Best FM synth ?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Carl A
Common Wiggler

Re: Best FM synth ?

Post by Carl A »

+1 FM-8, deep rabbit hole but it is superb and unmatched imo.
gkillmaster
Common Wiggler

Post by gkillmaster »

gkillmaster wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:55 am
dropthedyle wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:22 am If you are an Ableton Live user, check the Fors FM synths, simple design and lot of FM (and PM) fun (https://fors.fm)
wow, thanks. Never heard of them. Ambidextrous Synthesizer from them looks intriguing.
I really appreciate this recommendation. These are so much better than they might first appear. Amazing and I think I'm going to pick up one of the sets.
gkillmaster
Common Wiggler

Post by gkillmaster »

Carl A wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:18 am +1 FM-8, deep rabbit hole but it is superb and unmatched imo.
Yeh, I think I agree. I keep coming back to it. Seems so logical and straight forward and extensive!
corex
scare the dog!

Post by corex »

I bought Phase Plant during a recent sale, and I've been really happy with it. I like that you can apply FM or PM (or both) to the wavetable oscillator and sampler as well. The modular approach and modulation options are really powerful.

I've used FM8 since it was FM7, and it's great but the modulation routing is really limited in comparison.
Dilibob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dilibob »

I use vcvrack 2 a lot now for this, has every option I need and in poly. Mirack isnt the best, but has a very good set of basic fm modules to learn the concepts. [ i btw have fm-8, but tend not to use it because I find vcvrack 2 easier to use & integrate with the other eurorack stuff).
Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs »

“Best” is fairly subjective. There are many takes on the DX-7 (plus) including the free one mentioned already. Komplete gives you FM-8, Arturia Collection V 9 gives you their own take on a model of the DX7, Korg OpSix emulates the KB (I have both) which is very cool but still has system-dependent CPU usage issues (probably avoid for now), Rob Papen Blue 2 is a good alternative that is mature and has a great preset library if you care plus a dedicated and responsive developer.

Phase Plant is a really cool modular environment that keeps getting better with every update.

“Workstation” software like Halion and Falcon have 4-Op FM modules.

If you want to emulate a DX7 with more outside something like Dexed, FM-8 is probably the way to go still.
----------------------------------------
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief »

FM8 has some friendly macro controls and a more flexible mod matrix rather than the classic algorithm selection, but OPS7 is a more accurate emulation.
wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler »

fm8's effects dont initially look like much - but im gobsmacked at how much work they're doing when i turn them all off to analyze a sound.
rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr »

Opsix Native 1.0.3 works perfectly for me. Previous versions had CPU issues related to the VST UI but now all is good on an M1 Max Macbook. I prefer it to the FM8 since it provides a great blend of FM and other forms of synthesis. But it's centered around FM operators which makes a lot of sense to me.
Out now, a six track EP showcasing Polyend Medusa's digital FM:

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler »

which other synthesis can you do on opsix? wavestate + opsix native are probably 2 of the most exciting synth VST things to come out i reckon :O

Return to “Music Software”