Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Allen Strange's Electronic Music... do you want a copy?

Print copy for under $100 USD plus shipping
22%
Print copy for under $50 USD plus shipping
57%
E-copy at a reasonable price
21%

Total votes: 892

fumblesmcdrum
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Post by fumblesmcdrum »

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
galanter2
Wiggling with Experience

Post by galanter2 »

I have a copy of the Allen Strange book I bought directly from him in .pdf form. Its quality (in terms of imaging) is OK.

It's very much a book of its time. It's a snapshot of how electronic music was done decades ago, and most of those ideas can still be used today.

But if one is looking for "the missing manual" for their Eurorack (or other contemporary) system, I recommend "Notes on Modular Synthesis" by Peter Elsea. It's a print on demand thing here: https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/peter-e ... qr6ep.html

I don't mean to rain on the Allen Strange parade here. There's room for both in the world. But for most contemporary modular synthesists I think the Elsea book is probably more useful. A bargain at $20.
elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil »

Do you also go into "for sale" threads here and tell people they should get other modules than the ones that are being sold?

I mean seriously. Anyone excited in this thread knows what the Allen Strange book is. I also think you give it very short shrift. Peter's book is a good one (I have a copy myself) but it's ultimately pretty basic. There are some very advanced techniques to learn from the Strange book that Peter gets nowhere near.
galanter2
Wiggling with Experience

Post by galanter2 »

elmegil wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:18 pm Do you also go into "for sale" threads here and tell people they should get other modules than the ones that are being sold?

I mean seriously. Anyone excited in this thread knows what the Allen Strange book is. I also think you give it very short shrift. Peter's book is a good one (I have a copy myself) but it's ultimately pretty basic. There are some very advanced techniques to learn from the Strange book that Peter gets nowhere near.
"I don't mean to rain on the Allen Strange parade here. There's room for both in the world."

But I would disagree that Peter Elsea's book is somehow lacking depth. It focuses on principles rather than (now dated) specific devices. But don't confuse having a lot of particular details for conceptual depth. Anyone on this board who fully absorbs the Peter Elsea book will not find these "very advanced techniques" in the Strange book as being particularly revelatory.

My best advice...get both!
elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil »

"I don't mean to rain on the Allen Strange parade here. There's room for both in the world."
And yet here you are telling everyone that Allen Strange's book is out of date and they should get something else that you consider to be superior.

Again: Do you also go into "for sale" threads here and tell people they should get other modules than the ones that are being sold?

If this were a conversation about "what books to you recommend to learn about synthesis", your commentary would be 100% on topic and I'd have no reason to call you out.

In a thread about a kickstarter for a specific book, you're just being an ass.
MarilynMonroe
Common Wiggler

Post by MarilynMonroe »

galanter2 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:30 pm I have a copy of the Allen Strange book I bought directly from him in .pdf form. Its quality (in terms of imaging) is OK.

It's very much a book of its time. It's a snapshot of how electronic music was done decades ago, and most of those ideas can still be used today.

But if one is looking for "the missing manual" for their Eurorack (or other contemporary) system, I recommend "Notes on Modular Synthesis" by Peter Elsea. It's a print on demand thing here: https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/peter-e ... qr6ep.html

I don't mean to rain on the Allen Strange parade here. There's room for both in the world. But for most contemporary modular synthesists I think the Elsea book is probably more useful. A bargain at $20.
wtf is this? Are you kidding? All fans of the Allen Strange book know exactly what they expect. And we will no other book. Shame on you. Open sour own thread if sou will advertise something else. Go ahead…
--
in Love
MarilynMonroe
galanter2
Wiggling with Experience

Post by galanter2 »

In the circles I travel in people commonly suggest books and other texts to other people. It's considered being helpful.

It's only advertising if the poster stands to gain something from it. I do not.

