Most aggressive and brutal distortion ever

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Pyrrhix
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Most aggressive and brutal distortion ever

Post by Pyrrhix »

carbonhazard wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:33 am
building wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:00 am dod corrosion
i have a metal x which is supposedly the same pedal, corrosion was just rebranded for the lamb series. it's pretty brutal, but not as brutal as a death metal. actually a boss odb-3 is harsher as well, but the metal x sounds better.
Is the Metal X similar at all to the ODB-3? I like running an ODB-3 into a Death Metal for the chunkiness that the ODB-3 produces. But it also does something else to the sound that I don't care for, as it introduces tinges of mid-scooped guitar metal tone that is hard to avoid.
De gustibus non est disputandum
https://bodytenant.bandcamp.com
carbonhazard
Common Wiggler

Post by carbonhazard »

Pyrrhix wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:14 pm
carbonhazard wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:33 am
building wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:00 am dod corrosion
i have a metal x which is supposedly the same pedal, corrosion was just rebranded for the lamb series. it's pretty brutal, but not as brutal as a death metal. actually a boss odb-3 is harsher as well, but the metal x sounds better.
Is the Metal X similar at all to the ODB-3? I like running an ODB-3 into a Death Metal for the chunkiness that the ODB-3 produces. But it also does something else to the sound that I don't care for, as it introduces tinges of mid-scooped guitar metal tone that is hard to avoid.
Both high gain but metal X has more character and nuance. Really great pedal for noise, buy one if you get the chance.
joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey »

showing off a few pedals here
Technologear?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Technologear? »

joey wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:50 am

showing off a few pedals here
I've watched this multiple times, rad work.
subduct
Common Wiggler

Post by subduct »

Telefone_529
Common Wiggler

Post by Telefone_529 »

Nobodies gonna mention Trogotronic? Idk I'd it's even distortion so much as just pure destruction of everything.

They have great stuff!
subduct
Common Wiggler

Post by subduct »

Telefone_529 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:07 pm Nobodies gonna mention Trogotronic? Idk I'd it's even distortion so much as just pure destruction of everything.
They have great stuff!
I'm with you on that. I have a 669cv and I love what it does. As well as screaming destruction it works well to slide a small amount of it into regular beat driven tracks for some unusual texture. Plus it has the best momentary buttons going I think.
I have 2x 'holy grail' eurorack modules and m666 black is one of them.
Pyrrhix
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pyrrhix »

subduct wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:17 am
Telefone_529 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:07 pm Nobodies gonna mention Trogotronic? Idk I'd it's even distortion so much as just pure destruction of everything.
They have great stuff!
I'm with you on that. I have a 669cv and I love what it does. As well as screaming destruction it works well to slide a small amount of it into regular beat driven tracks for some unusual texture. Plus it has the best momentary buttons going I think.
I have 2x 'holy grail' eurorack modules and m666 black is one of them.
The Trogotronic p77 pedal is a great (mostly) well-behaved tube distortion. Is sounds really great on dynamic sound sources, but I don't love it on more static noises and drones.

The 669cv shreds everything you put through it. It can be finnicky as hell, but has some really special sweet spots that sound texturally detailed in a way most straight distortions don't. Unlike the p77 it's great for processing more static sound sources as it reacts in interesting ways to subtle changes in the input signal.
De gustibus non est disputandum
https://bodytenant.bandcamp.com
peh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peh »

subduct wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:56 pm
Was just about to suggest this pedal. I have one and its freaking amazing. I'd love the Eurorack version as well but it seems hard to get hold of.
BringYourOwnAutoplayRule
subduct
Common Wiggler

Post by subduct »

The Great Destroyer
Really glad I hung on to mine now Dwarfcraft are no more...

wyrtti
Muffdiver's Helmet

Post by wyrtti »

Mountainking Electronics Frequency LSD is very wonderful and sharp sounding. Definitely cuts through. And it can self-oscillate.
Eschew obfuscation!
Feinstrom
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Feinstrom »

Feinstrom wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:21 am I have and use three different distortion units: a RAT 2 (plain bourbon vanilla, but just perfect for 303 purposes) and two really brutal units (but in completely different ways):

- Earthquaker Life Pedal ltd. edition in silver (very organic and big, like Godzilla crushing Tokyo just by trampling around and a bit of heat-ray thrown in for measure)

- Gamechanger Plasma Pedal (unhealthily sizzly, like a giant electric spider frying Silicon Valley with 3800 volt tasers)

Cheers,
Bert
I might add that I have another distortion unit, which is also quite aggressive and brutal in its own way: the DU HAST by AMT Electronics. It sounds exactly as the name suggests (that's why I bought it cheaply at a flea market - oh, and because it's orange!), but sadly the most brutal thing about it is the noise floor, which makes it nearly unusable except for, well, noise experiments.

Cheers,
Bert
dangayle
Common Wiggler

Post by dangayle »

You can't even hear anything above 20k, this is silly. Most audio systems will have some sort of low pass filter, and anything digital will have a filter to remove aliasing. What I would do is instead of focusing on that aspect, I'd focus on pedals that have extreme levels of DB boost or that include a feedback loop.
fruitsnake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fruitsnake »

I think it's been established that the "frequency response" concerns are a non-issue.

I'll throw the Devi Ever 4-knob Soda Meiser into the mix. It was the final distortion pedal I ever bought, and there were many that came before. The 4-knob version has voltage starve and ground lift knobs that let you dial in the gnarliest screeching oscillations and weird stuttering explosions that leave almost no trace of your audio material. It was the permanent cure for for my years of distortion GAS.

In Euro-land, I find that the Drezno/Jena combo yields the harshest, most brutal digital distortions I've ever heard. Cross-patch a few bits on Drezno, send some random cv to Jena's shape and phase controls and you'll be exploding anything in no time.

Return to “Synth Noise”