Bitwig - The Grid

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Bitwig - The Grid

Post by j_dowe »

Maybe I'm a sucker, but at a glance I'm totally drawn into this:

[video][/video]

Another good look (from an earlier version):

[video][/video]
fishphacurr
Common Wiggler

Post by fishphacurr »

I'm surprised this thread isn't getting any comments... or maybe those using v3.0 are busy making music, and don't want to take a break to talk about it :hihi:

I'm thinking about renewing my plan again, currently stuck on 2.4.2. This looks pretty damn cool to me.
SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX »

It works very good and sounds awesome too. Even the audiorate modulations. And it's poly if you want to, very impressive. The workflow is extremely well thought out...
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo
Corrupt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Corrupt »

This is the new Nord Modular.
grillo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grillo »

this looks super cool. I love that it doesn't really try to mimic modular hardware but it's got it's own way of working and doing things.

such a golden age of musical tools.
pspiralife
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Bitwig - The Grid

Post by pspiralife »

Gday Polygrid & FX grid users!

I am totally in love with Poly Grid!
It was the perfect modular environment for me to be able to take the time to figure out whether the modular way of approaching sound design and music was enjoyable enough for me to justify giving in to the allure of spending thousands of dollars on Eurorack.

I have not looked back.

In fact, I think I've used my brain for problem-solving more since I got into modular than I ever did in any other subject in my life.

I have come to enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to emulate Eurorack modules in poly grid as a way to test a module's feature out before buying the real thing.

So my question to everyone in this thread is this...

Would anyone here be interested in the task of building a polygrid version of a euro rack module such as Mutable instruments Marbles, or Maths?

I sure am. And I have had some success in recreating similar isolated aspects of Marbles and Maths so far. (I should add that I am not even close to creating every feature contained within those real modules.)

I never had any background in Logic and hated the idea of using mathematics in high school. But now I finally have a reason to be interested in Logic & mathematics. (although I am still very new to it all). I have more or less memorized most of the standard boolean logic gates and made a little use of the mathematics-based logic modules in poly grid.

I hope to come across anyone that would find this idea exciting, and hopefully, I could even find a mentor in here or at least be directed to someone that can help me continue to learn more advanced modular patch design.

I personally think a great place to begin would be one of these...

1. Build a polygrid "bouncing ball" patch such as the examples in this make-noise video.

2. Build a polygrid "Turing machine" and random phrase locking /random gate & cv generator all in one like Marbles.

3. Build a polygrid Krell patch

Thanks !
Note to self: read manuals more.
Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun »

This series of tutorials is absolute gold... Taches Teaches The Grid 101. I find him very watchable as opposed to many Youtube channels which for some reason I just can't abide.

In fact, to be honest this series has taught me way more about modular synthesis in general than just using the grid, logic and comparators for example.
jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc »

pspiralife wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:36 pm... Build a polygrid "bouncing ball" patch such as the examples in this make-noise video.
looks like a complete waste of time, and sounds like crap in those examples. nice "science project", but that video shows pretty well how completely up it's own ass "modular" is.

pretty surprised that the Make Noise guy didn't know that Aphex Twin achieved this by using sample loop point modulation:

anyway, looks like the new v4.1 'Dribble' Note FX handles this exact thing in a much more musically useful manner.

Last edited by jbuonacc on Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc »

Tun wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:31 pm This series of tutorials is absolute gold... Taches Teaches The Grid 101. I find him very watchable as opposed to many Youtube channels which for some reason I just can't abide.
love his videos for the content and how he actually is a great "teacher", but that dude drives me absolutely nuts. "droll millenial" is what comes to mind listening to him talk.

there's something about a lot of these 20-35 year old (??) guys that i can't stand. the biggest thing with a lot of them is that you know they grew up listening to crap generic music, and i can't help but feel like they're all into electronic music as some lame passive hobby. like all they listen to are those "tech house 2019 mix" videos.
Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun »

Maybe I like him as he’s a Brit and so am I.
Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun »

New in 4.2 - Note grid!

Ears
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ears »

Tun wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:45 am New in 4.2 - Note grid!

I downloaded the beta last night. Pretty cool stuff! Especially enjoying for creating polyrhythms in an intuitive way.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

goddamn. i just emailed a friend bemoaning the fact that you can't send out midi cc, but it's there! there is a controller out, as well as a controller in module.

i find bidule very intimidating (really just starting out), but this grid is fucking great! So much to learn here, and yeah - the internal sequencer sounds excellent, but like i have all of these cool hardware synths.

i find myself regretting far less now that i sold my g2 a couple of years ago.
weirdo
Common Wiggler

Post by weirdo »

How is the latency with cv-signals? ive read something about the cv-in/out device adding like 60ms in a roundtrip:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=557822

I really like Bitwig (still testing) but i think about how to reduce..."avoid" latency as much as possible.

Is it somehow possible to use Operators (Occurrence, Recurrence etc.) in Realtime for incomming/external midi or cv?
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief »

I just use the hardware I/O modules instead, where there's no extra latency. I'm honestly not sure why CV is a separate module.

I haven't experimented with the note grid stuff yet. I have high hopes for it though.
ZECHS
Common Wiggler

Post by ZECHS »

Bitwig is making a good case for me to jump over from Cubase.
OrganismicLifeform
Common Wiggler

Post by OrganismicLifeform »

Am I being thick or does the grid not come in the basic version of bitwig? I’m finding it hard to see it on the website.
BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights »

OrganismicLifeform wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:17 am Am I being thick or does the grid not come in the basic version of bitwig? I’m finding it hard to see it on the website.
Grid doesn't come with the less expensive version.
OrganismicLifeform
Common Wiggler

Post by OrganismicLifeform »

Thanks! I’ll check out the demo — hopefully it’s included there.

Return to “Music Software”