Love Me Some Dotcoms

Discussion and support for Synthesizers.com products
kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Love Me Some Dotcoms

Post by kindredlost »

I'm a fanboy of synthesizers dot com and would like to name a few reasons why.

1. Familiar format to Moog. It's the main reason I was attracted to the company and still love the look and function of some of the modules. They aren't exactly identical except for the Q900 series modules but they have the same sparse and open virtue which is easy on my visual involvement.

2. They are affordable. The starter program (module a month) was the gateway for me and I suspect many more.

3. 99% of the time all modules work as expected and I've never had a failure due to design flaws or build quality. Pretty sure this is harder to do than it seems.

4. Things at this point are in transition but in the past the customer service and communication aspect of the company have been industry standard.

Probably more I could add but gotta go. As Arrick used to say "so many knobs, so little time".
fac
wig MUffler

Re: Love Me Some Dotcoms

Post by fac »

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Modular-land is crazy these days, but 20 years ago there weren't many options. If you wanted ready-made modules and didn't want to spend a fortune, it was either dotcom or Doepfer. For DIYers there was also MOTM and frac-rack. There was also Wiard (300 series), which really interested me, but they were expensive and had long wait times. I chose dotcom and never regretted it. Would choose it again if I was starting out.
mishap
Common Wiggler

Post by mishap »

Oh Joy! Our own section!

I wanted to build a modular system from the first time I stumbled into electronic music in the early 70's. Then some off the albums showed pictures of the monster analog modular synths and I was really hooked. I remember drooling over the original PAiA modules while in school and had no money to buy them.

Finally, in June 2004, I got the funds and found the rather new Company, Synthesizers.com!
I paid for a QSR24 system with some modifications:
Remove the Q118, Q138, and QDH20
Add 3xQ106CRS (Yeah, back when the calibrated range switch was an option!), Q141, Q161, QDH40 (yes, I planned on growing my new toy!), QCR8, and Q162.

Here's a Wayback Machine link to the QSR24 as sold at the time: https://web.archive.org/web/20040617145 ... qsr24.html

I still have all of those modules, as well as more. They all still work perfectly (except for needing a little DeoxIT love on the connectors which will, eventually, suffer from the poor air quality here in Los Angeles).

I'm now up to 46 DotCom modules (including a Q960!), 1 home made mult in a DotCom 1U blank, 5 MOTM modules, and 8 Frac modules.
Plus another 4 modules now on order.

Long live Synthesizers.com! :yay: :yay:
tonescience
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tonescience »

Also, can we talk about how power-efficient these designs are? It's kind of wild how little power Roger's designs use vs. similar modules from other manufactures.
"I am certainly not racist; I even like the British." - Giorgio Moroder
mishap
Common Wiggler

Post by mishap »

Now I've got more DotCom to love. My Q119A came in today and is now mounted in the section of my rack for such things. My only regret about DotCom is that I've run low on funds and almost completely out of space! I'm doing a reorg of the rest of the rack and will post pics when it's done and my other recent purchases are mounted. I'll hint that a couple of custom Box-1s (shipped without the power harness or connectors) will help make a little space for me. Customer support was super to work on the Box-1 mods!
Attachments
Q119A at home in the sequencer section of my rack
Q119A at home in the sequencer section of my rack
spinach_pizza
knobs . . . knobs . . . KNOBS!

Post by spinach_pizza »

fac wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:47 pm Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Modular-land is crazy these days, but 20 years ago there weren't many options. If you wanted ready-made modules and didn't want to spend a fortune, it was either dotcom or Doepfer. For DIYers there was also MOTM and frac-rack. There was also Wiard (300 series), which really interested me, but they were expensive and had long wait times. I chose dotcom and never regretted it. Would choose it again if I was starting out.
This describes my exact thinking in 2007...

And yeah, I'd choose it again too.
Patcher Jack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Patcher Jack »

mishap wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:47 pm Now I've got more DotCom to love. My Q119A came in today and is now mounted in the section of my rack for such things. ….Customer support was super to work on the Box-1 mods!
Looks awesome mishap! Thanks for the continued support.
Patcher Jack
"Please patch irresponsibly"
info@synthesizers.com
Patcher Jack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Patcher Jack »

spinach_pizza wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:15 pm
fac wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:47 pm Yes, yes, yes and yes.

This describes my exact thinking in 2007...

And yeah, I'd choose it again too.

Aw shucks y’all….we’d choose you too.
Patcher Jack
"Please patch irresponsibly"
info@synthesizers.com

Return to “Synthesizers.com”