Parasite Antifilter in Beta.

Gear, Suggestions and Discussion.

Moderators: Kent, computer controlled, flight, Kent, computer controlled, flight

flight
The Plague Bearer

Parasite Antifilter in Beta.

Post by flight »

Parasite-Filter-E_14hp-May2022.png
Specs:
  • Price: $249 (tentative, may change)
  • HP: 14
  • Depth: 1.75"/43mm
  • Power draw: +12V 80mA, -12V 20mA.
Note: This is very much a work-in-progress, and many things may still change, including artwork.

What is it?
Well, it started out as a VC parametric equalizer, but it sucked. Really bad. I decided to trash the idea and sent the original prototype to the Great Wizard for them to play with since we had been chatting about it. The subsequent findings were completely the opposite of what I found - not about the filter part though, that still sucked. It turns out the Parasite Antifilter is a ridiculously fun and useful drone source, drum generator (especially kicks, snares, and blocks), distortion and fuzz, absolute sonic wreckage device, coloring mixer, formant generator, and so on. We keep finding more uses for it each time it's fired up.

Ostensibly, the Parasite Antifilter is a 2nd-order cascaded parametric equalizer. Out1 is from the first stage, Out2 is from the second stage. Both can be used simultaneously for a stereo-esque signal. The Feedback knob controls amount of output fed back to the input, and the Feedback toggle chooses if it's from Out1 or Out2.

The "Infest" switches are wholly serendipitous and defy explanation. Just know that they are there for good reason, which is readily apparent when you use them. Infest 1 affects the first stage, Infest 2 the second.

Even more than with other f(h) gear, it is built out of sweet spots. Every nudge of a knob can completely change what is happening. I believe Parasite is what led to MxR Frost commenting something to the effect of "The trademark of f(h) modules is thinking it's broken and wondering if it even works, then touching a knob and realizing 'Oh, it works just fine'."

It works best when used wrong: Ignore the audio in and feed audio to the CVs, use the CV ins as outs and turn it into a selfcest orgy, etc. Oh, it can still be used as an EQ if you really want to, but there are many better ones out there, so don't get it for that purpose.

As of June 26th, three more units have gone out to beta testers, so more information to come soon.

Some recent videos of the beta version:

Creepy sounds:
~flight
flight(at)flightofharmony(dot)com
http://www.flightofharmony.com
R_bot
Common Wiggler

Re: Parasite Antifilter in Beta.

Post by R_bot »

Congrats to flight on this baffling masterpiece.

Super exciting that this beast is kicking and screaming its way in to the world (quite literally, being both great at making kick sounds and screaming).

Pre-empting the question of ‘how does this compare to plague bearer?’ I’d say they’re entirely different…have encountered some plague bearer ish sizzling tweaking the ‘high’ section at times, however PB is a largely a filter and this is…not (though sometimes it pretends to be then whacks you with a random square wave or crackle)…

From playing with it, super weird module. Very rewarding. Encourages asking questions and trying different approaches.
jsu
Common Wiggler

Post by jsu »

Added to Modulargrid as a prototype.
acgenerator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acgenerator »

Interested by what I saw. As with any mangler or filter, I'd like it if there was a bit more of "here's what the noise sounded like going in" to the videos. Preferably a few examples with different harmonic content for comparison would be excellent. (e.g. basic saw wave vs Square/PWM/Digital Noise vs white noise). It's hard to get a good read without that baseline.
flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight »

acgenerator wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:10 pm Interested by what I saw. As with any mangler or filter, I'd like it if there was a bit more of "here's what the noise sounded like going in" to the videos. Preferably a few examples with different harmonic content for comparison would be excellent. (e.g. basic saw wave vs Square/PWM/Digital Noise vs white noise). It's hard to get a good read without that baseline.
You are absolutely correct. We'll get some of those up here ASAP.
~flight
flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight »

Here's a simple walkthrough of the Parasite Antifilter dynamic responses - just slow noodling with simple sources and patches.

From YT descripiton:
Very simple patching (sometimes none), and just showing the more unstable end of usage: Out 2, high Feedback, etc.

It is interesting to note that the Parasite Antifilter acts like a capacitor sometimes and stores energy. Many of the sounds it generates have a charging period before they show and then run on their own like an additional source. They'll keep running until the settings are changed, and have to re-charge before they appear again.

I was going to edit this, but we left it complete to show everything, even the dead zones.

Sources: Desktop Infernal Noise Machine for tone and LFO, IMP for other.

Notable points:

04:10
04:30
06:48
9:44
10:50
12:25
13:09 - Shows the development of various tones and rhythms over the next minute or so.
15:54 through17:15 - long-cycle rhythmic evolution & sporadic distortion.
~flight
acgenerator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acgenerator »

flight wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:37 pm Here's a simple walkthrough of the Parasite Antifilter dynamic responses - just slow noodling with simple sources and patches.

