OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

OXI ONE performative sequencer brought to you by
two partners: Manuel -engineer & project manager and Ales -marketing & administration.
whyfarer
Veteran Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by whyfarer »

No official manual yet, but a user wrote up a post on their discoveries in this thread: https://oxiinstruments.com/forum/d/581-matriceal-mode
thisoldmike
Common Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by thisoldmike »

Ah, sweet! I searched the Oxi forum but somehow missed that. Cheers!
Jopy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jopy »

It's very impressive to see how quickly the Oxi One is progressing. I just received mine about two weeks ago and already there are major upgrades to sequencing potential! The matriceal sequencers are amazing. I especially like running them with different length sequences for pitch and gate (for example). Muting and unmuting the four grids as the sequence is running is almost dizzying in the number of possibilities.

Having said all that, I feel rather guilty in proposing a next step in developing this, but...Am I correct in thinking that there's not yet a way to make movement along the X and Y axes go at different rates? It's probably not hard to figure out which cartesian sequencer I'm thinking this might emulate. If that could be added, it would be next level stunning.

Even if that's not possible or feasible, this is an interesting new direction.*

*Apologies for the pun, I'm a dad and have great difficulty keeping bad humor in check.
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

Jopy wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:42 pm It's very impressive to see how quickly the Oxi One is progressing. I just received mine about two weeks ago and already there are major upgrades to sequencing potential! The matriceal sequencers are amazing. I especially like running them with different length sequences for pitch and gate (for example). Muting and unmuting the four grids as the sequence is running is almost dizzying in the number of possibilities.

Having said all that, I feel rather guilty in proposing a next step in developing this, but...Am I correct in thinking that there's not yet a way to make movement along the X and Y axes go at different rates? It's probably not hard to figure out which cartesian sequencer I'm thinking this might emulate. If that could be added, it would be next level stunning.

Even if that's not possible or feasible, this is an interesting new direction.*

*Apologies for the pun, I'm a dad and have great difficulty keeping bad humor in check.
It's not cartesian in that aspect. You have the same playback directions and time divisions that the other sequencer modes (at least for now).
I think the options are plenty specially having independent INIT and END step per parameter too.
Jopy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jopy »

CarlosUnch wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:23 am It's not cartesian in that aspect. You have the same playback directions and time divisions that the other sequencer modes (at least for now).
I think the options are plenty specially having independent INIT and END step per parameter too.
Thanks for responding. I agree that there's already a ton of options in matriceal mode; I've barely scratched the surface of what's possible with the various init/end steps per parameter, and moving across the four sequences could do some of those time divisions as well.
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

Jopy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:13 am
CarlosUnch wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:23 am It's not cartesian in that aspect. You have the same playback directions and time divisions that the other sequencer modes (at least for now).
Thanks for responding. I agree that there's already a ton of options in matriceal mode; I've barely scratched the surface of what's possible with the various init/end steps per parameter, and moving across the four sequences could do some of those time divisions as well.
The focus was more on bringing more independent parameters (9 in total), each parameter with independent time div, INIT END and playback direction. Agree that playback direction with snakey patterns looks like an obvious addition though ;)
tigersi
Common Wiggler

Post by tigersi »

whyfarer wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:19 am No official manual yet, but a user wrote up a post on their discoveries in this thread: https://oxiinstruments.com/forum/d/581-matriceal-mode
Thank you for this, I have had mine for a bit now but have hardly scratched the surface, I need videos or idiot guides to things to understand :hyper: :help:
Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.

We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents.
alerion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by alerion »

DigitalNativeDunce
Common Wiggler

Post by DigitalNativeDunce »

Really digging this thing a lot, just experimenting with some volcas to get the hang of the workflow - gotta set the studio space up properly and go a bit deeper. Feels faster to work on than my Pyramid, which might still have its uses (love the MIDI processing stuff) but I think having the pad grid and a nice sharp OLED is the best way to both represent this sort of thing visually and offer enough hands-on control.

As soon as I realised that stochastic mode is like a more controllable Turing Machine, I was pretty sold on it!

Feels really sturdy, too. Metal case, chunky encoders, ports are solid, USB-C connection.
DaytimeBender
Common Wiggler

Post by DaytimeBender »

Thinking about buying an Oxi One, but I have a question about how the chord mode works.

Can I set up a 3 note chord, and have each note of the chord setup on an individual CV out? As an example, I have 3 Plaits modules in my eurorack. I'd like to use all 3 combined as a polyphonic voice. So I'd like to be able to set 3 of Oxi's CV outs to go into each of Plait's v/oct so I can play chords on Plaits. Can the CV outs be set up like this?
My Beeps & Boops: Hadewig
DigitalNativeDunce
Common Wiggler

I've not tried it because I don't have enough modular to want to, but it sure looks like it - check pages 32-34 of the manual on the site. You use the pad grid as a routing matrix and can then do stuff like pick the voices of each sequencer, if it's in one of the polyphonic modes.
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

DaytimeBender wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:13 pm Thinking about buying an Oxi One, but I have a question about how the chord mode works.