I'm really happy that the Strange book will be available again. But let's not act like we've uncovered a sacred text and all non-believers must be punished. It's a book, and there are other books too.
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

There are separate threads for books and patching resources, let's please keep this one on-topic (although sharing other books is very much appreciated outside of this thread!)
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

galanter2 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:30 pm But if one is looking for "the missing manual" for their Eurorack (or other contemporary) system, I recommend "Notes on Modular Synthesis" by Peter Elsea. It's a print on demand thing here: https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/peter-e ... qr6ep.html

LOTS of room for more books on the bookshelf. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into getting it.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.
JES
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by JES »

Buying two books is cheaper than buying two modules and people tell people to do that all the time.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23
BWBKc6VyUr
Common Wiggler

Post by BWBKc6VyUr »

[deleted: was responding to someone’s message that I’d misread]
WTB:
Veils (pre-2020)
TipTop stackable cables (cyan/yellow/blue)

FS:
Arturia Beatstep Pro (white) - £150 + shipping
Antumbra 6MIX - £75 + shipping
Kassutronics Slope 2 - £110 + shipping
tailwagger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tailwagger »

:popcorn:
On the keyboard
eklkrl
Common Wiggler

Post by eklkrl »

j450nn014n wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:53 am Allen Strange's Electronic Music Systems is back! This is the hardcover test print, and it looks great! Kickstarter here we come!
IMG_7572.jpegIMG_7573.jpeg
Looks amazing, can't wait!
Tonefloat01
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 »

JES wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:10 am Buying two books is cheaper than buying two modules and people tell people to do that all the time.
Indeed!
I took the chance and ordered it…
I’ll take the risk for $20, there might be some good information in it.
Still down for the hardcover Strange book as well when that launches on Kickstarter.
The space you occupy determines the time you live in.
Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes »

Tonefloat01 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:57 pm
JES wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:10 am Buying two books is cheaper than buying two modules and people tell people to do that all the time.
Indeed!
Still down for the hardcover Strange book as well when that launches on Kickstarter.
It's no risk, it's a nice book, full of useful well-organised information. I'm fairly sure that most people are more than capable of enjoying both. It will be lovely to have access to a hardback copy of the Allen Strange book again though, really looking forward to it- partly just for the pleasure of having it to leaf through. So delighted that this seems to be getting close to fruition.
jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio »

I have Pelsea's book and it is great.

I also have Roland's wonderful (seriously!) "The Synthesizer" books from 1979.

Will 100% order the Strange book. Multiple perspectives bring more insight
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!
fumblesmcdrum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fumblesmcdrum »

Just ordered the Elsea book and am (im)patiently waiting for the kickstarter announcement! lets gooooooooo
Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 »

fumblesmcdrum wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:56 pmJust ordered the Elsea book and am (im)patiently waiting for the kickstarter announcement! lets gooooooooo
Haha, that could be my post :mrgreen: , as in:
I also ordered the Peter Elsea book yesterday and can't wait for the Allen Strange book :hyper: as well.
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?
MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine »

Indeed!
There was never a hardcover Strange book as far as I know. All paperback - style.
Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes »

MindMachine wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:01 am
Indeed!
There was never a hardcover Strange book as far as I know. All paperback - style.
They're talking about the kickstarter, which is planned to offer a hardcover variant.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

Kattefjaes wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:05 am
MindMachine wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:01 am
Indeed!
They're talking about the kickstarter, which is planned to offer a hardcover variant.
Yep. There was no PDF version back then either... we'll have all three formats, hard, soft and PDF.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.
oblis
...sigh...

Post by oblis »

MindMachine wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:01 am There was never a hardcover Strange book as far as I know. All paperback - style.
There was a hardcover version that I checked out several times from the UT Austin library years ago.
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

oblis wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:03 pm
MindMachine wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:01 am There was never a hardcover Strange book as far as I know. All paperback - style.
There was a hardcover version that I checked out several times from the UT Austin library years ago.
Many libraries do this in-house -quasi-hardcover binding- to better preserve the -mostly- reference books for a longer life with multiple users. It was part of my job when i worked at a country library. It's part of nearly every university library as they need to have the resource available for their own faculty generated worls and graduate theses.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.
southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths »

oblis wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:03 pm
Yeah the copy I checked out from Upenn, which maybe was the Yale copy had this exactly, the soft cover pages within the library hard board.
fumblesmcdrum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fumblesmcdrum »

Same with my university. I had it checked out for so long it went into collections. The fine for replacement was....$100. I did the right thing and brought it back, but told them they should probably put the book in special collections because it's worth several times that much. The undergrad at the desk didn't seem to care.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”