BeginerSound Design

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Sonax
Learning to Wiggle

BeginerSound Design

Post by Sonax »

Hi,

I'm a sound designer working on Feature film/TV Show/game and vr content. I'm currently planing to build myself a modular system to spice up my sound design workflow and color palet, i would like to do mainly Drone/ambiant/texture sound for the moment. I've build this system on modular grid :

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1959453

Could you give me your thought on it ? My idea is to run samples/synth from my DAW to this system modifying them and then record the result back to my DAW.

Thanks!
Attachments
modulargrid_1959453.jpg
revtor
Dialing it in..

Re: BeginerSound Design

Post by revtor »

Looks like a standard assortment of popular modules, sure to be fun.

Build this in vcv rack and try it before spending every money.
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic
rolands
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rolands »

Cool idea Sonax. I got into modular to help me make fresh content for similar use cases as yourself. I used to own the 100 Grit, and although it sounded mean, I couldn't justify it as a mono distortion as well as the other distortion modules I have. As you seem to have some stereo modules in there already, if I were you I'd look into switching that out for a stereo FX module that offers you some CV controls over FX params and with options and range for sound design, maybe the the Ruina Versio? The RV runs on an open source DSP platform, allowing you to load up different tools for different sound design opportunities. There may be other options like that but it's been a while since I looked.
+1 on playing around in VCV rack a while.
Sonax
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sonax »

revtor wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:54 pm Looks like a standard assortment of popular modules, sure to be fun.

Build this in vcv rack and try it before spending every money.
All right thank you, Vcv is a neat idea I’will try this out !
rolands wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:30 pm Cool idea Sonax. I got into modular to help me make fresh content for similar use cases as yourself. I used to own the 100 Grit, and although it sounded mean, I couldn't justify it as a mono distortion as well as the other distortion modules I have. As you seem to have some stereo modules in there already, if I were you I'd look into switching that out for a stereo FX module that offers you some CV controls over FX params and with options and range for sound design, maybe the the Ruina Versio? The RV runs on an open source DSP platform, allowing you to load up different tools for different sound design opportunities.
Thank you for your reply ! I’m definitively switching to the ruina versio thanks ! Would you mind to share me your setup or if you think of some module that bring interesting sounds ?
revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor »

If you are used to doing things in a DAW, I would look at the expert sleepers lineup to potentially make the workflow btwn sounds there and sounds in the modular more integrated. You may find a module that sparks an idea to make this endeavor more productive.
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic
Sonax
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sonax »

Thank you for the input, indeed the "FH-2 factorum" and "ES-9 USB audio interface" seems to be freaking cool !

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”