5/26/22 Release: The Cenotaph

Handmade synthesizer artifacts.

Moderators: Kent, zerosum

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

5/26/22 Release: The Cenotaph

Post by zerosum »

Just sent a bunch to Noisebug. They just arrived today, Give em a day or so to add them to their site.
Limited quantities available. Can be purchased when they add them to Noisebug website:
https://www.noisebug.net/collections/al ... um-inertia

The Cenotaph is device meant for processing modular level audio signals.
Line level or guitar level signals will work but need to be fed into a signal amplifier to get signal to modular levels before entering Cenotaph.
If low level signals are used the results will sound like a bit crusher and be less stable and predictable which sometimes sounds cool,
but overall it is recommended to stick with modular level signals like VCO waveforms straight out of the VCO.
The audio signal is fed into two 6CB6 pentodes then into a 4046 PLL and 4013 Divider.
Switchcraft 1/4” jacks and NOS military surplus tubes used.
Hand wired and through hole assembly, PCB manufacturing, enclosure drilling and metal work all done in USA.
For most stable results the left knob should be full clockwise/pointing to the right when third/right switch is in UP position. If center switch is in UP position then it doesn’t matter where left knob position is.
It is recommended to start with all 3 knobs in full clockwise position and all switches down.

Left knob controlls PLL level.
Left switch controls PLL behavior mode.
Center knob controls PLL frequency.
Center switch routes PLL INTO divider when up,
PLL and Divider are in parallel when center switch is down.
Right knob controls divider level.
Right switch selects divide down by 4 when down, divide by 2 when up.

Only use 12V DC Center positive + power source providing at least 1500 mA.
Use the power source that comes with Cenotaph.
Don’t sell the Cenotaph without including the power supply.
Don’t lose the power supply.
IMG_0060.JPEG
theEmbryoHunts
Learning to Wiggle

Re: 5/26/22 Release: The Cenotaph

Post by theEmbryoHunts »

Hey man, sorry if I'm way off base, but it seems the last 3 releases have been mainly PLL based and overlap in areas. What are the main differences?
zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum »

Seriously? I give up..
Did you watch the videos or read the post(s)?
Don't notice anything different?

Like one of them has 1 PLL and is a euro module, 1 has 2 PLLs in a pedal enclosure, one has a PLL and a Divider.
Various other interface differences.

Notice any difference in sound?

I'm not gonna do this every time. It is pretty easy to look and see what the differences are.
nomass
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nomass »

Got one of these on the way a from NB. Hope it’s as fun as it looks in the video !
theEmbryoHunts
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theEmbryoHunts »

zerosum wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:33 pm Seriously? I give up..
Did you watch the videos or read the post(s)?
Don't notice anything different?

Like one of them has 1 PLL and is a euro module, 1 has 2 PLLs in a pedal enclosure, one has a PLL and a Divider.
Various other interface differences.

Notice any difference in sound?

I'm not gonna do this every time. It is pretty easy to look and see what the differences are.
Sorry man, wasn't trying to offend. I love the sounds that all your gear creates. I'll be the first to admit that pll, while in macro overview makes sense to me, when we dive in closer I get lost fast. And yes the sounds were different, but it's hard to A/B youtube videos, especially when source and settings aren't super clear. Appreciate the info and I think I'll stick with my initial plan of experimenting with the PLX for now. Cheers.
nomass
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nomass »

For a dead thing this thing is alive! Holy shit ... which is to say orbit3, this thing, databender can melt your brain ... .
zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum »

can melt your brain ... .
:hihi: :zombie: Thanks! Yeah it is really crazy how the 4046 and 4013 interact and glitch out.
The 4013 and 4046 together are really the main event here, not so much something to be looked at separately.
The way the two interact is what separates it from everything else.
Also that suboctave rules!

There was a popular(actually a few) guitar fuzz that used a 4013 that glitched things out in a similar way,
but it didn't have a dual tube gain stage or PLL in the equation.

It's kinda like few things bred and out came this thing...

All Switches down, all knobs full right, Favorite VCO or dual VCO's FMing into Cenotaph in is a glitchy space invaders masterpiece! :party:

Return to “Zerosum Inertia”