Introducing ADDAC405 VC Relabi Generator

New Interfaces for Analog Synthesizers.

Moderators: Kent, __ag, Kent, __ag

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Introducing ADDAC405 VC Relabi Generator

Post by timoka »

thanks! is the output a gate or a trigger on the 405?
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug »

Outputs:
'All' (a mix of 10ms triggers derived from the four comparator outputs)
'Relabi wave' output (mix of all 4 LFOs, but you can use switches to turn off certain LFOs)
Four 'threshold' gates. 1&2 for top, 3&4 for bottom.
One pot sets gate length of all 4. Has CV input, knob, attenuator.
(gate indicates when a crossing occurred but length is always this setting)
No individual outs of the LFOs, just the mix and 5 gates/triggers.
:nana: "Acting normal is crazy enough" Dutch saying
mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor »

BananaPlug wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:25 am Outputs:
'Relabi wave' output (mix of all 4 LFOs, but you can use switches to turn off certain LFOs)
Thanks for this, I think the use of the term Relabi had me stumbled for a bit coming from Peter Blasser world. But it's just a word & there are a number of ways to get there, this is an interesting module and I like the wonkyness of the results it produces.

It seems very performative, I'm wonering if you turn off one (or 2) LFO does that kill the gate output for that LFO or does it just change the 'beat' of the 4 output's? Also the button seems perfect for performance (not enough pauses in modular).

My only experience of comparators is a Ladik J-120 that produces 4 gates from two inputs. Thanks
Latest release - https://glassreservoir.bandcamp.com/alb ... ns-fusings

Slippery Clock - clockwork controlled modular synth Slippery Clock

http://www.dirchblewn.com
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug »

To answer your question, turning an LFO "Off" seems to only remove it from the Relabi wave mix.

The numbered gate outputs (1,2,3,4) continue to happen. Those are not LFO numbers! They are 'threshold' gates. 1&2 for top, 3&4 for bottom. Referring to the comparators.

Not sure how performative it will turn out to be since feedback and control tend to be limited and indirect. We have two LEDs indicating the mixed LFOs and two LEDs indicating comparator thresholds. There's no feedback on the four LFOs. Even if I hook up a scope there's only access to the mixed output. If I'm performing and want to tweak LFO gain or freq settings I'm flying blind.
timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka »

BananaPlug wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:25 am Outputs:
thanks, i think i order it, it really is a very compact module for these kind of rhythms!
i wonder what the shortest gate length is, in the manual there's no information about the range of the gate length.
anyhow, thanks for the info and demos. my whole system is some sort of relabi generator so i guess i almost have to have this :)
mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor »

The size is compelling but I'm holding off spending, I'm going to try some experiments with 2 x Uncertain LFO's patched to Comparator, patched to shift registers, clock dividers & gate-trigger converters. I'm a big fan of complexity. :party:

Regarding my comment on 'performability', I'm happy with the lack of user feedback as most of the time the performance element is just a response to sound & the sound usually stems from an unexpected or non predetermined event that has happened/or is happening as a result of patching these things up.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug »

mrbloor wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:35 amRegarding my comment on 'performability', I'm happy with the lack of user feedback as most of the time the performance element is just a response to sound & the sound usually stems from an unexpected or non predetermined event that has happened/or is happening as a result of patching these things up.
That sounds about right. While first getting to know a complex module, I lean on technical aspects and try to figure it out, find the limits and controls. The next phase is more of a trial and error approach and, as you said, "the performance element is just a response to sound..."

Very helpful things:
Ability to drive LFO1 externally and lock some or all of the other LFOs to divisions or multiples of LFO1 (includes some interesting ratios).
CV control (and knobs) for LFO1 and LFO2.
CV control (and knobs and LEDs) for the high and low comparator thresholds. Use in performance to adjust density or hunt for sweet spots.
Play mode? Looks interesting, haven't tried it yet.

Quote from Addac's manual:
"The experience of a palpably coordinated plurality of events that appears to be cyclical but simultaneously suspends identification of a uniform pattern, preventing a resolved sense of pulse. Relabi therefore seems equally pulsed and unpulsed at the same time. It is an experiential gestalt, a quality of experience, greater than the sum of its parts (it forms a sustained unity in experience, albeit of a new kind)"

I imagine they had a real hard time managing feature creep.
mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor »

[/quote]I imagine they had a real hard time managing feature creep.[/quote]

I'm glad they honed the idea down & stuck with a fairly simple approach, many thanks for all the info. without it I'd still be scratching my head. :hmm:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler »

BananaPlug wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:52 am I imagine they had a real hard time managing feature creep.
Not really, at least not more than usual.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Return to “ADDAC System”