Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Live looping with small systems

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

sjbucks
Common Wiggler

Re: Live looping with small systems

Post by sjbucks »

I tried doing this within my system (Instruo Ludbah) but it just didn't work out for me. It turns out I prefer to treat the modular as a single instrument then have a separate looper close at hand that I can interact with easily.

I started out with the EHX720 and had one for years. I figured it was time for an upgrade and got the 42000 but it just wasn't for me, so I stuck with the 720.

I love it, it works perfectly for my needs. But having said that I don't use it for any kind of tempo sync so YMMV.
Hyberus
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hyberus »

Although I've not used it live yet my newly built/re-arranged live rig incorporates two 2hp Loops. I've currently got it set up so that an aux feed from my mixer feeds the same signal to both of them, but I have different loop lengths going, and pan them apart. That way I can choose what to feed them with. It sounds good enough that I'm almost tempted to get a third one. I'm also feeding a Qu-bit Data Bender (which is newly purchased) from another aux feed.
Random is the new maRnod
NoGuitars
Common Wiggler

Post by NoGuitars »

I use Ableton with a Launchpad and 2 x Launch Control.

Once set-up, it does not feel like working with a computer: the screen is dark and my controllers give enough visual feedback to really know what's going on.

One Launch Control is for sub-mixing my drumcomputer, the other is set up as a mixer for the live-tracks and the loops.

It took a time to find a way to use these controllers and NOT need any feedback from the computer. For me, the trick was to not use the generic Ableton-mapping, but midi-map each fader and knob to 1 function (volume, low- and hi-pass per channel, 1 send effect) and keep it that way.
Stu B
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

Ableton with Push 2 is great as a looper with Pams as master clock. I have a template of settings saved for jams.
Garnoth
Common Wiggler

Post by Garnoth »

I am trying live looping with a 1010 blackbox right now and it works really well. The only downside is the machine doesn’t support overdubbing (yet). I am really excited to start preparing a live set with my 6U and the blackbox :)
underthebigtree
Common Wiggler

Post by underthebigtree »

I'm prepping for a performance next week and wanted to be able to do Charles Cohen-style time-synced looping with my Music Easel.

After having tried an Infinity pedal and a Lexicon JamMan, I settled on using a 4ms Dual Looping Delay in a small Eurorack skiff with some other noisemakers. It doesn't have dedicated controls for looping, but it sounds great and does exactly what I want it to. Here is how I have it set up:

Master clock -> DLD
DLD clock out -> sequencer pulse in on BOB expansion board plugged into Easel
Easel audio -> DLD, input 1 or 2

To clear a loop track: set feedback to zero for the length of the record.
To record: Set feedback to 100%. Turn up the delay feed for that channel (to max, in this case), record the loop
Turn the delay feed back to zero. Done.

Adjust mix to blend the live Easel with the loop, and plug the output from the Easel into either input jack to record that channel on the fly.

It's not fancy, to be sure, but it works, and I'm getting a very satisfying result out of it.
batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch »

metamorphmuses wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:30 am
As for having the Assimil8or automatically record via CV, I personally haven't tried it, but it is mentioned in the manual on page 19, in the section on Basic Sampling Process: "6. If you are going to use CV triggered sampling, assign the desired CV input."

As to triggering a sample that's already recorded via CV, there are several play modes (1-shot, gated and latched modes), as well as some looping modes (normal and gated modes) for which you can assign CV to trigger, retrigger and stop parameters.

But if you mean, can the device record for a set amount of time, stop and automatically loop that sample—all from CV triggers—the answer is, unfortunately, I am not sure; however I know it can use CV to trigger record and stop, yet I don't see a way to program the Assimil8or to automatically exit sampling and switch to looping that sample.
This is easy with the way I have it setup. I mult the /16 clock from Pam’s and have it trigger the channel I am recording the loop into as well as starting and stopping the recording.

Using the WMD Axys is key to this setup, but does mean it’s hands on. To be more specifiC

Monitoring is on
Channels 1&2 are used for loop 1
Channels 3&4 are used for loop 2
Both loops use their direct outs and do not go into the A8 mix out.
Loop 1 is into left side of Axys A
Loop 2 is into right side of Axys A
Axys A goes into Right side of Axys B
Live sound goes into Left side of Axys B
/16 clock triggers recording and playback of Loops 1 &2

This means Loop 1, 2 and Live are going into A8 and come out on Mix out.

When recording you have to select where you want the loop to go, and then hit arm. It automatically starts and stops recording on the next /16 and automatically starts playing the loops.
I then manually fade in the recorded loop and fade between the loops and live for SOS recording.

