Best polyphonic MIDI->CV module?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

exxingschlap
Learning to Wiggle

Best polyphonic MIDI->CV module?

Post by exxingschlap »

Hoping for 4 gate and 4 pitch cv outs, from 1 midi in. I see there are at least a few options.

Leaning towards Yarns, but it looks to be discontinued, and it takes up a fair amount of HP. Also does more than some though…
linty
Common Wiggler

Re: Best polyphonic MIDI->CV module?

Post by linty »

Have you looked at Befaco CV Thing?
https://www.befaco.org/midi-thing/
Last edited by linty on Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio »

exxingschlap wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:08 am Hoping for 4 gate and 4 pitch cv outs, from 1 midi in. I see there are at least a few options.

Leaning towards Yarns, but it looks to be discontinued, and it takes up a fair amount of HP. Also does more than some though…
I don't think Yarns is an HP hog at 12HP, certainly not when you look at everything it can do. But yes, it has been discontinued. According to Reverb, used prices seem to average around 200 GBP.
Sysagent
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sysagent »

Note: Yarns is not truly polyphonic (i.e. for Chords n the like), I have one you see and it has limitations, BIG limitations. You should be looking to something like the Polyend Poly 2 MIDI-to-CV or the like...
"The Most Annoying Man In The World..."
exxingschlap
Learning to Wiggle

Post by exxingschlap »

edit: Nope, CV Thing is the inverse of what I need.
Last edited by exxingschlap on Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
snailed
Common Wiggler

Post by snailed »

Expert Sleepers FH-2 is my fave
exxingschlap
Learning to Wiggle

Post by exxingschlap »

FH-2 looks great, thank you
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio »

Sysagent wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:29 am Note: Yarns is not truly polyphonic (i.e. for Chords n the like), I have one you see and it has limitations, BIG limitations. You should be looking to something like the Polyend Poly 2 MIDI-to-CV or the like...
I think Yarns can be configured as truly polyphonic. These extracts are from the Yarns manual:

"The 2 and 4-voice modes are available both in a “polyphonic” and “multitimbral” flavour. The former receives chords from one single MIDI channel and dispatches them to the voices."

And later:

"Various note priority modes (low, high, last) and polyphonic allocation schemes (voice-stealing, random, cyclic) allows you to fine-tune the CV/Gate conversion to your playing style."

The different polyphonic 'note-despatching' modes confirm that. I also have Yarns, though I confess I have not used it's polyphonic mode. I will try that later.
unitard
Common Wiggler

Post by unitard »

exxingschlap wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:32 am edit: Nope, CV Thing is the inverse of what I need.
Befaco MIDI Thing supports four-note polyphony.
Nez
Common Wiggler

Post by Nez »

doepfer a-190-5 poly
Sysagent
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sysagent »

Blairio wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:47 am
Sysagent wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:29 am Note: Yarns is not truly polyphonic (i.e. for Chords n the like), I have one you see and it has limitations, BIG limitations. You should be looking to something like the Polyend Poly 2 MIDI-to-CV or the like...
I think Yarns can be configured as truly polyphonic. These extracts are from the Yarns manual:

"The 2 and 4-voice modes are available both in a “polyphonic” and “multitimbral” flavour. The former receives chords from one single MIDI channel and dispatches them to the voices."

And later:

"Various note priority modes (low, high, last) and polyphonic allocation schemes (voice-stealing, random, cyclic) allows you to fine-tune the CV/Gate conversion to your playing style."

The different polyphonic 'note-despatching' modes confirm that. I also have Yarns, though I confess I have not used it's polyphonic mode. I will try that later.

It's the priority modes that screw things up for proper, true polyphony, I have never got it to work as per a proper polyphonic synth would but, I would be interested to see what your findings are.

With regards to the Expert Sleeper FH-2, I have the Expert Sleepers ES-3 here and I just can't gel with the quality of the jack sockets they use, or the rigmarole of VCO tuning with their plugin. Admittedly I can get a better tuning process with CV Tools in Ableton, but not everyone has that to hand, and therefore have to go down the perilous route of Silent Way and all its "nuances".

Note: my ES-3 has a habit of not matching the outputs to what I have configured in Ableton and also, it sometimes it needs a power off and on again to actually make it start outputting things from the source....
kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan »

Blairio wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:47 am

And later:

I’ve had Yarns for years now, and it is polyphonic. As noted, you can choose from several different allocations. You can even chain two of them together via midi for eight note chords.

