Post by BaloErets »

From the intern, I am not asking for advice towards how to deal with or communicate with the people I care about. That I can deal with in my own way. I really search for your expertise on how/if I might save my system. I am sure you all have excellent advice on the subject of how I should deal with the person/people who caused this issue, but please understand it's not the advice I am seeking

I've come to the realization that a night of heavy celebration had the consequence of a batch of my cables being doused in beer, and without the knowledge of this happening, proceed for the next weeks to use these cables as normal.

Today I feel that some of my modules behave erratically, and I can trace it down to these modules being used heavily with the cables that had been baptized within those last 2 days.

Is there a thoughtful and safe process where I can clean those inputs that have been contaminated, or am I only left with the choice of when my very good friend asks of how the issues are progressing that I have to tell him, without wanting to make him feel guilty, that he ruined 1000s of my gear?
revtor
Dialing it in..

Re: help me to clean a system that has been subject to cables doused in beer

Post by revtor »

Some kind of bottle cleaning brush or lab glassware brush / swab and alcohol should do it..?
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic
Kawouddd
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd »

Warmth? Hair dryer the bastard lot of them?

I assume any or all damage should really be attributable to water. Get rid of that and you're onto a promising start (beyond identifying and fixing any damage left by said water).

What other mechanisms do you think could be causing the problems? The jacks should have sobered up by now, if that was causing hiccups.
cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt »

Soapy water works as well as anything, on the cables. Don't dunk them, though. Soak a rag and wipe the cables down well, then dry them with a towel. Clean the jacks by spraying them with contact cleaner, then insert and pull a plug a few times.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com
ŘłB23³
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ŘłB23³ »

I'd use rubbing alcohol qtips on the Jack's, then follow up w dry qtips to remove any excess moisture from the malfunctioning modules. Then I'd kick dudes ass
The Peasant
Wiggling with Experience

Post by The Peasant »

Be careful with qtips inserted into the jacks as they can leave little bits of fuzz inside that can affect the connection to the plug. Pipe cleaners may be safer.

Heat may bake in the contamination, so be very careful with that as well. Very dangerous!

Take care,
Doug
Last edited by The Peasant on Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Electronic Peasant

www.electronicpeasant.com
The Peasant
Wiggling with Experience

Post by The Peasant »

Deleleted. Double post.

Take care,
Doug
The Electronic Peasant

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

Yeah distilled water or isopropyl alcohol would be your best bets. I’d use alcohol as it dries really fast so there is little chance of little pools collecting in nooks and crannies. I would personally avoid soap unless you know what the ingredients are. Lint-free rags would be better than q-tips.
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

Oh and obviously allow for plenty of dry time before turning anything on. Best to remove all modules and turn on the case, then test each module.
TumeniKnobs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TumeniKnobs »

If I understand correctly, you need to clean inside the jacks, right? If I had to deal with this I would look for some very small foam swabs designed for cleaning electronics. I would use a tiny amount of electronic contact cleaner or alcohol on one of those and delicately rub it in the jack. It might require repeated tries to clean up. I saw Wellgler's Cleaning Swabs at Amazon that might be good. (I tried including a link but it didn’t work).
The Peasant
Wiggling with Experience

Post by The Peasant »

Electronic contact cleaner or alcohol will not be as effective as a water-based cleaner for something like beer. You can certainly follow that up with contact cleaner or alcohol.

Foam swabs can work well but be careful of sharp parts inside the jacks tearing little bits of foam off to get stuck in the jacks like qtip fuzz would be. Best to stick with bristle type cleaners and brushes.

Take care,
Doug
The Electronic Peasant

TumeniKnobs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TumeniKnobs »

The Peasant wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:57 pm Electronic contact cleaner or alcohol will not be as effective as a water-based cleaner for something like beer. You can certainly follow that up with contact cleaner or alcohol.

Foam swabs can work well but be careful of sharp parts inside the jacks tearing little bits of foam off to get stuck in the jacks like qtip fuzz would be. Best to stick with bristle type cleaners and brushes.

Take care,
Doug
Interesting. Yeah I’m thinking more about the pipe cleaner idea…. I sincerely hope I never have to put these ideas to the test. I think it’s going to be recoverable though. Good luck OP - sorry you have to deal with this. And +1 on the previous ass kicking recommendation. :-)
insan0r
Learning to Wiggle

Post by insan0r »

Just to share my experience here, maybe someone else finds it usefull:

I soaked some of my modules with beer - luckily the case was turned off. After immediately turning the case upside down and wiping the beer off, I disassembled the modules. Removed knobs, nuts and frontpanel. Then washed the modules gently with water, a mild soap and a soft toothbrush, the inputs with a (tobacco) pipe cleaner. After rinsing I soaked the modules in 99.5 isopropyl alcohol to get the water off. Let the modules dry for 2 days and for another day in a air dryer at 35°C.

All my modules are still working. No guarantee but this has worked for me.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”