Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

EMS Synthi waiting list

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: EMS Synthi waiting list

Post by KSS »

MindMachine wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:22 pm I also have orange and red. I should open them all up and see what is inside. To be honest, I've never noticed a difference. But these are all very old and have likely been changed over the years before I got them. Interesting.
Don't try to open them. They're real easy to break and you can simply measure them with a meter. No need to open.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.
LucienDucasse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LucienDucasse »

I wonder whats's the wait time for a Synthi or VCS3 currently? Any news about it?
1kip
Common Wiggler

Post by 1kip »

Robin told me in June that it is about 4 years for both.
LucienDucasse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LucienDucasse »

sounds good maybe i will join the list again for a vcs3 I bought a pin portabella in 2021 an its great but one of the final vcs3 would be cool
MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine »

KSS wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:10 pm
MindMachine wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:22 pm I also have orange and red. I should open them all up and see what is inside. To be honest, I've never noticed a difference. But these are all very old and have likely been changed over the years before I got them. Interesting.
Don't try to open them. They're real easy to break and you can simply measure them with a meter. No need to open.
Thank you for the concern and heads-up on measurement. I opened many of them years ago. I found a couple de-soldered and set them aside. I think many have been reworked and I don't think the color codes make any sense. Some are old school resistors and some are newer. I should look and see what values they all are. I can't imagine my unit being much better, but I may have overlooked a most simple aspect.
Siren
Common Wiggler

Post by Siren »

KSS wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:10 pm
I have opened up a lot of pins, old and new, never have I ever seen one that seemed easy to break. They were made to be unscrewed, opened up and messed around with if need be.
mrfang
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mrfang »

1kip wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:36 pm Robin told me in June that it is about 4 years for both.
Know that all of his time estimates are off by years. When I joined the waiting list for a VCS3 in 2012 he said the wait time was 18 months, and it was not delivered until this year, 2022.
FS/T: Malekko Manther Growl, Pittsburgh Lifeforms KB-1, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, Bastl Knit Rider, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak.
FT: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), any 4ms modules.
WTB/T: Dewanatron Swarmatron, LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400/401.
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

Siren wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:19 pm
KSS wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:10 pm Don't try to open them. They're real easy to break and you can simply measure them with a meter. No need to open.
I have opened up a lot of pins, old and new, never have I ever seen one that seemed easy to break. They were made to be unscrewed, opened up and messed around with if need be.
Great -for you- that you haven't run into the ones which are glued shut!
That they *do* exist and *have* cost people -besides you- both money and loss of time, i'll stick to my recommendation.
Attachments
Broken Ghilmetti pins
Broken Ghilmetti pins
494_image12_1.jpg
aquifer
Common Wiggler

Post by aquifer »

I've also have never had a problem with unscrewing the Sealectro pins. The plastic cover unscrews smoothly from the metal shaft without much force needed. If someone has superglued a pin then of course that's a different scenario, but in general they loosen and tighten with ease,

Can't speak for Ghielmetti pins which the above images show.
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

Yes. The Sealectros pins have not typically been a problem. The Ghilmettis have been arriving with glued caps from the factory which *is* a surprise to those used to Sealectros and led to the results shown in the pics. <--Someone expecting them to unscrew and they didn't.
I have seen Sealectro's also glued but it was a really long time ago and not common.

The intended takeaway of my posts is to have the possibility of them being glued in your mind so you don't just try harder to unscrew them.
Ghilmetti now has to be asked *not* to glue them. It probably has something to do with swallow-able parts or some other safety regulation.
Could also be a veiled attempt to keep their pins from being modified which could come back to become service or 'optics' problems for them.
mrfang
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mrfang »

Aren't the Ghielmetti pins incompatible with the matrices used on EMS gear?
FS/T: Malekko Manther Growl, Pittsburgh Lifeforms KB-1, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, Bastl Knit Rider, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak.
FT: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), any 4ms modules.
WTB/T: Dewanatron Swarmatron, LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400/401.
Siren
Common Wiggler

Post by Siren »

KSS wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:21 am Yes. The Sealectros pins have not typically been a problem. The Ghilmettis have been arriving with glued caps from the factory which *is* a surprise to those used to Sealectros and led to the results shown in the pics. <--Someone expecting them to unscrew and they didn't.
I have seen Sealectro's also glued but it was a really long time ago and not common.

The intended takeaway of my posts is to have the possibility of them being glued in your mind so you don't just try harder to unscrew them.
Ghilmetti now has to be asked *not* to glue them. It probably has something to do with swallow-able parts or some other safety regulation.
Could also be a veiled attempt to keep their pins from being modified which could come back to become service or 'optics' problems for them.
Ok, I was strictly talking about Sealectro pins. It’s even encouraged in the Synthi manual to open the pins up.
Can’t speak for Ghielmetti, I thought they were only used for modern clones , and also old Maplin and such?
aquifer
Common Wiggler

Post by aquifer »

mrfang wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:25 pm Aren't the Ghielmetti pins incompatible with the matrices used on EMS gear?
Topic here on Pins with Graham Hinton's info: viewtopic.php?t=158683

Yup, they are essentially incompatible. Sealectro or bust!
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

I knew -from Hinton- that Robin was re-making Sealectro style pins. I did not realize that he was also re-making Sealectro matrices. Or sitting on a large enough NOS pile to fulfill all present and future orders. I incorrectly believed the Cornwall EMS were using 16x16 Ghilmettis Robin was having specially made.

I will still choose to use a meter rather than open patchpins unless they are to be changed. It won't hurt to keep the glued possibilty in mind if they do not unscrew easily.
papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz »

The ohmmeter is the only reliable way to know an old resistor's exact value.
The actual value may differ significantly from the nominal value indicated by the color code of the stripes.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and don't know of any cheap Synthi secret market.
I don't offer support for attempts to build clones of EMS equipment.
Please don't ask, thanks.
triplizard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by triplizard »

mrfang wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:23 am
1kip wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:36 pm Robin told me in June that it is about 4 years for both.
Know that all of his time estimates are off by years. When I joined the waiting list for a VCS3 in 2012 he said the wait time was 18 months, and it was not delivered until this year, 2022.
Yeah, I went on the list in 2012, too and he says I'm about a year out still. Unless he intends to really ramp up production or people start dropping off the list like flies if and when the Behringer clone comes out, I would look at four years as a very optimistic timeline.
LucienDucasse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LucienDucasse »

there will be no fuckinger vcs3 its a fake for sure
aread
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aread »

EMS manufacture both new pins and the matrix. I recently obtained both for a project I am working on. The matrix is perfect and must take some effort to produce. I am not surprised building a new VCS3 or Synthi can take a long time.

EMS Matrix 2022
EMS Matrix 2022
LucienDucasse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LucienDucasse »

looks great but I'd prefer a ghielmetti for new projects

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”