Can I set up a 3 note chord, and have each note of the chord setup on an individual CV out? As an example, I have 3 Plaits modules in my eurorack. I'd like to use all 3 combined as a polyphonic voice. So I'd like to be able to set 3 of Oxi's CV outs to go into each of Plait's v/oct so I can play chords on Plaits. Can the CV outs be set up like this?
Yes, totally. You can select voice number for each CV, additionally in poly it can also rotate the stack of voices ala round robin, I think, so there are no voices left out.
DigitalNativeDunce
Common Wiggler

Finalised firmware 3.0 is out and is, predictably, really good. Matriceal mode is wicked - such an inventive way to tease out 16 steps. (Going to have to put some time into the Interval layer though, I don't think I understand it!)
bmot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bmot »

the Oxi has really reached a level of maturity and power I haven't seen in other sequencers i've used. It's simply remarkable in the level of thought that's gone into the features and design. If you are interested in sequencers i strongly urge you to take a close look at this wonderful device.
ronnieb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ronnieb »

bmot wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:35 am the Oxi has really reached a level of maturity and power I haven't seen in other sequencers i've used. It's simply remarkable in the level of thought that's gone into the features and design. If you are interested in sequencers i strongly urge you to take a close look at this wonderful device.
Agreed. I was a very early adopter and to see how far this thing has come is incredible. I’ve never seen a (essentially one man) company listen so attentively to users feedback. Oxi has completely relinquished all of my sequencer GAS apart one… another Oxi One!
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

ronnieb wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:56 am
bmot wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:35 am the Oxi has really reached a level of maturity and power I haven't seen in other sequencers i've used. It's simply remarkable in the level of thought that's gone into the features and design. If you are interested in sequencers i strongly urge you to take a close look at this wonderful device.
Agreed. I was a very early adopter and to see how far this thing has come is incredible. I’ve never seen a (essentially one man) company listen so attentively to users feedback. Oxi has completely relinquished all of my sequencer GAS apart one… another Oxi One!
lol. Oxi.... Two? a twice as wide buggeriboo that either shows twice as many steps for 4 tracks or does 8 tracks simultaneously?

i love mines. my first grab for awhile now has been Polyend Play to sketch out drum ideas, One for melodic jabbings.

been in transition, still putting my yarea together where we just moved to, been ITCHING to try out FW v3.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
Jopy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jopy »

More praise: I've been working with a variety of humanization options on the Oxi over the past couple of weeks, like lagging some sequences relative to others by micro-timing (this I think is new to V3), differential per-step probability, and separating the sequence length for triggers vs. melodies. I've never worked with another sequencer that makes this all so easy; Oxi can swing pretty hard, which is very rare in modular!
chupanebre
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chupanebre »

So stoked with v3.0 Firmware so far. The refining of this lil powerhouse just keeps getting better and better! The ability to fire multiple clips at the same time manually is what I was hoping for and lo and behold! Looking forward to trying out the new sequencer mode!!! :sb:
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

chupanebre wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:10 pm So stoked with v3.0 Firmware so far. The refining of this lil powerhouse just keeps getting better and better! The ability to fire multiple clips at the same time manually is what I was hoping for and lo and behold! Looking forward to trying out the new sequencer mode!!! :sb:
"lil powerhouse"...did you really just say that? I suppose that I prefer that to "beast".Thanks.
snailed
Common Wiggler

Post by snailed »

any possibility of getting the Oxi Pipe on Modulargrid?
davide3737
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davide3737 »

Oxi Instruments are teasing a new module, Oxi Coral, in this latest video for v3 of the firmware:

They're keeping tight lipped about its specs, although evidently it has MIDI In and stereo output; possibly a multi-timbral wavetable module?
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-11-29 143645.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-29 143645.jpg (24.34 KiB) Viewed 182 times
bmot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bmot »

snailed wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:22 am any possibility of getting the Oxi Pipe on Modulargrid?
it's been there for a while: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-oxi-pipe
bmot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bmot »

davide3737 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:45 am Oxi Instruments are teasing a new module, Oxi Coral, in this latest video for v3 of the firmware:
here's a clearer view of the module:
davide3737
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davide3737 »

bmot wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:30 am
davide3737 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:45 am Oxi Instruments are teasing a new module, Oxi Coral, in this latest video for v3 of the firmware:
here's a clearer view of the module:
Interesting. Could be similar to Knobula's Poly Cinematic module.
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

It doesn't need to be polyphonic but if it is WOW.

Return to “OXI Instruments”