Powering multiple 12V instruments

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.
quiet_crisps
Common Wiggler

Powering multiple 12V instruments

Post by quiet_crisps »

I’m on a worthy quest to reduce the amount of cables to use, and so I’d like to know if it’s possible to power my COfilter, BB 2-Frame, Cocoquantus and Plumbutter from the 3A adapter?

If so, can I use any kind of daisy-chain wire (like the ones for guitar pedals) or are there ones specifically for centre positive adapters?

If all four are powered by the same source does that mean they do not need to be grounded to one another?

Thanks all!
soup
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Powering multiple 12V instruments

Post by soup »

Yes, you can use y cables if they are the correct (2.1mm) barrel size, the cables don't know the polarity. I doubt 3A would be sufficient for all those devices but you'll likely find that y cables don't reach very far so a couple power supplies and a couple y cables might be more realistic. You will probably still need 0V cables, the 12V from the wall warts is not powering your devices but rather their power supplies.
quiet_crisps
Common Wiggler

Post by quiet_crisps »

soup wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:21 am Yes, you can use y cables if they are the correct (2.1mm) barrel size, the cables don't know the polarity. I doubt 3A would be sufficient for all those devices but you'll likely find that y cables don't reach very far so a couple power supplies and a couple y cables might be more realistic.
Thanks for confirming! Yeah 3A may be pushing it I’d imagine. Good to know that any barrel cable will work.
soup wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:21 am You will probably still need 0V cables, the 12V from the wall warts is not powering your devices but rather their power supplies.
I’m not sure what you mean here. If all the instruments were connected via the same cable are they not all grounded together?
soup
Ultra Wiggler

Post by soup »

Ground can mean several things, not necessarily 0V and if the power supply is isolated ground on a DC plug will not be the same as 0V. It is the 0V reference that needs to be shared between banana devices for them to understand one another.
quiet_crisps
Common Wiggler

Post by quiet_crisps »

Okay, I think I understand now. Thanks again!
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

Yup, Soup got it, especially on the 0V connections.
The 2Frame requires 3A alone (usually supplied with a 3.5A power brick) - that'd be enough to power the COF too (requires 0.3A)
Not sure about the Cocq & Plumb - I *think* they're also 12V centre +ve, but unsure of the power draw.
Note also that you can get Y mains IEC leads - I use them to power two bricks when needed.
northerntao
Wiggling with Experience

Post by northerntao »

I’ve powered a 3Frame and CL PB2 from a 3.5A brick - same 12V power / polarity.
quiet_crisps
Common Wiggler

Post by quiet_crisps »

northerntao wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:22 am I’ve powered a 3Frame and CL PB2 from a 3.5A brick - same 12V power / polarity.
Cheers, that’s good to know. I wonder what happens if there’s too much power draw? Would the instrument act up, or are there more grave consequences such as a very hot brick?
northerntao
Wiggling with Experience

Post by northerntao »

quiet_crisps wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:23 pm Cheers, that’s good to know. I wonder what happens if there’s too much power draw? Would the instrument act up, or are there more grave consequences such as a very hot brick?
I don’t think you have to worry about grave consequences. Probably the biggest concern is whether all the modules will start up or function correctly when they do - depending on the capacitive draw when they all power on, the brick may not have enough juice.

I haven’t had a problem with heat, and it may just be the combo of modules I have. YMMV.

Return to “BugBrand Devices”