From YT descripiton:
Very simple patching (sometimes none), and just showing the more unstable end of usage: Out 2, high Feedback, etc.

It is interesting to note that the Parasite Antifilter acts like a capacitor sometimes and stores energy. Many of the sounds it generates have a charging period before they show and then run on their own like an additional source. They'll keep running until the settings are changed, and have to re-charge before they appear again.

I was going to edit this, but we left it complete to show everything, even the dead zones.

Sources: Desktop Infernal Noise Machine for tone and LFO, IMP for other.

Notable points:

04:10
04:30
06:48
9:44
10:50
12:25
13:09 - Shows the development of various tones and rhythms over the next minute or so.
15:54 through17:15 - long-cycle rhythmic evolution & sporadic distortion.
Thank you
flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight »

Everybody's really busy right now, but we'll try and get some more in-depth ones up soon.
~flight
Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos »

Will check all the vids soon.
I'm an original lover of FoH!
flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight »

Soy Sos wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:34 pm Will check all the vids soon.
I'm an original lover of FoH!
Soy Sos! Yes, the above statement is true. :sb:
~flight
flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight »

Oh yeah, I have these ones too. A bunch of videos of the r.02 shot during alpha evaluation. These are internal, so nothing fancy. The main difference between the .03 & .02 is some volume limiting to reduce output spikes. The "Infest" switches (which were jumpers on the .02) were not enabled in these videos, iirc.

Video 1: Found formants, experimenting.

Video 2: Swept square wave to in, no modulation, just seeing what everything does.

Video 3: More random patching.
Blue: Swept square in.
Black/black: IMP attenuated by Choices
Black/black: Choices CV
Black/black/silver: pink noise

Video 4: Impulse tests. Cables:
Blue: very slow square wave
Black/black: Choices CV
Black/silver: Ramp LFO

The first and last are my favorites, particularly the last. Just pinging the Parasite and having fun.
~flight
jameswalk
Common Wiggler

Post by jameswalk »

Got to say I’m really excited about this. Keep going !!
R_bot
Common Wiggler

Post by R_bot »

A quick exploration - no modulation of parasite, and using a ‘standard’ configuration, oscillator to in, sound from out2. Audio is direct from speaker to ipad mic, so doesn’t capture full fidelity.

PapaLazarou
Common Wiggler

Post by PapaLazarou »

Whoaaaaa
Peter Drake
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Peter Drake »

Very impressed, this appears to be very playable and responsive within the interstitial sonic territories that appeal to me.
Sign me up for one, it's inevitable.
More has been done with less.
flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight »

I was poking at Parasite today just to check something, ended up finding some great, ominous, and weird sounds and took three quick videos. So I spliced them together.
~flight
R_bot
Common Wiggler

Post by R_bot »

This is a quick drone centred around two different revisions of parasite…they both sound great…

ŘłB23³
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ŘłB23³ »

R_bot wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:41 pm This is a quick drone centred around two different revisions of parasite…they both sound great…

:sarcasm:
I'm super excited to get my hands on a parasite! Hope the testing is going well, looking forward to the day, hopefully soon! Your instruments slay me Flight! :bang: :hail:
flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight »

ŘłB23³ wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:00 pm ...
:sarcasm:
I'm super excited to get my hands on a parasite! Hope the testing is going well, looking forward to the day, hopefully soon! Your instruments slay me Flight! :bang: :hail:
:sb:
It draws closer and closer. Have a quick video of the latest mod crying:
Self-oscillating on each filter section (Low, Mid, High) with a slow sine wave varying the center frequency of the High section to give the crying sound.
(I keep forgetting to post these here too.)
~flight
He_lium
Wiggling with Experience

Post by He_lium »

Hi flight! Will Parasite Antifilter be available from dealers in Europe?
flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight »

He_lium wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:59 am Hi flight! Will Parasite Antifilter be available from dealers in Europe?
Hi! If they want to, yes. The module will be available at Escape From Noise in Sweden, and the kit from Thonk in the UK. The others won't answer my emails. :hmm:
If you want f(h) gear from other sources, let them know. They'll listen to customers more than they'll listen to me. ;)
~flight
He_lium
Wiggling with Experience

Post by He_lium »

flight wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:25 pm
He_lium wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:59 am Hi flight! Will Parasite Antifilter be available from dealers in Europe?
Hi! If they want to, yes. The module will be available at Escape From Noise in Sweden, and the kit from Thonk in the UK. The others won't answer my emails. :hmm:
If you want f(h) gear from other sources, let them know. They'll listen to customers more than they'll listen to me. ;)
It's perfect if I can get one via Ulf. Thanks flight, have a nice day and congrats for this great new module! :tu:

Return to “Flight of Harmony”