Es-9 inputs and outputs

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

Octognoma
Learning to Wiggle

Es-9 inputs and outputs

Post by Octognoma »

Hi,

I have tried searching here and online for this question so have come here.
I have a Es-9 and am looking at using it to use outboard effects with audio sent out from my DAW.
Is there any need to use input / output modules to attenuate levels up to modular level or down to line level? Or can this all be achieved within the daw and the hardware itself?

I also have a tesseract sweet sixteen that i would like to use via midi to control the input volumes of the es-9, there is a web interface for the sweet sixteen that you can assign midi CC's which i understand how it works no problem as you can assign them manually.

What i'm confused about is once this is set, will the midi cc numbers change automatically when the es9 is used with a daw (i'm using it as a aggregated device) and again when used in standalone mode for gigging. Meaning i need to make two sets of presets on both the es9?

What is the exact control name/label needed to control the gain of each of the individual input levels?

I just can't get my head around how the es-9's midi ccs are assigned and how they change dynamically when the settings on the es-9 are changed.
i have read through the manual many times and am hoping someone can help here!

Many thanks!
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Es-9 inputs and outputs

Post by os »

Is there any need to use input / output modules to attenuate levels up to modular level or down to line level? Or can this all be achieved within the daw and the hardware itself?
Try it without. Depending on the exact outboard involved it may work perfectly well. You may need to turn down the send in the DAW to avoid clipping; you may need to apply gain to the return in the DAW to boost the level.

If you're using a DAW I suggest you completely ignore the ES-9's mixer. You can do everything you might need to do in the DAW, with a nice GUI.

The ES-9's MIDI CC assignments never change. They are totally fixed.
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/

If you have enjoyed my posts, please consider buying my album:
https://andrew-ostler.bandcamp.com/albu ... g-the-line
Octognoma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Octognoma »

os wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:10 am
Try it without. Depending on the exact outboard involved it may work perfectly well. You may need to turn down the send in the DAW to avoid clipping; you may need to apply gain to the return in the DAW to boost the level.

If you're using a DAW I suggest you completely ignore the ES-9's mixer. You can do everything you might need to do in the DAW, with a nice GUI.

The ES-9's MIDI CC assignments never change. They are totally fixed.
Perfect, thanks OS, the reason i was keen to use midi to control levels is that it is much more immediate when im facing my rack. jumping between the mouse and the rack is slow and if i get peaky levels i want to control the sound to protect my speakers.

Is there a Midi CC list you can direct me to so i can find the CC's for input levels? this way i can make a performance template when using standalone.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

the reason i was keen to use midi to control levels is that it is much more immediate when im facing my rack
Sure, but if you're using a DAW, use MIDI to control the levels in your DAW.

The ES-9 has no input level controls, hence no CCs for input levels.
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/

If you have enjoyed my posts, please consider buying my album:
https://andrew-ostler.bandcamp.com/albu ... g-the-line
Octognoma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Octognoma »

my frustration is making sense now. Thanks for clearing this up!

Return to “Expert Sleepers”