8x8 Midi Interface Recommendations for 5u Systems

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Micronians
Wiggling with Experience

Re: 8x8 Midi Interface Recommendations for 5u Systems

Post by Micronians »

XXXEsq wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:56 am I can also recommend the MioXL. I replaced my MidiExpress 128 that also suffered from hanging notes and would occasionally just freeze. The Mio is bulletproof. Plus the ability to run over an rtp LAN is really convenient.
good to know! thank you
Mark11Audio
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mark11Audio »

KipKubin wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:18 pm
commoner wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:21 pm I use a Mio XL. It’s ability to also be usb midi host to so many devices is really handy.
Thank you. This is the answer I was looking for

I will second the Mio XL. I have one in my studio as well... great product. :goo:
5U Modular Enthusiast
KipKubin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KipKubin »

Purchased MioXL. Thanks everybody
Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless »

kdjupdal wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:50 am That one looks excellent. Do you provide the panel? I would have got it if I hadn't already got the ACX midi2cv, which also is 4 voice.
The Midi2CV-MK2 really is an excellent interface. It's a very easy DIY build. Highly recommended even as a second interface alongside a Q174 / Q175 setup. If you want polyphony it can't be beat for the price.

The panels are available directly from MidiSizer.

As for the MioXL.... It's going to be the next piece of gear I purchase. It looks awesome. Congrats @KipKubin! :clap:
Last edited by Flareless on Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

Have a good time all the time - Viv Savage
daveholiday
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by daveholiday »

KipKubin wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:51 am Purchased MioXL. Thanks everybody
Would love your thoughts about it after a couple weeks of putting it through the paces!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

Stuff for sale: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=251468
KipKubin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KipKubin »

MioXL - I’m going to do a more formal review but other than a few hiccups all my problems are solved.
Setup is so easy. Filtering and patch creation is intuitive and any questions for each section are covered in a video instruction manual by clicking the i of each section.

My issues
Not officially supported by the latest Mac OS - no issues, working fine, I think

Bought mine used on Reverb but it’s still registered to the previous owner. I have a note into the company on that one .

Even though I completed a factory reset and only my gear shows up in my presets on the machine and using their software Ableton shows the previous owners gear in place of mine. ( this may be a product of the unsupported OS - I’m going to contact the company and see what they say.

Overall absolutely pleased. Thank you all for the recomendation
Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless »

@KipKubin. Very happy to hear your initial report . The MioXL is going to be the next addition to my studio. I didn't know the issue with the new Mac OS, however, I run High Sierra in my studio so I should be ok.

My MIDI setup is extensive (to some) and convoluted with a myriad of MIDI THRU and MERGE boxes laced throughout. Getting the Clock signal to all the devices in the same millisecond is not quite possible and maddening as hell.

Thanks for the feedback!
Rich

Have a good time all the time - Viv Savage
boothnavy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by boothnavy »

I've been using the Mios for awhile, too. Been very happy. I pair them with several Kenton boxes and all works great for me.
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com
daveholiday
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by daveholiday »

KipKubin wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:13 pm
Even though I completed a factory reset and only my gear shows up in my presets on the machine and using their software Ableton shows the previous owners gear in place of mine. ( this may be a product of the unsupported OS - I’m going to contact the company and see what they say.
That is a bit spooky! You would think a "factory reset" would provide a clean slate. I am curious as to how this turns out....please follow up when you get it sorted!

daveholiday
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by daveholiday »

daveholiday wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:51 pm
KipKubin wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:13 pm
That is a bit spooky! You would think a "factory reset" would provide a clean slate. I am curious as to how this turns out....please follow up when you get it sorted!
For what it is worth a always make sure I am wearing a tinfoil hat when I do resets......just in case!!
IMG_20210131_162921734.jpg

KipKubin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KipKubin »

Ok. First time hooking up MIDI via Eithernet Network connections, but I have it all figured out.

This step eliminates the complaint you hear most about this unit. The USB port connecting computer to interface is on the front.

The names of previous gear is just a computer memory issue and is easily resolved - iConectivity has a video that explains how to remove that “memory” from your midi setup.

Return to “5U Format Modules”