Musicality of the HH on 6m0d6

Support and discussion of Tubbutec products.

Moderators: Kent, tubbutec

antonriehl
Wiggling with Experience

Musicality of the HH on 6m0d6

Post by antonriehl »

The other day I was doing a little presentation on logic modules, and created a little HH pattern that sounded quite amazing! The group I was talking to was very impressed with the musical results.
First off, great job on this... the module sounds awesome!
Second: I was not sending dynamic triggers explicitly, but it felt a little bit like that. Is it possible that triggers close enough together will also change some of the dynamics of the HH?
I think the big question is how to re-create this feeling in the future, since it wasn't the focus of that conversation.

Thanks!
tubbutec
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Musicality of the HH on 6m0d6

Post by tubbutec »

Thanks a lot, very happy to hear you like the sound of the module :) !
antonriehl wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:42 pm I was not sending dynamic triggers explicitly, but it felt a little bit like that. Is it possible that triggers close enough together will also change some of the dynamics of the HH?
Yes! This is also the case in the original 606. The reason is lies in the way the envelopes for the hihats work:

A capacitor is charged by a short pulse and then slowly discharged through a resistor (simplified explanation). Here is the thing: The pulse combined with a series resistance is to short to charge the cap fully. BUT if you send another pulse while there is still some charge left in the cap, it will charge to a higher voltage.
I love this, because the result is quite similar to a real hihat/cymbal where multiple hits will create a louder sound - more energy in the system.
antonriehl
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Musicality of the HH on 6m0d6

Post by antonriehl »

Thanks for the fast reply! That is what we guessed what is happening, and it really makes the synth feel much more alive! Thanks for confirming!

Return to “Tubbutec”