Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

I painstakingly hand-recreated the unreleased Buchla 209e Matrix Potpourri's entire panel

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

CiDE
Learning to Wiggle

I painstakingly hand-recreated the unreleased Buchla 209e Matrix Potpourri's entire panel

Post by CiDE »

Hello, everyone.
I remember when Shasta Cults just dropped the exceedingly futuristic would-be Easel 2.0 that was canned by BEMI and was entranced by its wild and new design that tips its hat to the 208 while welcoming new tricks of its own. So much so, that I just had to see it more clearly. That was when the idea of doing this came to my head.

While drawing it out, I attempted to make sense in my head how one would operate this maniacal weapon of mass synthesis. I believe it has a display that would show every value in sliders which would be edited by either the "data adj." buttons and the 222e plates, while virtual connections would be made by selecting "Data/Source/Destination". I know it doesn't say a lot, but you might get a better idea than I do. What's interesting is that every possible connection in the system represents a singular LED in the matrix. Inputs represent columns, and outputs represent rows. You "could" make the virtual connections via the banana jacks present above and below the matrix but there's the possibility of literally connecting everything to everything and harnessing the power of Merzbow and Satan's unborn child without frying something or losing voltages.

I did the work in Adobe Illustrator with just handmade shapes and Arial typography, which is inaccurate to the image but fits the best without violating something. Please notify me if you think I wrote something wrong or have a better idea of how a certain symbol may look like. Nothing's too hard to fix.

This is my loveletter to Buchla USA and hope they can pick this one up someday. I'm sure it will be amazing.
wyrtti
Muffdiver's Helmet

Re: I painstakingly hand-recreated the unreleased Buchla 209e Matrix Potpourri's entire panel

Post by wyrtti »

Thank you, Cide.
Eschew obfuscation!
Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Re: I painstakingly hand-recreated the unreleased Buchla 209e Matrix Potpourri's entire panel

Post by Peake »

Knob.jpg
What are they doing, in the dream house
Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake »

Kidding; that's unbelievable work!
What are they doing, in the dream house
dougcl
Number 6

Post by dougcl »

Those matrix LEDs need to be illuminated buttons, but I don't think there is enough room.
CiDE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CiDE »

dougcl wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:41 pm Those matrix LEDs need to be illuminated buttons, but I don't think there is enough room.
Don would've struck gold if he used the 296e touch multi-fader LED display on this, but alas, this is from 2005-06 while the 296e came out around 2013 ish. He probably just never thought of it before then or the tech wasn't quite there yet, who knows.
CiDE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CiDE »

Peake wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:39 pmKnob.jpg
Fine, here you go...

Peake wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:40 pm Kidding; that's unbelievable work!
Thanks !!
elmerfudd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by elmerfudd »

dougcl wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:41 pm Those matrix LEDs need to be illuminated buttons, but I don't think there is enough room.
That’s defeatist bullshit Doug, get busy.
EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC »

Beautiful work. Love the signature in the LCD especially. Very classic!
nojjyelir
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nojjyelir »

I wonder if BUSA would take this up, or maybe one of the designers in the format would take a swing at it. Looks so interesting.
lumin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lumin »

Was the original mention of this project on MW or somewhere else? Would like to read more about it.
shoegazer86
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shoegazer86 »

lumin wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:46 pm Was the original mention of this project on MW or somewhere else? Would like to read more about it.
According to what I've heard, Don was asked to help BEMI with the new Easel. Don excitedly draws up a new easel that is miles more advanced than the old one. He brings his papers to BEMI, and they say something along the lines of "what's this, we wanted the OLD Easel".

Don gruffly gathers his papers up and says "then you're on your own".
The MEMS Project
Modular Electronic Music Systems
MEMSProject.info
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

:tu:
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

Impressively dense for hardware, even today. Actually, I think it visually resembles a lot of today’s DAW plugins.

It appears to prioritize a visual representation of state, particularly the mod matrix, at the almost complete expense of interaction. Consequently, looks not at all immediate—an anti-208? I presume those lozenges are buttons. The ones with the arrows give me the shudders. Since there are no knobs, I presume there would be some way to target a parameter and then adjust it with position on the Thunder controller?
maxl0rd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by maxl0rd »

Unless there is some trick we can’t see, patching the matrix looks like it would be only slightly faster than soldering a resistor on to a preset card.
NoGuitars
Common Wiggler

Post by NoGuitars »

:eek:

Always wondered what an updated Easel by Don would have been like. Now I know: a noPOTnorsliderPOURRI
lumin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lumin »

maxl0rd wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:06 am Unless there is some trick we can’t see, patching the matrix looks like it would be only slightly faster than soldering a resistor on to a preset card.
Agreed, which is why I wanted to read some more info about it. It is so convoluted, doesnt seem like a Don design.
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

I spoke to Don about this panel a little bit. I gave him my opinion that it didn't recreate the magic of the Easel as a performance instrument, and it was a step in the wrong direction from a performance POV.

His opinion was that the presets and a tactile controller would make up for the lack of sliders/knobs, and that it could be an expressive instrument.

We didn't change each other's minds. ;)
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)
djs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djs »

cbm wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:56 am His opinion was that the presets and a tactile controller would make up for the lack of sliders/knobs, and that it could be an expressive instrument.
Was he thinking of using existing controllers already out there, or had a new one in mind that would go with this?
"Noise is what the Earth is made of" - David Bowie
@neutronstar604
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 01235813 »

Interesting panel, would a pin matrix be feasible?
djs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djs »

I was thinking it was more of a complex take on a 210e for routing. Probably could use some of the same circuitry under the hood.
"Noise is what the Earth is made of" - David Bowie
@neutronstar604
elmerfudd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by elmerfudd »

Here is a link to shastacults posting as relayed on Matrix...
https://www.matrixsynth.com/2022/04/the ... -2006.html.
Could be a cool interface with the addition of button matrix interface. With the integration of 222/223 would be quite touchy, performance oriented.

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”