Strymon stereo phaser

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Strymon stereo phaser

Post by Richard deHove »

I'm no Strymon fan that's for sure, but I have been looking for a good quality true stereo in and outphaser for ages. In this category there's only a few pedals like the Helix (digital cheapie), Twin Lazers, and the Source Audio Lunar. Then along comes Strymon with the Zelzah and it looks like all that I've been searching for: Stereo in and out; four and six stages, spread controls, ability to do vibrato and flange etc etc. I think it may end up as my first Strymon:

Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Re: Strymon stereo phaser

Post by Kent »

Wow! That’s a nice one. I’d always kicked myself for not picking up a Moogerfooger Phaser when they were much cheaper. This might suit although I really should just use my Axe-FX.

At 12 mins in, I’ve yet to hear anything truly glorpy from the unit. Still listening…
hippo1
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hippo1 »

I'm trying to ignore this unit, despite my absolute love for phasers. Though I have many mono units, the only stereo one I use is an EHX Mod Rex for my ch/ph/fl needs... And that's satisfied that particular itch. Strymon's one of the only companies that I forgive for being all-digital (bad, bad experiences in the distant past with budget fx pedals have ingrained a general distrust in all-digital pedals); their stuff is stellar.

And now, I'm watching demos. [I thought I had my GAS pretty much under control this year!]
maxl0rd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by maxl0rd »

The Strymon Mobius was already a pretty good stereo phaser (and a bunch of other stuff).
Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs »

Kent wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:45 am... At 12 mins in, I’ve yet to hear anything truly glorpy from the unit. Still listening…
I wonder if that's down to the number of stages. For me, 8 and up seems to be where a phaser really starts to bite. From the video, running the two phasers in serial doesn't seem to give one phaser with 10 stages.

It's a bit of a weird design choice to me, having two phasers rather than one with all the parameters and switchable stages ... :hmm:
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

Navs wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:27 am
Kent wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:45 am... At 12 mins in, I’ve yet to hear anything truly glorpy from the unit. Still listening…
I wonder if that's down to the number of stages. For me, 8 and up seems to be where a phaser really starts to bite. From the video, running the two phasers in serial doesn't seem to give one phaser with 10 stages.

It's a bit of a weird design choice to me, having two phasers rather than one with all the parameters and switchable stages ... :hmm:
I think the idea is that it can be used in stereo with both L and R effected. The Xaoc Kamieniec actually has a similar configuration of stereo out, one 4 and the other 6 stage. But it also allows barber pole phasing, which needs 2 individual phasers. I suppose in theory each channel could have had a stage selector, but I suppose that was just a design decision. It seems rather influenced by the Mutron Bi-Phase, which also has 2 individual circuits. It even has a similar purple color!
Headphones73
Common Wiggler

Post by Headphones73 »

I’m more interested in the Dreadbox Lethargy for its CV control, but if I had the money I’d get a MF-103 and use that with my MF-102 & 104m & CP251. However, I probably would want a stereo phaser, and this one could fit the bill.
Gear owned: Hungry Robot Modular Oscillator, Output, Slew, Sample & Hold, Sonicsmith Modulor A1, Behringer Crave, RD6, RD9, TD3, TD3MO, Korg EA-1, ER-1 MK2, Boss SP202, SP404, SP505, RE20, Line 6 M5, Akai Miniak, S20, XR20, S2000, Moog MF102, MF104M, CP251, Dreadbox Taff2, Roland SP202, SP404, SP505, RC505, TB03, TR06
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg »

I thought about this thread when I got an email for this dual 4/6 stage phaser. I believe it's analog, but I could be mistaken.
https://www.mrblackpedals.com/products/twin-lazers

The demos sound pretty good, but maybe tame for synth use. I'd get one, but I'm in the middle of a pedal purge already and I'm keeping my MF103.
Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove »

dkcg wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:40 pm I thought about this thread when I got an email for this dual 4/6 stage phaser. I believe it's analog, but I could be mistaken.
https://www.mrblackpedals.com/products/twin-lazers
The demos sound pretty good, but maybe tame for synth use. I'd get one, but I'm in the middle of a pedal purge already and I'm keeping my MF103.
Lots of choices if you want mono in and stereo out, but for true stereo in and out with field effects, Twin Lazers is one of a very few other options. This is a better price than I've seen for a while too.
Happyanimal
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Happyanimal »

Glou Glou rendezvous
Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove »

I bought one:

Technologear?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Technologear? »

Richard deHove wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:50 pm I bought one:

Thanks for taking the time to make such a deep and helpful video.
I'm sold, my string synth will be permanently connected to one eventually.
How are you feeling about it, is it a keeper for you?
northerntao
Wiggling with Experience

Post by northerntao »

I bought a Mu-Tron Biphase 2 a week before I caught wind of this. I think it sounds sublime.

