Ableton alternative to Data Bender

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Nidopallium
Common Wiggler

Ableton alternative to Data Bender

Post by Nidopallium »

I really love the sound of the Qubit Data Bender module but I am convinced I can replicate it using Ableton Suite.

Has anyone got any convincing tricks or ideas?
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ableton alternative to Data Bender

Post by dubonaire »

Nidopallium wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:08 am I really love the sound of the Qubit Data Bender module but I am convinced I can replicate it using Ableton Suite.

I'm not intending to be rude but you really should spend some more time getting to know Live. Beat Repeat, Auto Pan, all the delays, Dynamic Tube, Echo, Erosion, Frequency Shifter, Looper, Redux, Spectral Time. Just drop 'em in the chain and go for it. You can go far beyond what Data Bender does.
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

^Yeah loads of options in Live natively, especially once you start automating parameters.

And there’s always the Glitch VST in if you prefer having everything all in one plugin.
Nidopallium
Common Wiggler

Post by Nidopallium »

dubonaire wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:30 am
Nidopallium wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:08 am I really love the sound of the Qubit Data Bender module but I am convinced I can replicate it using Ableton Suite.

I'm not intending to be rude but you really should spend some more time getting to know Live. Beat Repeat, Auto Pan, all the delays, Dynamic Tube, Echo, Erosion, Frequency Shifter, Looper, Redux, Spectral Time. Just drop 'em in the chain and go for it. You can go far beyond what Data Bender does.
That didn’t come across as rude..don’t worry.

I like Beat Repeat but I never seem to get anything subtle from it. Also I can’t quite get the nice audio drop out effect using the Ableton devices, which is why I was hoping someone might share some techniques to give me a head start.
nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nostalghia »

This plug-in has a 10 day free trial and should be able to get you closer. Independent adjustments for noise, bit reduction, dropouts, flutter, etc. Magnitude slider to go from subtle to very heavy overall degradation.
https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addic ... etro_color
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

Nidopallium wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:23 am
dubonaire wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:30 am

That didn’t come across as rude..don’t worry.

I like Beat Repeat but I never seem to get anything subtle from it. Also I can’t quite get the nice audio drop out effect using the Ableton devices, which is why I was hoping someone might share some techniques to give me a head start.
Can you post an example of the effect you are talking about?

I like Beat Repeat. Audio Damage has a similar but perhaps more sophisticated plugin called Replicant. And then of course there is the old favourite Glitch.
Scatre
Common Wiggler

Post by Scatre »

What dubonaire said. Every function on Data Bender can be recreated in Live 11. There's some preset effect racks (specifically Stutter Glitch and Drum Noise) that can give you an idea of what can be done.
Nidopallium
Common Wiggler

Post by Nidopallium »

Thanks.

I was thinking specifically of 7.20 in this video

PS I discovered Maria Chavez thanks to this video.
Scatre
Common Wiggler

Post by Scatre »

Nidopallium wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:12 am Thanks.

So 2 things. Buffer addressing stuff doesn’t exist natively in Live’s effects, but does in Max for Live. An obvious one to check is Buffer Shuffler. That’s where you’ll get your buffer timeline jumps/ pitch effects and reverses, as opposed to just simple repeats, ala Beat Repeat. Also, the new Shifter effect controls pitch shifting/ warping in real-time now.

Dropout effects can be achieved with Dynamic Tube’s bias control and a Gate set before it, but I also suggest experimenting with time quantized envelope/ LFO modulation over Redux for this, as well as exploring other max for live patches to mess with bitwise/ XOR effects.
Scatre
Common Wiggler

Post by Scatre »

Also, thanks for putting me up in Maria Chavez!
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

You can get drop outs to silence with Beat Repeat though. You can also use gating. I agree that M4L is worth exploring.

One kind of pedantic point I have to make is that is not the aesthetics of failure, it’s very deliberate and deterministic processing. The device is not failing, it’s doing what it was designed to do. But it is imitating the aesthetics of failure and that’s fine. Actually you’ve made me interested in the module.

The aesthetics of failure is a term coined by Kim Cascone in this seminal paper https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~adnanm/DAT3 ... ascone.pdf
Nidopallium
Common Wiggler

Post by Nidopallium »

Thanks guys. I have never used Buffer Shuffler or Shifter so plenty to experiment with.
chupanebre
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chupanebre »

Scatre wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:33 am
Nidopallium wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:12 am Thanks.

So 2 things. Buffer addressing stuff doesn’t exist natively in Live’s effects, but does in Max for Live. An obvious one to check is Buffer Shuffler. That’s where you’ll get your buffer timeline jumps/ pitch effects and reverses, as opposed to just simple repeats, ala Beat Repeat. Also, the new Shifter effect controls pitch shifting/ warping in real-time now.

Dropout effects can be achieved with Dynamic Tube’s bias control and a Gate set before it, but I also suggest experimenting with time quantized envelope/ LFO modulation over Redux for this, as well as exploring other max for live patches to mess with bitwise/ XOR effects.
Holy smokes! Buffer Shuffler is amazing!!!! If it was a snake it would have bit me!!! Thanks for this thread everyone! :hail:
apollinaire2k
Common Wiggler

Post by apollinaire2k »

Where can I find Buffer Shuffler 2.0?

UPDATE - Once I logged-in and was able to download from Abelton's site!
:doh:

Return to “Music Software”