Polyend Play

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Polyend Play

Post by stickman »

New sampler from polyend.. looking forward to seeing more! #hype

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2022/05/le ... th-22.html

metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Polyend Play

Post by metamorphmuses »

I first saw this mentioned in a Deluge group on Facebook. It also makes me think of the upcoming Squarp Hapax.

It's going to be interesting to compare all three devices when more information and demos come out.
Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost »

Sounds a bit emmm cheesy?
Let’s see what it is actually, but I don’t expect top q pro machine, more like another “fun to play” gadget…
Back Down the Path
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path »

Pretty awful demo of the sonic capabilities of the machine, but obviously a sampler is only as good as the samples you start with (and then what the sampler can do to manipulate them).
Loads of stuff for sale here (PA/US).
UnsolicitedDuckPics
Common Wiggler

Post by UnsolicitedDuckPics »

Optimistic.

But when I see a layout like that, all I see are bottom combos and shortcuts that I'm never going to memorize. My brain doesn't have room for more. I like the sounds I get from my Tracker (hard not to compare), but the workflow kind of kills it for me. It just bounces off my thick skull.
saulbass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by saulbass »

'bottom combos'!!
UnsolicitedDuckPics
Common Wiggler

Post by UnsolicitedDuckPics »

saulbass wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:00 am 'bottom combos'!!
*wink wink*
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi »

Back Down the Path wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:43 am a sampler is only as good as the samples you start with (and then what the sampler can do to manipulate them).
well, yes... and no
not all samplers sounds the same, even with the same samples loaded
I found the Tracker to sound a bit thin, and this demo doesn´t help to believe that this one will sound different
MoonPoly
Common Wiggler

Post by MoonPoly »

anselmi wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:30 pm
Back Down the Path wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:43 am a sampler is only as good as the samples you start with (and then what the sampler can do to manipulate them).
well, yes... and no
I found the Tracker to sound a bit thin, and this demo doesn´t help to believe that this one will sound different
Hmmm..watching a side by side video of The Akai and Polyend Tracker ... the Akai sounded significantly bigger but this is not a 1st hand account,.. can someone confirm who has them both?
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stickman »

MoonPoly wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:50 pm
anselmi wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:30 pm
well, yes... and no
Hmmm..watching a side by side video of The Akai and Polyend Tracker ... the Akai sounded significantly bigger but this is not a 1st hand account,.. can someone confirm who has them both?
The tracker has a lofi-esque character there's no escaping from. But it has EQ options, a limiter and so on, that are extremely straightforward to use. You can get a decent sound if you embrace it, as many online have. My understanding is, this sound is an intentional choice in the spirit of its heritage so I wouldn't assume the new sampler will sound the same.

The tracker imo is not as conventionally good sounding as the Akais, but it is alot simpler/quicker. You could also say the Akais can be bland sounding without work, esp if sampling and processing samples on board. There's a vast number of options but they aren't as fun, extensive or good sounding as most DAWs (my comparisons being Reason, Logic, Renoise and various iPad apps).
everydaycurry
Veteran Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry »

Videos starting to go up - 8 track groovebox, no sampling, the design emphasis is heavily on generative/randomness.
The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist »

Hey there folks ! Tune in with me this afternoon for some info on the machine, you can come say hi or ask questions in the chatroom if you want:

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol »

Reviews incoming..

Gaun Yersel!
Back Down the Path
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path »

The rare occasion where I almost immediately realize a sampler is not for me and I probably will never own it. This might be the first time, so perhaps this is what it feels like to grow up.

This is a cool little jam box that I’m sure I could spend hours tweaking but if people complained about the I/O on the Syntakt…

No time stretch or pitch shifting is a head scratcher. I’m guess they at least add the synth engines form the tracker but right now it’s just a sample player.

It does seem to be a *very* nice MIDI sequencer, however.
Loads of stuff for sale here (PA/US).
DOTSmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by DOTSmusic »

I enjoyed Loopop's vid. Here's another, much different persepective, from Benn Jordan. Which I also enjoyed.
I'm interested in this little machine.

Listen

Click on them lankz below!

SpotifyEargasmic RecordingsMy DJ Mixes pt. 1My DJ Mixes pt. 2Instagram
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi »

can´t believe it doesn´t have modulators like LFOs and envelopes
mat1
Common Wiggler

Post by mat1 »

This thing looks incredible as a "curation" device. Basically does the exact thing I put my rack together to do - give me loads of interesting material to work with. Don't think I'd want to complete a whole song on it though!
Exiannyc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Exiannyc »

Its nice to see an instrument designer think carefully about the process of creating and interacting with a piece of music, developing it over time, and then taking it farther to the point where you can use the instrument to creatively perform variations in a live setting in front of an audience. And then developing an instrument that supports each step of that process.
Last edited by Exiannyc on Sat May 14, 2022 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
fruitsnake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fruitsnake »

I'm curious to see if they got the firmware on this thing working better than Tracker's was when it was released. Any early adopters notice any serious bugs?
everydaycurry
Veteran Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry »

Loopop didn't even have final firmware in his unit, they're not shipping until July.
fruitsnake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fruitsnake »

Word; I guess we'll just wait and see. To Polyend's credit, they did get everything on the Tracker functional and added a lot of nice features in the end.
1040df
Common Wiggler

Post by 1040df »

Meh..
Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes »

Not doing it for me, but then, I had an early revision Tracker which left a sour taste. Not looking to be an early adopter of anything Polyend any time soon, no matter how many influencers enthuse about freebies ;)
forestcaver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by forestcaver »

Kattefjaes wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:34 pm I had an early revision Tracker which left a sour taste. Not looking to be an early adopter of anything Polyend any time soon
Totally agree!
fruitsnake wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:10 pm they did get everything on the Tracker functional and added a lot of nice features in the end.
Not sure that I agree with you totally on this one. Even basic stuff like export is still buggy but they are claiming (again) that it is fixed in the latest beta (although latest bug reports on export show it is now crashing in the beta). How about MTP transfer ?
Jeezman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jeezman »

nice box, gives elektron a nice run :)

Return to “General Gear”