A big couple months for phasers. After never owned an analog phaser, I have the Biphase and a pair of the new Bugbrand Phaser modules.
Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove »

Technologear? wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:14 pm Thanks for taking the time to make such a deep and helpful video.
I'm sold, my string synth will be permanently connected to one eventually.
How are you feeling about it, is it a keeper for you?
It doesn't have the guts of my beloved old PH-1 (which I lost in transit a few years back) but has all the good stuff I need now. Most importantly it's true stereo in and out, has excellent stereo width and a beautiful smooth sound. Added to that the bonus of being a great flanger and chorus. I've cycled through a few phasers but I think this one will stay. I also didn't want anything with mystery knobs. So although this does have secondary functions they're really set-and-forget style - things like stereo width and effect order.
It's certainly not cheap, but I had been looking at chorus and flanger pedals too but don't have to bother with that now.
My Zelzah will be living on the OB-6 outputs which some might find a bit odd considering the phasers in the OB-6 onboard effects are usually considered to be a highlight, but I'm not very impressed with any of the OB-6 onboard effects so it's actually a bit of a relief to turn them all off and process externally.
If you want stereo phasing the alternatives aren't that inspiring, mostly cheap digitals. Twin Lazers would probably be the main contender.
TLDR: Happy to find a high-quality stereo phaser. A keeper.
Technologear?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Technologear? »

Richard deHove wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:29 am My Zelzah will be living on the OB-6 outputs which some might find a bit odd considering the phasers in the OB-6 onboard effects are usually considered to be a highlight, but I'm not very impressed with any of the OB-6 onboard effects so it's actually a bit of a relief to turn them all off and process externally.
That's been my feeling too. I adore my ob6 but find the fx 'almost good enough'. I find myself messing with the fx settings more than anything else on it, in that 'hmm, that could be better...' way. Turning them off and routing through external fx chains is my current preference too.

Watching your vid and the knobs you reached for, I could follow the flow. 'Now try that with slower speed... YEAH that's sweeeet'. It looks easy to find good sounds with the Strymon. It helped that you switched to bypass a bit so I could orient the source sound and focus on the effect.
Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove »

I bought a Strymon Mobius multi-effect unit a little while back and that of course includes a phaser. Although I'm still very happy with the Zelzah I thought I'd do a comparison of the sound. This video is only for phaser nuts but for me they sound remarkably similar.

Technologear?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Technologear? »

Richard deHove wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:18 pm I bought a Strymon Mobius multi-effect unit a little while back and that of course includes a phaser. Although I'm still very happy with the Zelzah I thought I'd do a comparison of the sound. This video is only for phaser nuts but for me they sound remarkably similar.

This phaser nut enjoyed that so much, thank you! I conclude that the zelzah hides inside the mobius. Which expands my purchase options.

I don't resent Strymon for putting a pre existing algorithm from the mobius into the zelzah - I feel like it's giving the phaser it's place, acknowledging how good it sounds and giving it a deserving place in their line up.

However, I didn't buy both like you did Richard! How are you feeling about your conclusions?
Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove »

Technologear? wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:41 am
This phaser nut enjoyed that so much, thank you! I conclude that the zelzah hides inside the mobius. Which expands my purchase options.

I don't resent Strymon for putting a pre existing algorithm from the mobius into the zelzah - I feel like it's giving the phaser it's place, acknowledging how good it sounds and giving it a deserving place in their line up.

However, I didn't buy both like you did Richard! How are you feeling about your conclusions?
My conclusion was the same as yours (although I didn't want to say it directly in the video): the Zelzah has simply lifted the phaser from the Mobius. I was very surprised to easily get an almost identical sound. The Zelzah still has its extras like the flanger and chorus and the combination of 4 and 6 stages, but the character of the overall unit is the same.

The result is I'm going to sell the Zelzah. I originally bought it because it has true stereo in and out which is rare in phaserland and I never expected a multi-effect unit to have a very high quality phaser so ignored the Mobius at the time. OTOH I bought the Mobius specifically for its stereo filter and tremolo so finding it can do phasing so well is really a huge bonus.

So, very surprised, but happy to be able to sell the Zelzah. (Now I can buy something else!)
Technologear?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Technologear? »

Richard deHove wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:12 am
Technologear? wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:41 am

My conclusion was the same as yours (although I didn't want to say it directly in the video): the Zelzah has simply lifted the phaser from the Mobius. I was very surprised to easily get an almost identical sound. The Zelzah still has its extras like the flanger and chorus and the combination of 4 and 6 stages, but the character of the overall unit is the same.

The result is I'm going to sell the Zelzah. I originally bought it because it has true stereo in and out which is rare in phaserland and I never expected a multi-effect unit to have a very high quality phaser so ignored the Mobius at the time. OTOH I bought the Mobius specifically for its stereo filter and tremolo so finding it can do phasing so well is really a huge bonus.

So, very surprised, but happy to be able to sell the Zelzah. (Now I can buy something else!)
I'm going to get one or the other based on 2nd hand market price. But before i do, I'm going to dig into my old dusty multi fx units and give the phaser settings a real close study.

Your phaser gold discovery might be replicated...
I will post any worthwhile discoveries. 8-)

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”