It worked fine for me, but I sequenced through Ableton. I never tried a keyboard. Also some of the voicing schemes work better than others. I’ve since ditched my poly setup for a desktop synth.

I’ll also add that there are different firmware versions, and voicing schemes were added.

Endorphin.es Shuttle Control is another option. Vermona and Hexinverter Mutant Brain also make poly midi to CV converters. The Vermona is big but supports velocity. The Shuttle Control may also support velocity. I don’t know much about it.

There is also the cv.ocd standalone box. The Mutant Brain uses the same software.
Last edited by kwaidan on Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raindeer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Raindeer »

exxingschlap wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:08 am Hoping for 4 gate and 4 pitch cv outs, from 1 midi in. I see there are at least a few options.

I’ve been using Befaco MIDI Thing and it works great - only 6hp. One positive aspect is easy switching of modes to polyphonic, quad-monophonic and different note priorities etc.
linty
Common Wiggler

Post by linty »

linty wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:10 am Have you looked at Befaco CV Thing?
https://www.befaco.org/midi-thing/
Mental typo, I meant to say Befaco Midi thing. It sounds a lot like what you're looking for and is very compact.
synthbenji
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synthbenji »

Squarp Hermod
8cv-gate

and more....
Last edited by synthbenji on Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tokidoki
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tokidoki »

Last edited by tokidoki on Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sysagent
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sysagent »

tokidoki wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:52 pm We have tested many. One of the best : https://www.modulargrid.net/e/flame-%C2%B5qmcv

http://www.flame-instruments.de/flame2/ ... .html#qmcv
“We”?
tokidoki
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tokidoki »

Sysagent wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:05 pm
tokidoki wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:52 pm We have tested many. One of the best : https://www.modulargrid.net/e/flame-%C2%B5qmcv

http://www.flame-instruments.de/flame2/ ... .html#qmcv
“We”?
It's all in the picture.
exxingschlap
Learning to Wiggle

Post by exxingschlap »

Sorry, forgot to mention, velocity is also a must.

4-voice polyphony with velocity, in other words, from MIDI to an array of CV.

Flame’s offering looks good..
SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage »

I have not used it in a while (so I cannot remember all the included features) but I never needed to look at any other (usually less featured) Midi/CV solution since 4+ years ago I bought one of these
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-muc-810

They also do DIY Kits, a standalone version...
Check its features/manual to make sure it does what you need

I did use it in one of my videos when I was reviewing a full AJH Synths MiniMod system with 3 VCOs, and I could set (on the MUC 810) note priority etc...
I think I started using it from this point in the video (timed link below) to play chords/paraphonic patch on the 3 voices mini-mod.
Michael
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Michael »

I had no idea this existed. Looks interesting. I’m looking for 8-voice polyphony with v/oct, gate and velocity for each voice. It seems like this might work (ES FH-2 and Intellijel are the others I’m looking into). I don’t know anything about this manufacturer but it could be an option for me. I wish they had an English version of the manual to read. Thanks for posting this.
SonicVoltage wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:59 am I have not used it in a while (so I cannot remember all the included features) but I never needed to look at any other (usually less featured) Midi/CV solution since 4+ years ago I bought one of these
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-muc-810

They also do DIY Kits, a standalone version...
Check its features/manual to make sure it does what you need

I did use it in one of my videos when I was reviewing a full AJH Synths MiniMod system with 3 VCOs, and I could set (on the MUC 810) note priority etc...
I think I started using it from this point in the video (timed link below) to play chords/paraphonic patch on the 3 voices mini-mod.
Last edited by Michael on Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffmhopkins
Common Wiggler

Post by Jeffmhopkins »

Another vote for the FH-2 + CV expander. Amazing.
tokidoki
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tokidoki »

exxingschlap wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:26 am Sorry, forgot to mention, velocity is also a must.

4-voice polyphony with velocity, in other words, from MIDI to an array of CV.

Flame’s offering looks good..
If you have enough space, top of the pop: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vermona-q ... -interface
We use the qMI1, the qMI2 and one Flame QMCV. The Vermona is the most readable of the modules, rich in possibilities, accurate but large.

qMI2 - Quad MIDI Interface.jpg

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”