Beltane drones

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.
atomd
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Beltane drones

Post by atomd »

Wow, teach me master. I enjoyed every single clip.

What I'd add is that besides panning you can get interesting stereo effect using phase not amplitude. Like taking signal through different allpass filters for left and right channels. Or even more fancy by low passing mid channel and high passing and phase changing side channel
levelhead3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by levelhead3 »

atomd wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:30 am Wow, teach me master. I enjoyed every single clip.

What I'd add is that besides panning you can get interesting stereo effect using phase not amplitude. Like taking signal through different allpass filters for left and right channels. Or even more fancy by low passing mid channel and high passing and phase changing side channel
LOL I don't know about "master" - for the most part these tracks are me exploring new/repaired modules and just generally getting reacquainted with modular in general. Glad you liked 'em!

Plus panning is a pretty simple and available technique, whereas using phase and M-S processing is kind of next level. I know M-S has become kind of a thing - a buddy has an M-S module in his Euro setup now, but my only experience with it was using a combo stereo mic+decoder for drum overheads and knowing that it's used in mastering.

So you're one up on me! :yay:

The only (somewhat obvious) observation I have is that for textural/drone stuff the hardest thing for me is balancing the immersive nature without it being boring. You want the listener to be able to get lost in it without losing interest, and I've always found that a tricky line to walk.

Slow panning is an easy and effective add to help with that, and VC panning allows you to sweep the pan in relationship with other timbre or textural changes. I'm also a huge fan of quadrature LFO's for that same reason - at slow rates the patterns of different parameters changing in out of phase sync are almost subliminally related without being obvious.

Another trick is to use a unipolar quadrature LFO to control a 4-channel VCA whose outputs are panned to different points in the stereo field. Especially when you use related-but-different sources for all four channels the effect is a huge evolving spread of sound. A fun combo is a 294 into a 292 - I use that a lot.

That last track actually combined panning with something really similar to the EQ trick you described - a single voice is split - one side goes through a ring modulator and then both hit bandpass filters with different center frequencies - and then they're both being panned by the same LFO but in opposite directions.

One last thing which helps a lot - I've also got a couple output modules with VC panning that I've modded with taps on the individual panned outputs, which let's me record and process them separately during mixing. Perhaps not totally necessary, especially for these kind of "as-is" performances, but having that flexibility for post-processing never hurts.
levelhead3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by levelhead3 »

sturgeon supermoon drone, first patch with the might Siegfried!
levelhead3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by levelhead3 »

another multi-day cycling generative drone, all 200r except for a Hale LWAD

Return to “Your Tunes Here”