Simulating reverb with a multi-tap delay

Post your patches here! Put the format(s) in the subject.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ldd23
Common Wiggler

Simulating reverb with a multi-tap delay

Post by ldd23 »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that reverb in a space is caused by multiple short delays of sound waves bouncing off of walls, objects, etc. So we could sort of simulate that with a multi-tap delay with the right delay lengths and attenuation, right?

Does anybody have patch advice for doing this?
Wavtekt
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Simulating reverb with a multi-tap delay

Post by Wavtekt »

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... sis-delays

Buy a Accutronics Belton BTDR-2H brick and a module that use the brick e.g. MTM Spring Reverb MKII and call it a day.

By the way, multi-tap delay sounds crude compared to real reverbs and it doesn't work well in short percussive sounds.
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

You can get reverb-ish settings but will likely still hear the individual delay lines. Smearing them with a filter helps.

But for a convincing reverb you would need probably dozens of taps. And for the taps to feedback on each other. Using a dedicated reverb just makes more sense.
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

Funny this should come up now. I almost 'never' go to the E-M forum but did yesterday and saw something that might be applicable.

Over on the Electro-music forum in the DIY section EM member Grumble has a 'delay' module they call FlangED that serves as a pseudo reverb. There's a video and schematic. Uses a 1024 BBD MN3207 with a 3102 CLK. Simple circuit.

The thread there was started by abovenyquist -who is a professor teaching synthesis classes in GA, USA.

I think both Grumble and abovenyquist are members here too under those same names/ :hmm:

The module is Euro and has a 3DPrinted panel. five knobs, three jacks.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.
brandnewmath
Common Wiggler

Post by brandnewmath »

Wasn't something like this the idea behind the Earthquaker Afterneath pedal/module?
Ashley Pomeroy
Common Wiggler

Post by Ashley Pomeroy »

I have a Strymon El Capistan tape delay simulation pedal, and with short-but-dense delays with lots of modulation the end result sounds like a very thick reverb. E.g. this demo clip from Strymon at 59 seconds, or at about five minutes the "dirty multi head" example.

I wonder if you could do the same thing with the Doepfer A-188 or Erica Synths BBD, or something that has CV-controllable delay elements so that you can randomise the delay time.
Snufflepuff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Snufflepuff »

ldd23 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:52 pm Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that reverb in a space is caused by multiple short delays of sound waves bouncing off of walls, objects, etc. So we could sort of simulate that with a multi-tap delay with the right delay lengths and attenuation, right?

Does anybody have patch advice for doing this?
You'd need a half-dozen multi delays, and a ton of mixers and mults— each delay has to process a delayed signal that has also been previously even more delayed by another delay, then sent to another delay, etc. You'd want to modulate the delay times as well.
nuromantix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nuromantix »

All the nay sayers are right but just try it anyway. A load of different short echoes with some feedback. It won't sound like a real space but has some vibe that you might like. I do it quite often.
Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble »

KSS wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:50 am Funny this should come up now. I almost 'never' go to the E-M forum but did yesterday and saw something that might be applicable.

Over on the Electro-music forum in the DIY section EM member Grumble has a 'delay' module they call FlangED that serves as a pseudo reverb. There's a video and schematic. Uses a 1024 BBD MN3207 with a 3102 CLK. Simple circuit.

The thread there was started by abovenyquist -who is a professor teaching synthesis classes in GA, USA.

I think both Grumble and abovenyquist are members here too under those same names/ :hmm:

The module is Euro and has a 3DPrinted panel. five knobs, three jacks.

This…
atomd
Common Wiggler

Post by atomd »

Simplest reverb simulation (one of earliest and crudest) as parallel connection of few feeding back delays and then series connection of few more to spread transients. And even this simplest case can't be simulated by just one delay + feedback but you'd need multiple independent delay lines or one but with few signal inputs along the line.
deltasleep
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deltasleep »

Honestly you can go a long way with a two-tap delay. One short and one longer. Does it sound like a GOOD reverb? No. But it definitely models a "space" in the loosest sense. The SOMA Lyra8 FX can do a pretty good job of this - especially with a little self modulation on the longer delay line!
timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka »

i tried simulating a reverb sound with the d0 delay, filters and feedback patching:

i like the effect, but it's not really a reverb, it still sounds like delays.
"why should it be required to put a moderated decision in context...?" - a moderator

Return to “Synthesis Techniques”