To me the advantage of this setup is that you never get a big jump in volume when a loop is recorded and starts playing whilst you have the live coming in to which happens with guitar pedals. The fading in also gives you complete control. The A8 is also non destructive so you can revert to earlier loops if you want.

What this doesn’t do is decay the recorded sound with each recording. The A8 has this capability but I really wish the level could be controlled like it is with Lubadh or Magneto.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT
Days since last purchase = 1
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

batch wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:10 pm
metamorphmuses wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:30 am
As for having the Assimil8or automatically record via CV, I personally haven't tried it, but it is mentioned in the manual on page 19, in the section on Basic Sampling Process: "6. If you are going to use CV triggered sampling, assign the desired CV input."

As to triggering a sample that's already recorded via CV, there are several play modes (1-shot, gated and latched modes), as well as some looping modes (normal and gated modes) for which you can assign CV to trigger, retrigger and stop parameters.

But if you mean, can the device record for a set amount of time, stop and automatically loop that sample—all from CV triggers—the answer is, unfortunately, I am not sure; however I know it can use CV to trigger record and stop, yet I don't see a way to program the Assimil8or to automatically exit sampling and switch to looping that sample.
This is easy with the way I have it setup. I mult the /16 clock from Pam’s and have it trigger the channel I am recording the loop into as well as starting and stopping the recording.

Using the WMD Axys is key to this setup, but does mean it’s hands on. To be more specifiC

Monitoring is on
Channels 1&2 are used for loop 1
Channels 3&4 are used for loop 2
Both loops use their direct outs and do not go into the A8 mix out.
Loop 1 is into left side of Axys A
Loop 2 is into right side of Axys A
Axys A goes into Right side of Axys B
Live sound goes into Left side of Axys B
/16 clock triggers recording and playback of Loops 1 &2

This means Loop 1, 2 and Live are going into A8 and come out on Mix out.

When recording you have to select where you want the loop to go, and then hit arm. It automatically starts and stops recording on the next /16 and automatically starts playing the loops.
I then manually fade in the recorded loop and fade between the loops and live for SOS recording.

To me the advantage of this setup is that you never get a big jump in volume when a loop is recorded and starts playing whilst you have the live coming in to which happens with guitar pedals. The fading in also gives you complete control. The A8 is also non destructive so you can revert to earlier loops if you want.

What this doesn’t do is decay the recorded sound with each recording. The A8 has this capability but I really wish the level could be controlled like it is with Lubadh or Magneto.
This sounds complex but promising. Can you link to any recordings you have using this technique and setup?
efluon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by efluon »

Not wanting to polarize, but I had real good results and workflow with a mannequins w/ using the current beta firmware. But then it developed noise artefacts (i think i need to replace the sd card. No filesystem on it..), so now i am using an eventide H9, which is a little wasteful (of my reverb send), but works ok. Will reinstate the w/ though. And learn how to best use norns for that.
aevai
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aevai »

NoGuitars wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:11 am I use Ableton with a Launchpad and 2 x Launch Control.

Once set-up, it does not feel like working with a computer: the screen is dark and my controllers give enough visual feedback to really know what's going on.

One Launch Control is for sub-mixing my drumcomputer, the other is set up as a mixer for the live-tracks and the loops.

It took a time to find a way to use these controllers and NOT need any feedback from the computer. For me, the trick was to not use the generic Ableton-mapping, but midi-map each fader and knob to 1 function (volume, low- and hi-pass per channel, 1 send effect) and keep it that way.
Hey, any chance you have a video of this setup?

I recently bought a Launchpad and am looking to do something similar.

Can't seem to find many good videos of modular synths being live-looped using a Launchpad.
NoGuitars
Common Wiggler

Post by NoGuitars »

aevai wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:57 am
NoGuitars wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:11 am I use Ableton with a Launchpad and 2 x Launch Control.

Hey, any chance you have a video of this setup?

I recently bought a Launchpad and am looking to do something similar.

Can't seem to find many good videos of modular synths being live-looped using a Launchpad.
No I don't but there are plenty of videos on live looping in general.

A few things you should know about Ableton:
  • Solving latency issues in Ableton is a huge PITA. There's a thread with an in depth explanation + solution here: viewtopic.php?t=195180
    If you disconnect/reconnect a MIDI controller while Live is running, audio will interrupt/hick-up
I recently switched to Bitwig and so far it seems to be more stable and there are no issues at all with latency. Also, I can "accidentally" unplug anything and it just keeps running.

If you have any specific questions: shoot!
DoverBeach
Common Wiggler

Post by DoverBeach »

An Octatrack can't be beaten for this job imho. It opens up so many possibilities and saves you a lot of money and space. It makes transitions easier and cool and really gives life to a performance.

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”