Glitch Storm MK2: A DIY Bitranger-Bytebeasque-Chiptunethingo

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Glitch Storm MK2: A DIY Bitranger-Bytebeasque-Chiptunethingo

Post by what gives? »

SphericalSound wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:52 am I thought on putting it too. Hardware side is dead easy, the problem is how do you implement it in code. You reset the time variable on every tick?
Or add a power of 2 on every tick (like 256 or 2048).
Thanks for your feedback!

How is the analog tempo pot value implemented for controlling tempo as it is now? I have no experience in dabbling with bytebeat code, but my initial idea was that if you're able to control the tempo with a continuous pot value, wouldn't it be possible to use clock triggers for determining the tempo?

With a clock in jack I could convert this bad boy into a eurorack module, which would be awesome.
mangros
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mangros »

(disclaimer: I've only been fiddling with this code for a day)

You could set the sample rate by processing the time between clock signals and producing a value range similar to the tempo pot, but the sample rate doesn't have a direct relation with the length of the 'pattern'. The length of the pattern depends on the equation and the variables from the other pots.

So a clock-based sample rate would control the speed of the pattern, not force it to reset.
Futuristic fonts: http://disasterfonts.co.uk
SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound »

Yeah, really is a question of trying this 2 approaches, what I say, and what mangros says and see if it works...

Sometimes you get a totally diferent thing that you were planning but is fantastic and imprevisible and is where the magic lies, so just try!!
soggybag
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soggybag »

Just got this working on the breadboard.

What do the four LEDs do? Seems like they might be showing which algorithm is running? The don’t light up or only the first two show faintly. Seems like those 15k resistors might to too large?

Super fun project, great sounds! I would recommend this to anyone wanting to play with the arduino.
2AE7E58E-74F5-420B-ACE3-85A243EDC17A.jpeg
chaosium
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chaosium »

Any PCBs still available?
SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound »

soggybag wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:19 pm Just got this working on the breadboard.

What do the four LEDs do? Seems like they might be showing which algorithm is running? The don’t light up or only the first two show faintly. Seems like those 15k resistors might to too large?

Super fun project, great sounds! I would recommend this to anyone wanting to play with the arduino.

2AE7E58E-74F5-420B-ACE3-85A243EDC17A.jpeg

Super cool.

Yeah, the leds shows the number of the algorithm. Depending on the led type, you probably want to use lower resistors, try 4k or 1k till you find the bright you like
SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound »

chaosium wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:14 pm Any PCBs still available?
Yeah, theres pcbs, and kits available
Distropolis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Distropolis »

@Sphericalsound

Just ordered one on tindie!

Is there a hard limit of 16 algos?

What is the clock out for? Syncing to modular?

Is the audio output stereo … like a different algo for L & R?

Thanks!
joem
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joem »

I'm not spherical, but I think I can help with these questions...
Distropolis wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:38 pm Is there a hard limit of 16 algos?
Depends on what you mean, I guess. The only way to add or remove algorithms is by editing the code, so in that sense, yes it's hard limit. But if you edit the code you can add more. The part of the program that does the switching keeps track of which number algorithm you're on in a byte, so that's either a max of 255 or of 127 (I can't remember if byte is signed or not in arduino). So you can add more without doing much else to the code pretty easily, up to one of those limits, though there aren't enough LEDs to show all the program numbers past 16. (You'll need to update the totalPrograms value to match how many algorithms you have.) Beyond that, you could just edit the code further and make the byte be a long or something if you need even more algorithms. At some point program size is a concern, and I haven't compiled it for a while so I can't remember just how much space an algorithm adds typically, but it's probably not too much, so you can probably easily add a bunch more algorithms without a problem there.
What is the clock out for? Syncing to modular?
Yes, or anything else that takes a sync pulse, like a Pocket Operator for example.
Is the audio output stereo … like a different algo for L & R?
It's stereo only in that there's a signal coming out the left and the right, but they're the exact same signal. There's not a different algorithm for left and right.
Distropolis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Distropolis »

Cool. I plan to add some more via modifying the firmware. Maybe I’ll repurpose the LEDs.

Where does the clock come from? What is the Glitch Storm using to determine clock pulses? The sample rate? There isn’t a “tempo” per say is there?
SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound »

Thanks Joem, it´s all right.

Yes, the clock it comes from the sample rate, there are some divisions and you can get power of 2 or square of 2 divisions of the clock dead easy.

If you find/tweak some cool equations, please share!
ChickenSaviour
1-Post Wiggler

Post by ChickenSaviour »

SphericalSound wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:52 am If you have the MK2 you can use one of the programable i/o to read the clock in
I would love it if the glitch storm could receive some sort of clock /sync in. This sentance makes it seem like it is possible!
Please excuse my ignorance, but how would I go about 'using one of the programmable i/o' s to read the clock in? If someone could point me to a resource that explains it to me, that would be fantastic.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”