Using two HammerPWR in the same case

Eurorack and so much more from Slovakia.
onefoursix
Learning to Wiggle

Using two HammerPWR in the same case

Post by onefoursix »

Hello! I'm going to add a second HammerPWR to my case (the first one is working great but I'm at > 70% of current usage on the -12V rail and want to give my system more headroom). Both PSU power bricks will be plugged into the same AC power strip and all bus boards will connect directly to the 4 outputs on the pair of PSUs (no daisy chaining). I was thinking to avoid ground loops I should connect both HammerPWR's output grounds together and use that point for star grounding . Any reason not to
do that? Thank you in advance for any feedback or guidance!
mnchrme
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Using two HammerPWR in the same case

Post by mnchrme »

onefoursix wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:39 pm Hello! I'm going to add a second HammerPWR to my case (the first one is working great but I'm at > 70% of current usage on the -12V rail and want to give my system more headroom). Both PSU power bricks will be plugged into the same AC power strip and all bus boards will connect directly to the 4 outputs on the pair of PSUs (no daisy chaining). I was thinking to avoid ground loops I should connect both HammerPWR's output grounds together and use that point for star grounding . Any reason not to
do that? Thank you in advance for any feedback or guidance!
Hey man. You have a good idea and it will work. Once we get back to the lab I’ll send you photo of the wiring. :-)
onefoursix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by onefoursix »

Thank you for confirming that! I just wired up the second PSU, tied the output grounds together, and everything works great!
mnchrme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mnchrme »

onefoursix wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:46 am Thank you for confirming that! I just wired up the second PSU, tied the output grounds together, and everything works great!
Glad to hear that. I’ll post a photo once we get to it. Busy weeks. :-).

How is noise in your system now? Got any interferences going on in the euro chain?
onefoursix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by onefoursix »

No noise at all, even when patching across modules on different PSUs. Now I really have power to spare! :-)
mnchrme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mnchrme »

onefoursix wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:37 pm No noise at all, even when patching across modules on different PSUs. Now I really have power to spare! :-)
Happy to hear that. Have fun jamming! :-)
pabatak
Common Wiggler

Post by pabatak »

Damn I wish I had seen this thread before (somewhat permanently) closing my custom case with HammerPWR and BoardPWR... The power boards themselves are unreachable now, but I guess I could use the connectors on bus boards to bridge both grounds 🤔
FS: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2061754
FS: Intellijel 7U Performance Case 104HP silver with gig bag
atomd
Common Wiggler

Post by atomd »

You can escape ground loops in eurorack really as every cable is connecting grounds between modules.

Also best way to measure noise level is to use few poorly designed saturation modules (think of most filters hitting power rails, distortions...)

Return to “Konstant Lab”