24V vs 20V input for HammerPWR

Eurorack and so much more from Slovakia.

Moderators: Kent, Konstant Lab, mnchrme, Kent, Konstant Lab, mnchrme

onefoursix
Learning to Wiggle

24V vs 20V input for HammerPWR

Post by onefoursix »

Hello! I just installed a HammerPWR and it works great! I'm using a Meanwell GST120A20-P1M power brisk (20 Volt) though it looks like HammerPWR also accepts 24 Volt input like the Meanwell GST120A24-P1M. Would there be any benefit in switching to the 24 Volt brick?

Thank you!
mnchrme
Wiggling with Experience

Re: 24V vs 20V input for HammerPWR

Post by mnchrme »

onefoursix wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:15 pm Hello! I just installed a HammerPWR and it works great! I'm using a Meanwell GST120A20-P1M power brisk (20 Volt) though it looks like HammerPWR also accepts 24 Volt input like the Meanwell GST120A24-P1M. Would there be any benefit in switching to the 24 Volt brick?

Thank you!
Hey CXLVI,

a nice reference. Sorry for the late reply. Glad to hear you have not run into any issues and everything works smoothly. For HammerPWR we recommend using the 120W power brick (Meanwell GST120A-P1M) and you will be completely fine using one. A gold standard. Basically, the one you have stated you are currently using.

HammerPWR can truly be powered in the range of 20V-24V. GST120A20-P1M is a gold standard in that regard which is also a universal power supply for our other power supplies -> e.g. 2x BoardPWR connected in parallel on the input and connected to one power brick via one switch and connector for instance. That works well. :tu:

GST120A24-P1M is perfectly fine for HammerPWR. We are actually currently shipping it with recent orders of the HammerPWR, as the GST120A20-P1M now has extremely long conveyance/supply times. The situation with these was quite bad for the last half-year of passed time.

24V brick has no practical benefits for HammerPWR.

The only advantage (not very substantial) of the GST120A24-P1M for HammerPWR is that at higher voltages, slightly lower currents flow through the switch and the power connector. Since power = voltage x current. Therefore, current = power/voltage. If you increase the voltage, the current will decrease while maintaining the power... :-). Sometimes it is very interesting how one thing influences the other, even in physics! :love:

When the GST120A20-P1M becomes more readily available again we will only use those for the whole range. It is tested, well-performing and reliable. Right now we have only a few GST120A20-P1M in stock on our e-shop, and we only ship them when someone wants them specifically to pair them in conjunction with 2x BoardPWR or 2x StrongPWR -> because those power supplies can't take 24V permanently long on the input. So it is a safe choice and no one runs into any issues or sudden surprises.

I hope I have clarified your concern/question/curiosity in detail. :-). If anything else piques your interest just ask away. :party:

I am curious myself though. For the past couple of seasons, I was testing our PSU design in various combinations, situations, setups, etc... what is the setup you use it in? Did you go with a SET or combination? Compatibility with other solutions is supported.

Have fun with your rig! :goo:
onefoursix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by onefoursix »

Hi mnchrme - thank you very much for your detailed reply!!! Glad I can stick with the 20V Meanwell bricks. I wired up the HammerPWR to 4 Genus Modu LIBB's to cover 4 rows (12U) of 104HP. Each of the two HammerPWR outputs are split to 2 bus boards in parallel. All the lights come on; I'll stuff it with modules tomorrow :-)

Thank you again for your complete answer!

Mark
mnchrme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mnchrme »

onefoursix wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:07 am Hi mnchrme - thank you very much for your detailed reply!!! Glad I can stick with the 20V Meanwell bricks. I wired up the HammerPWR to 4 Genus Modu LIBB's to cover 4 rows (12U) of 104HP. Each of the two HammerPWR outputs are split to 2 bus boards in parallel. All the lights come on; I'll stuff it with modules tomorrow :-)

Thank you again for your complete answer!

Mark

Hey Mark,

we are bearers of the same name! :lol: I highly recommend some Marcus Aurelius. As for the listed setup I think you’ll be completely fine running it with the Genus Modu LIBB distribution. 4 rows of 12U in my case meant roughly 42-48 modules including some passive modules to fill up blank spaces. A digital/mostly analog setup. A lot of filters. I was sustaining that with 45W per two rows x 2 and I still had plenty of headroom on the PSUs. You should be totally fine. Indications are great. They can guide you if something will be in a wrong place to begin with. Not sure if you filled it up already or not, but it is good to go one by one. Power off, power on. That way you’ll be 100% safe. :-)) :sb:

Best Regards

mnchrme
onefoursix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by onefoursix »

It works great with everything powered up! A great power supply; couldn't be happier with it. I love the WAGO spring terminals as well, makes hooking it up really easy. Thanks again... 5A on +12 and 2.5A on -12 should hold me for a while! :-)
mnchrme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mnchrme »

onefoursix wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:49 pm It works great with everything powered up! A great power supply; couldn't be happier with it. I love the WAGO spring terminals as well, makes hooking it up really easy. Thanks again... 5A on +12 and 2.5A on -12 should hold me for a while! :-)
Hey mate,

we are very glad to hear that, really! Plenty of power, yeah. If you ever ran into some issues or wanted to ask something you know where to find me. :-)

Best Regards

mnchrme
onefoursix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by onefoursix »

please ignore - I moved this question to a new thread and was not able to delete this message
mnchrme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mnchrme »

onefoursix wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:11 pm please ignore - I moved this question to a new thread and was not able to delete this message
No worries man. Hope you are good. :-).

Return to “Konstant Lab”