General noise discussion (releases, shows, techniques)

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

sparood
Veteran Wiggler

General noise discussion (releases, shows, techniques)

Post by sparood »

In stead of investing time and energy to discuss the credibility of noise (which has already been discussed a million times over, we already know most people don't like it, you are not original) what's better than to discuss noise releases, new & old tapes/CDs/LPs, noise shows you've played or seen and techniques you are are using for your own noise?

So here is a general topic to discuss all things noise!

Discuss!
sparood
Veteran Wiggler

Re: General noise discussion (releases, shows, techniques)

Post by sparood »

Also I'm going to be lazy as fuck and quote some releases from other people's posts. Sorry not sorry.
carbonhazard wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:59 am i love noise, and listen to a lot of meat & potatoes stuff but it's just as genrefied as any style of music. if we're comparing, noise is like punk. now and then a new style or sound emerges that sounds fresh, but 99% of it is derivative and purposefully so. rare are the artists who have an actually distinctive style, because innovation in noise is irrelevant. in noise, the intention & purpose is as or more important as the sound itself. noise is all about physical media, the packaging, the meaning & intent of the piece. there are awesome releases of unprocessed field recordings of a car left running on the side of the road, of extremely processed field recordings that you honestly cannot tell what they are supposed to be unless you have the physical release that explains the purpose.

like here's one of my favourite releases from last year, prurient & richard ramirez who have both been doing noise for decades. it's not unique in any way except maybe level of execution. there's tons of projects and releases that sound very similar, ranging from the 80s to, well, last year.

Excellent release, no frills, normal mans noise without the usual Hospital bombast which is a good thing!
Pyrrhix wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:23 pm Anyway, getting this discussion back to noise, are any of you familiar with Himukalt? I love how dynamic her work is. The subdued moments make the bursts of intensity stand out in a way that I love. The vocal processing is also particularly interesting and central to her aesthetic. Probably my favorite current noise artist, and I don't think her work is discussed nearly enough for how great it is.

I really like the music and production but unfortunately I can't listen to it because of the processed, oscillating vocals. I hate it and I hate that I hate it, because for the rest it's very good. I also can't listen to Genocide Organ without getting pissed off about the vocals so it's not unique to Himukalt only.
bibleblack
Common Wiggler

Post by bibleblack »

One of my favourite labels at the moment is Foul Prey. Its really worth checking out the Crawl of Time release Sins of the Father, Live Wire - Catharsis 313 and Andrew Grant - Scrap.

WarpHead
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WarpHead »

I had to bow out of listening to a lot of noise, especially live. It kills my ears and triggers quite painful spasms of my inner ear muscles.

I'm as punk as can be, but the treble is just insane in most modern releases.
Don't believe the hype.
Atrociter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Atrociter »

WarpHead wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:54 pm I had to bow out of listening to a lot of noise, especially live. It kills my ears and triggers quite painful spasms of my inner ear muscles.

I'm as punk as can be, but the treble is just insane in most modern releases.
Is it to punk to wear Ear Protection ???
s.pwyll
Common Wiggler

Post by s.pwyll »

"Punk" = "do what you want"
If wearing ear protection lets you do what you want, wearing ear protection is punk--IMO.
Pyrrhix
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pyrrhix »

Yeah, worrying what other people think of your earplugs is about the least punk thing ever.
sparood wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:47 pm I really like the music and production but unfortunately I can't listen to it because of the processed, oscillating vocals. I hate it and I hate that I hate it, because for the rest it's very good. I also can't listen to Genocide Organ without getting pissed off about the vocals so it's not unique to Himukalt only.
That's unfortunate, but I get it. It's a strong flavor if you're not into it.

I'd like to share another of my favorite noise releases. It's mellower than most. I love how warped and unidentifiable (at least for me) many of the sounds are. Has a distinct and strange mood to it.

De gustibus non est disputandum
https://bodytenant.bandcamp.com
VM
Common Wiggler

Post by VM »

Couple of Prurient shows coming up in Moscow and St. Petersberg. Dom apparently hates playing in familiar places to familiar people, so eastern europe and Russia get all the gigs. Would kill to be able to catch them.

Re: techniques - i've really been enjoying processing CB mic feedback through modular and guitar pedals, and am constantly surprised at the variety of tones and timbres you can get from feedback as the only sound source. Typically I've been going CB mic ->Lyra8 FX -> Monsoon -> [Pedalboard] drive -> Fairfield Shallow Water -> Keely mod workstation (phaser and tremolo) -> Chase bliss mood -> back to interface. I recently did a 10 minute drone track just moving the mic between the main cone and the tweeter of my HS7 monitor, creating a two-tone 'melody' of harsh, thick smog of toxic noise. Will be in a forthcoming split w/ The Night Porter.

Regarding releases, still really enjoying the Jumping Tiger demo.

I want Ethan from Primitive Man to put out a noise EP.
Filthambient / Powerelectronics from Australia ---> Vile Masque
funeralcake
Veteran Wiggler

Post by funeralcake »

I bought a completely garbage electric violin late last year as research/preparation for a future concept album project. First time using a violin or bow of any description. I'm having more fun finding things to bow other than the crapolin, even just making discordant drones and and screeches with a regular electric guitar and lap steel.

