Announcing: Synthesizers.com Manufacturer Sub-Forum

Please check out the new sub-forum by following the link above. It is nice to have another manufacturer onboard and opening another direct communication line to potential and existing customers

If you had 5 hours to learn and record a Ciat-Lonbarde instrument, what would you pick and how would you prepare?

home of post-70s electronics
el90
Learning to Wiggle

If you had 5 hours to learn and record a Ciat-Lonbarde instrument, what would you pick and how would you prepare?

Post by el90 »

I'll be visiting Patch Point in Berlin for a day next week. I have no prior experience of Ciat-Lonbarde but will have the opportunity to experiment with a range of Ciat-Lonbarde instruments (and hopefully record) for half a day or so. What would you recommend trying, and any tips for how to go about preparing? E.g. manual reading, useful youtube tutorials, any other sources? Is it realistic to think I'll be able to get some interesting source material out of the session, or do these instruments require more time to learn before you can get nice results? Interested and grateful to hear any suggestions or opinions :)
This and more on soundcloud:
VirginiaKeith
Common Wiggler

Re: If you had 5 hours to learn and record a Ciat-Lonbarde instrument, what would you pick and how would you prepare?

Post by VirginiaKeith »

Honestly, Plumbutter. I think it has the widest range of voices and you’d be able to get a lot of material within 5 hours. Patch Browns to greens, patch oranges to purple or blues, utilize the mixer section to get isolated sounds. Check out the modwiggler PB patch sharing thread. Have fun!
:mmm:
cnkn
Common Wiggler

Re: If you had 5 hours to learn and record a Ciat-Lonbarde instrument, what would you pick and how would you prepare?

Post by cnkn »

If you want to get a fast result, then a looper that you know + Sidrax + Tetrax or an oval synth. You should spend more time to get interesting sounds from PB or Coco. Even though instruments like Sidrax are not that interesting like PB, they're very fun, have very fast workflow and seriously broad sound palette. Not CL but an IFM rack would be pretty fun as well.

Or check the youtube channel of triangle, take some notes and use whatever you want: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC7xcd6R2DJdWt6OudADTFVg

Have fun!
el90
Learning to Wiggle

Re: If you had 5 hours to learn and record a Ciat-Lonbarde instrument, what would you pick? *now with recordings*

Post by el90 »

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. As luck would have it I ended up spending this afternoon with the Cocoquantus. It was great fun. I found it fascinating how the character and 'dirt' of the delays blurs the line between acoustic sounds recorded through the external input (on the one hand) and the internal oscillators (on the other).

Here are a couple of extracts based on the same patch. One channel is playing a looped delay of a thumb piano recorded through the external input, the other channel is playing a modulated delay of one of the internal oscillators (which ends up sounding like a soloistic drum part to me). I've done some light processing (mainly panning, EQ and a little Echoboy on the thumb piano channel) but no rearrangement of the audio. I may make one or both of these into a song (probably with some added saxophone improvisation) but wanted to post these while still fresh and new. (Each extract remains fairly static throughout, but I like the natural variations in the second channel which sound like evolving drum fills)

quiet_crisps
Learning to Wiggle

Re: If you had 5 hours to learn and record a Ciat-Lonbarde instrument, what would you pick? *now with recordings*

Post by quiet_crisps »

Nice! Yeah I love my Cocoquantus. I also have a Plumbutter but if I was to choose between the two I’d keep my CQ. Used together they are a force of infinite depth, so I’d definitely recommend patching them together if you get an opportunity to do so at Patch Point. All you really need to know is “hot” colours (red, white, orange, etc.) are outputs and “cold” colours (blue, green, etc.) are inputs. The enjoyment is discovering it all yourself. Enjoy!

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”