I've wanted to make a daxophone for several years now, but I've never been able to find suitable materials for tongues, let alone the means to even make a dax just lying around the house... Tried bowing a blank panel earlier today. Results were underwhelming.

Somewhat related, I've also thought about trying to design a euro-format dax tongue-mounting panel with built-in preamp and all the proper connections for 1/4 and 3.5mm outputs (switchable between euro/line level, or else with individual preamp circuits wired to each) and a built-in envelope generator with corresponding 3.5mm output mounted into a miniature wooden box with its own external power supply input. The appeal of using a euro-format panel and box mainly has to do with the size and ease of integration, but users could theoretically mount it in a rack if they wanted to. I think the main benefit of case mounting it would be having it anchored to something relatively weighty, but beyond that, it just seems kind of stupid.

Anyway, somebody do this, pls.
"muff" is not a four-letter word.
Atrociter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Atrociter »

s.pwyll wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:05 pm "Punk" = "do what you want"
If wearing ear protection lets you do what you want, wearing ear protection is punk--IMO.
haha no, im asking if your too punk to wear ear protection. Its an easy solution to avoid hearing loss/tinnitus and seeing shows you want even if its noise.
funeralcake
Veteran Wiggler

Post by funeralcake »

I know I'm screwing myself in the long term, but I want it to hurt. I want to smoosh my face into the monitors. I want it to make me its bitch.
"muff" is not a four-letter word.
Atrociter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Atrociter »

funeralcake wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:50 pm I know I'm screwing myself in the long term, but I want it to hurt. I want to smoosh my face into the monitors. I want it to make me its bitch.
ok well extreme tinnitus sucks.. and short term exhilaration imo isn't worth the long term suffering. so protect your ears.
Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Infinity Curve »

I'll just leave this here, on the harsh noise tip

https://sincode1101001.bandcamp.com/
fosferus
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fosferus »

i was pleasantly surprised how noisy the hertz donut can be, and more to the point, how controllable the squall can be via hardsync. maybe a bit obvious technique for some, but this was my first real effort in using sync in a destructive manner. of course the stupid tracking mode helps keep things interesting. skip to like 3:30 for the bees knees.

Pyrrhix
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pyrrhix »

I wanted to share a simple Eurorack patch that is fertile for noise explorations:

Tools:
-2 self-oscillating filters
-Multiple
-Mixer or crossfader
-Distortion

Procedure:
-Set both filters to self-oscillate.
-Filter 1 output to multiple input 1. Multiple output (from filter 1) to filter 2 FM input. Other multiple output (from filter 1) to mixer or crossfader.
-Filter 2 output to multiple input 2. Multiple output (from filter 2) to filter 1 FM input. Other multiple output (from filter 2) to mixer or crossfader.
-Mixer or crossfader output to distortion (high gain or a couple distortions in series to square up the signal).
-Wiggle cutoff and FM depth on both filters. Mix or crossfade between the two filter outputs.

Result:

Notes:
-If you try this, you should post your results. I'd be curious to hear the differing results from different filter combinations. My example uses an Erica Polivoks filter and a Doepfer A-105. Surely your trained ears recognize the classic tone of that SSM2044.
-You can obviously do the same patch with oscillators, but I have tried this with two sets of oscillators and two sets of filters. The result from the filters in both cases was much more unstable and violent. YMMV.
De gustibus non est disputandum
https://bodytenant.bandcamp.com
fosferus
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fosferus »

i did a simpler variation of this a while back, without the crossfade and distortion. if i recall correctly i was using ripples and 3 sisters. there were lots of interesting little nooks and crannies when finding sympathetic harmonics in the different peaks of 3 sisters when fming it with ripples. will give your example a shot and report back when i get around to finalizing the current patch.
sparood
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sparood »

Pyrrhix wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:27 pm
Result:

Fucking donuts mate, sick sounds! :sb:
oljud
DOG

Post by oljud »

VM wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:55 pm
I want Ethan from Primitive Man to put out a noise EP.
he is https://manyblessings.bandcamp.com/.
timdrage
Common Wiggler

Post by timdrage »

One of my most recent-ish albums (couple of years back now), mostly recorded using Eurorack except track 2

https://cementimental.bandcamp.com - Noise
https://isntses.co.uk - spacenoise & esoteric synth design
https://disgustingcathedral.bandcamp.com - Dungeon Noise
The Fort Processor & Chernobylizer - experimental noise synths by Isn'tses
thelowerrhythm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm »

A release from several years ago that I consider noise on some level (I also consider it minimalism and drone on some level, which is its own conversation we don't need to have). I designed a software synthesizer that would produce extremely busy soundscapes of semi-generative chaos as part of an MFA research project into my insomnia and the backwards ass methods that helped it. This record was really just an example of a collection of audio from the software, which I would tune up differently before bed each night.

I grew out of the phase where this helped me get to sleep, but my interest in noise in general is the same. It's all about occupation of spacetime. Eating up all of the emptiness so I don't fill it with nasty things.

"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."

Return to “Synth Noise”